• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kiss of death for Fred Thompson from PMSNBC Tim Russert

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
Does this forum software offer a way to block a user's posts? I've seen it on other forums and it sure would come in handy here.

Every Right implies a duty. The First Amendment implies a duty to at least tolerate what we find offensive. We speak so much more of our Rights than of our duties. Maybe the First Duty is to opine responsibly and with discrimination rather than spewing explanation and correction.

Offense, like beauty, lies in the eye of the beholder.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Cue-Ball wrote:
Does this forum software offer a way to block a user's posts? I've seen it on other forums and it sure would come in handy here.

Every Right implies a duty. The First Amendment implies a duty to at least tolerate what we find offensive. We speak so much more of our Rights than of our duties. Maybe the First Duty is to opine responsibly and with discrimination rather than spewing explanation and correction.

Um, what would the Second Duty be????

;)

Tomahawk

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Cue-Ball wrote:

Offense, like beauty, lies in the eye of the beholder.
Good, do your duty and read posts you have no interest in. Fill me in later.

ghostrider

imported post

I find this topic interesting. I’ve often heard people say that, “a vote for RP is a vote for Hillary”, (first time I’ve heard the reference to Giuliani). Or, that a vote for RP is taking a vote away from Thompson, McCain, Romney, as well as Huckabee and some of the other lower tier candidates. It’s all nonsense. A vote for RP is a vote for RP.

The type of people who support Ron Paul wouldn’t vote for someone like Giuliani, McCain, Romney, or Thompson. Either one of those candidates represents more of what we’ve had for the last seven years, and the people made it known what they thought of that in the 2006 election. Give Rudy McRomney, or Fred Thompson the nomination, and the same thing will happen that happened in 2006. The Republicans will loose. People who support RP support him because of his message that is backed by his record. None of the other top tier candidates come close to that and the majority of his supporters understand this. Therefore, a vote for Ron Paul wouldn’t take a vote from Giuliani, McCain, Romney, or Thompson.

Now, Thompson supporters, who are freedom minded, could be swayed toward Ron Paul when they discover that Thompson isn’t what they initially thought. That’s possible because while his message does sound conservative, his record is close to being in lock step with the current administration. People who support Ron Paul know what he stands for, while Thompson is sometimes riding on sound bites.

The idea of Ron Paul “taking votes away from” some of the lower tier candidates may have something in the sense that Hank refers to. However, they are second tier, and Ron Paul isn’t. Ron Paul has a better chance of getting the nomination than they do. Just yesterday, the guy raised $3.8 million in just one day. It’s gotten to the point where they can no longer ignore him, so now they are trying to demonize him.

I do agree with Hank T’s theory to a certain degree. If you support Huckabee, and dislike any of the other candidates, then you should vote for Huckabee, because you don’t want the others to get the nomination anyway. However, if you think you could support one of the top tier candidates then, voting for Huckabee is most likely taking a vote away from that candidate that you could support. The problem with Hank T’s theory is that it makes an assumption that Ron Paul supporters would support another candidate other than Giuliani, but that is just plain false. Sure, there may be some fence sitters that could see themselves as voting for Thompson, but they’d most likely vote for him anyway since “He’s that Law & Order guy!” Supporters of the Ron Paul revolution support Dr. Paul because they don’t like what we currently have, and they see Thompson as more of the same, just as they also see Rudy McRomney as more of the same.

I dislike Hillary just as much as I do Rudy McRomney, and I really don’t see Thompson doing very much different that the current prez. Therefore, none of those people will get my vote. If I thought Giuliani, McCain, Romney, or Thompson was that much better than Hillary Obama (the analogy of the plane and the train was spot on), then one of them would probably get my vote, but that isn’t going to happen. If you want to make sure that Ron Paul doesn’t get the nomination, then start posting like Hank T, and vote for one of the other candidates. If you aren’t sure about RP, then do some research. Read his writings, speeches, and voting record. Don’t just take Sean Hannity’s word for it, do the research yourself. There’s going to be a lot of misinformation put out on him by people who want to see him fail. If OTH you think he might make a good prez, then vote for him in the primary, and vote for him in the general regardless if he wins the primary. You won’t be alone.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Drudge is reporting that Fred Thompson was heard off-mike saying to a Fox reporter that he doubts he will be president.

Stick a fork in him; he's done.:p

sedjester

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
<snip>

The type of people who support Ron Paul wouldn’t vote for someone like Giuliani, McCain, Romney, or Thompson. Either one of those candidates represents more of what we’ve had for the last seven years, and the people made it known what they thought of that in the 2006 election. Give Rudy McRomney, or Fred Thompson the nomination, and the same thing will happen that happened in 2006. The Republicans will loose. People who support RP support him because of his message that is backed by his record. None of the other top tier candidates come close to that and the majority of his supporters understand this. Therefore, a vote for Ron Paul wouldn’t take a vote from Giuliani, McCain, Romney, or Thompson.

<snip>

I second that!

AbNo

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Drudge is reporting that Fred Thompson was heard off-mike saying to a Fox reporter that  he doubts he will be president.

Stick a fork in him;  he's done.:p

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/06/wuspols106.xml
Trying to encourage his studio to hurry up so an interview could start, Carl Cameron of Fox News said into his microphone: "The next president of the United States has a schedule to keep." Standing beside him, a deadpan Mr Thompson interjected: "And so do I."

No NAU

imported post

HankT wrote:
Knock your socks off, guys. But....

a vote for Ron Paul = a vote for Rudy Giuliani

yessmiley.gif

Paul is ruining the CFR, Trilateral, Bilderberg plan.

The plan is to put Hillary in office. That's why she was at the last Bilderberg meeting.

Giulianni is the straw man candidate. There is no way he can win the middle American vote. He is perceived as too "big city." So head to head against he will lose.

Hillary will get a bunch of Dem votes by default and then she'll get a bunch of GOP votes from the folks who just can't stomach Giulianni.

Then she gets on board with the UN liscensing and taxing our guns etc.

Even if Giulianni won we would still get the same plan as he is CFR too.

Without Paul I don't see that this country has much left other than watching the CFR's/Bilderberg plan, that has been rolling for 50 years, continue to play out with the destruction of our constitution.

imperialism2024

imported post

dngreer wrote:
I am tired of being told (now, also by the NRA) that if I vote for a third party candidate, I am taking away from the "wonderful", "gun-loving" republicans. That's bull, it's time the NRA Republicans stop assuming that we're going to jump in line when they say so. Maybe if they loose some elections because we refuse to get in bed with theanti-America crowd, they'll wake up. The Republicans are still trying to figure out why they didn't get reelected during the last election. They're screwing us, and we are sick of it. But they assume they aren't liberal enough, and just go farther off the deep end. Until they wake up, I am done with politicians who whip out the NRA membership card and say "I love guns, see?" Bull, all that means is you paid the NRA $25.00 for a piece of plastic. Look at the candidate's record and judge them on that.Not the fake smiles, perfectly ironedplaid shirts partially covered with a tactical shooting vest in an attempt to look they shoot all the time, and the humorous but disgusting attempts to get votes from the 2nd amendment crowd just because they hold a gun or have a photo session with them attempting to shoot a gun. You know what fake conservative Democrats and Republicans? If Hilary gets elected because we voted for a third party candidate who really really "gets it" then I'm OK with that. The fake conservatives are pushing us down the same road that Hilary is on, the only difference is that Hilary is taking us there on a plane, and they're taking us on a train. It's like choosing between being murdered or being killed on purpose; it's the same frickin' thing.
An earlier post in the thread, I know, but I have to agree with this 100%.

And, once again, I have yet to hear an answer of why the GOP must remain dedicated to gun owners' rights.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Interesting discussion but getting way off topic from the OP. Which was very interesting to see Thompson backing off his strong progun statement after VA Tech.
I think the question is he trustworthy enough to get the 'gun vote'.

imperialism2024

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Interesting discussion but getting way off topic from the OP. Which was very interesting to see Thompson backing off his strong progun statement after VA Tech.
I think the question is he trustworthy enough to get the 'gun vote'.
I'm convinced that he can be perceived as trustworthy enough by the "Second Amendment Right to Hunt"/sh**ple contingent of the "gun vote". I think the more important question is whether he will pay back his pro-gun supporters, and I feel the answer to that is "no".

imperialism2024

imported post

longwatch wrote:
More whichever way the wind is blowing, is the way I see him acting.
Especially if, God forbid, he wins the Republican nomination and finds the need to act more "moderate" in comparison to Clinton.

What would also be interesting would be to find numbers for approximately how many gun owners own guns for defense as opposed to those who own guns exclusively for hunting purposes. I really have no clue as to what that ratio is, yet it seems to be very important in these questions. If the self-defense crowd is only a minority in the "gun vote", then the situation becomes much more perilous when our chosen representative decides that he can afford to discard us in favor of appeasing anti-gun people through only allowing "hunting gun" legislation.