• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kinda a big Q...

UTOC-45-44

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
ok, and back to the school subject... does it say "must be atleast 1000' away from the school if you are in posession of a loaded firearm"? because if it does... LEGALLY were not breaking the law! (weapon is deemed loaded when an unexpended cartridge is in firing position ;))

As a NON-Permit holder you cannot be within a 1000feet of school/Property with ANY Firearm.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000921----000-.html

25) The term “school zone” means—

(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

This means you couldn't even LIVE within a 1000 feet without a Permit, which to me is Unconstitutional.

(26) The term “school” means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Here is part of the "school zone" law... Firearms on private property within that 1000 feet are allowed.

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm— (i) on private property not part of school grounds

b1ack5mith

imported post

"excuse me, youre carrying a firearm in a school zone sir."

"what? oh im sorry officer! i was not educated that this was a school zone!" like that? lol!

xmirage2kx

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
"excuse me, youre carrying a firearm in a school zone sir."

"what? oh im sorry officer! i was not educated that this was a school zone!" like that? lol!
B1ack5mith says as he is playing tetherball on the school playground. ;)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
...This means you couldn't even LIVE within a 1000 feet without a Permit, which to me is Unconstitutional....

I ran across this issue when I moved into my new apartment. I didn't even think about it at the time, but the only thing separating my apartment and the local highschool's football field is 10 feet of trees and a fence. It dawned on me one day that I might be breaking federal law by having guns in my house. I looked everything up and found that same exception that has already been quoted, stating that having a permit from the state should cover me (for that 1000 feet crap). I still wasn't completely sure, though, so I decided to ask the local PD in a round about fashion (after all, they would be the only ones to arrest me for it). They told me that if your apartment or house was within the 1000 feet zone, they don't have any problems as long as you don't wander around outside with a firearm or go for a walk past the school or anything stupid like that. They suggested that if I was transporting or carrying firearms, that I simply move them from the house to the car in a quick, discreet matter. They also confirmed that since I had a concealed carry permit, it was legal for me to be within that 1000 feet regardless.

I don't know how much of that was law and how much of that was opinion, but I couldn't argue with it.

xmirage2kx

imported post

I am to lazy to look up the law, But I know that it is legal to have a gun on your property regardless of how close your house is to a school (any state). And if you are transporting a gun to a legal destination you may also have a gun within 1000ft of a school (rules of transportation apply as defined in your state). Where the law does get a bit grey is say you had to stop at a 7-11 that is within 1000ft of a school while transporting a gun. But it IS legal to take your gun from your house out to your car and drive away (within 1000ft of a school), same would be true for walking (in many states)to a shooting range past a school (but you may receive some grief. I would call ahead to the range to let them know you are coming if you choose this route so you have proof of your destination).

mrbigthoughguychris

imported post

I am quite sure that you cannot OC on schoold grounds, but here in Utah there was a big tahdoo about CC in schools.
The verdict was that you can CC in and on school property.

the University of Utah was big into the anti gun on campus deal and lost.
Now many instructors are offering FREE CCW classes to UofU students.

HAHA eat that

OC on School property is not allowed though.

I do not carry CC or otherwise in my daughter's school.

sorry to bump in, but would a few of you mind reading my post and answering my questions. thanks.

xmirage2kx

imported post

You CAN OC in a (public) school, But It is not recommended. U of U will most likely suspend you if you are a student, and it may or may not be worth your time in court to win (which I am sure you would as it IS legal) and you may get the “man with a gun” call in a grade school. Private schools can make up any rule they want, but you would only be charged with trespassing.