• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SERPA Level 2 Duty Holster

AZRaptor

imported post

Before posting, I searched on this and only found one 6 month old thread that even mentions it, so I figured I should ask anew. Has anyone used the Blackhawk SERPA Duty holsters such as the one seen below.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=44H013BK-R

44H0_0.JPG

I'm looking for something to open carrymy Glock 21 here in Arizona. I am looking for something that hangs below the belt line without going to a thigh rig. I've tried the CQC model and it rides too high for my preference. Additionally I've tried the Safariland 6360 which is a mid ride holster. They have a low ride version, but I didn't care much for the SLS/ALS system and the SERPA method seems much easier for me to draw from.

ijusam

imported post

yes, I have one. I also have a serpa CQC which I also thought rode a little high. I kinda like it,

PROS:

It rides in a better position.

Cons:

1. Difficult to get on and offa belt. it would be much easier to mount to a second belt, but I don't like the "bat belt" idea.

2. It is built with extra material that blocks the view of the slide and requires you to lift the gun higher during a draw. I have been thinking of modifying mine to the same shape as the CQC. the CQC is not interchangeable as the screws that secure holster are different thread size and the head of the screws are also not the same diameter.

3. it has a tendency to hang up as the holster is not secured assolidly as with the paddle, it does have a threaded insert at the bottom of the holster... perhaps this is for a tie down? I didn't see on listed as an accessory on their website, but a single tiedown wouldn't be as obvious as a thigh rig.

** I have been toying with the idea of reshaping the belt drop to allow it to be placed on a belt and removed with ease. I think this would increase my satisfaction with the holster. removal of material is no problem, but does anyone know of an easy way to reshape carbon fiber without messing it up?**

ChinChin

imported post

AZRaptor wrote:
Why is it difficult to get on and off a belt?

The CQC I have slips right on with no problem, but has 3 "hooks" built in that secure around your belt and are designed to keep it from sliding up when you sit down or squat.

They were built on to keep the holster in place, and they do their job extremely well. If you want to take the holster off but leave your belt on, you have to push the holster into your side to clear the bottom mounted hooks, and then slide it up slightly and then push in the top of the holster against you to clear the top hooks, while at the same time not "reactch" the bottom hook, which happens quite often.

All in all it's a great holster and I still use it, but it can be a pain to remove (which depending on the circumstance can also be a selling point!)

ijusam

imported post

AZRaptor wrote:
the design is different than the cqc belt loop attachment. for a standard thickness belt,I had to fully loosen two screws but the screws don't come out they remain connected to the "nut", force the tip of the belt through the loop, grab the belt with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it through far enough to repeat on the other loop. Perhaps mine is defective? but once placed on a "Bat Belt" it won't slide around.

Prometheus

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
AZRaptor wrote:

The CQC I have slips right on with no problem, but has 3 "hooks" built in that secure around your belt and are designed to keep it from sliding up when you sit down or squat.

I removed two of the hook on mine and just have the bottom one now. Makes it alot easier to slip on and off, but still offers decent grip. I use mine with a Service XD-9. Great carry setup.

ijusam

imported post

Prometheus wrote:
ChinChin wrote:
AZRaptor wrote:

I removed two of the hook on mine and just have the bottom one now. Makes it alot easier to slip on and off, but still offers decent grip. I use mine with a Service XD-9. Great carry setup.

yes the cqc does fit right on the belt, but the discussion is about the belt loops on the duty holster. I am just relaying my experience with my duty holster. if not defectively made, it is a bit** to get on and off a belt. on the blackhawk website there is a picture of the level three that the screws come out of the nut. perhaps I was just afraid to pry too hard and break my holster.

nickerj1

imported post

Prometheus wrote:
Yes I am. I prefer the paddle to the belt loop.

It's also physically impossible to put a beltman belt through Blackhawk's belt loop platform. The hooks are too close together, and aren't angled towards one another enough to fit a belt-not-made-to-bend through it.