• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who carries with a second "gun belt"?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I was reading over another thread where someone mentioned that their "duty" holster was very difficult to constantly put on and take off of their trouser belt, which would lead me to believe that the holster was designed to be installed securely on a gun belt and left there. So that got me thinking, does anyone here consistently carry with a gun belt? It seems that this mode of carry would be very practical, relatively easy to remove if necessary (compared to threading a belt holster off of your trouser belt), and possibly more comfortable. On the other hand I can see how this would move into the tacti-cool realm, and make the fact that you're carrying much more obvious.

So yeah, does anyone carry like this? Whether you do or not, what are your thoughts?

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

This is precisely why I carry a paddle style holster and a clip on mag pouch... the only thing that is threaded on my belt is my multitool pouch.

I don't like the idea of the duty belt. The idea of a gun belt is okay... if it's worn like a regular belt. Wearing two belts (one over the other)does, in my opinion, cross over into the tacticool realm that I think many of us try to avoid (some don't, and hey that's cool... to each his/her own).

BenjaminHare

imported post

I live in Wyoming and routinely use a second gun-belt in order to carry openly in cold weather. It's a leather holster attached to an easily removeable belt and sits low on my right hip. It has actually turned out to be quite a hassle for one reason; it's difficult to get in and out of my truck. When I'm in the truck I have to remove the pistol from the holster and put it between the seats or in my console underneath the dash. Otherwise the barrel is pointed in an unsafe direction (i.e. the vehicle in front of me.) Then I've got to contort my body in order to get the pistol back into the holster before I exit the vehicle.

It certainly is not elegant but allows me to carry openly whilst wearing a winter coat.

Cheers.

Agent6-3/8

imported post

Depends on what I'm doing. For general carry no. However, much of the time in the woods I carry my handgun along with a knife and somtimes canteen on a seperate belt.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

BenjamineHare, you brought up the other point that I forgot to mention. A separate gun belt would allow you to more easily carry over a coat. I guess when I picture it in my mind, I see two types. The nylon or leather cop-style duty belt (tacti-cool), or a western style leather gun belt (cowboy). I'd like to think that with the right outfit, someone could pull it off and make it look somewhat normal.

AZRaptor

imported post

I was thinking of going this route because I am looking for a low ride holster and most seem to be duty holsters with screw down attachment. If you are wearing a second belt around your waist and over your primary belt can the first belt even be seen? Also I would suspect that if your 1st belt were the same color it might make it harder to see there were two belts if it did become exposed. What about wearing just the gun belt without a threaded through first belt. Provided your paints stay up without a belt wouldn't that reduce the tacticool look?

metricinch

imported post

ruger%20belt.jpg

I have not oc'd with the Ruger, but I have cc'd with the belt worn as shown, I don't think anyone noticed...

Mjolnir

imported post

BenjaminHare wrote:
I live in Wyoming and routinely use a second gun-belt in order to carry openly in cold weather. It's a leather holster attached to an easily removeable belt and sits low on my right hip. It has actually turned out to be quite a hassle for one reason; it's difficult to get in and out of my truck. When I'm in the truck I have to remove the pistol from the holster and put it between the seats or in my console underneath the dash. Otherwise the barrel is pointed in an unsafe direction (i.e. the vehicle in front of me.) Then I've got to contort my body in order to get the pistol back into the holster before I exit the vehicle.

It certainly is not elegant but allows me to carry openly whilst wearing a winter coat.

Cheers.
Yep, it can be a pain to get in and out of a vehicle with a drop holster, that's one reason why I like em to ride as higs as pssible instead of down low on the thigh.

Why do you draw & holster your pistol every time you enter or exit the truck? Is it not that it's pointed in an "unsafe" direction but you don't feel comfortable with it pointed foreward? The pistol can actually be more of a hazzard if you are involved in a crash than if it stays in it's holster on your person. Not to mention every time you draw or holster it you increase the potental for a AD/ND.