Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Goings on in Tacoma

Post imported post

This will be a recurring thread of firearms and firearms related calls that I hear on my scanner. Sometimes it’s pretty entertaining.

3 Nov 07: Someone called the police to report several subjects in the park (I missed which park, but I think it was Wright Park) with rifles. The dispatcher called the officer back to report the caller said the rifles were lying in the grass. About five minutes later the officer, noticeably irritated, called dispatch to report that it was the National Guard practicing. He also mentioned that it was clearly obvious that was what they were and to ignore any other calls.

Post imported post

5 Nov 07: Dispatch reporting a firearms theft as part of a vehicle break in.

My commentary: This is not good for anyone. Now some bozo, who was probably breaking into a car to steal some CDs to sell, is armed. This is one reason I think the laws about not carrying your CCW into bars etc are stupid. It’s not as bad here in WA as in some states where you cannot carry into even a grocery store that sells beer.

Post imported post

The Washington National Guard drills in Wright's Park? Really?

I wonder if it wasn't some JROTC group or something (which would obviously mean they weren't using real rifles, either.)

Post imported post

Oh, and are you posting these from Cutter's Point? I meant to go by there after work today to see if you were present, but ended up telecommuting instead. Sorry, no way to beam myself downtown in time. ;-)

Post imported post

kparker wrote:
    Oh, and are you posting these from Cutter's Point? I meant to go by there after work today to see if you were present, but ended up telecommuting instead. Sorry, no way to beam myself downtown in time. ;-)
    Not tonight, I'm meeting SV there tomorrow.

Post imported post

Oh, Tuesday night? Do you want others to join in?

Post imported post

kparker wrote:
    Oh of course! I thought about posting it but since the information was already there and nobody expressed any interest, I didn't. I'll be there around 5:30, after work. I'll be the guy with the gun.

Post imported post

Wait, what is this? I'm a bit lost. Where is Cutter's Point?

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    5 Nov 07: Dispatch reporting a firearms theft as part of a vehicle break in.

My commentary: This is not good for anyone. Now some bozo, who was probably breaking into a car to steal some CDs to sell, is armed. This is one reason I think the laws about not carrying your CCW into bars etc are stupid. It’s not as bad here in WA as in some states where you cannot carry into even a grocery store that sells beer.
    I don't know what bars have to do with this particularcall.

Was the gun stolen from a guy who left it in his car because he was going inside a bar to drink? If not, then the bar thing is irrelevant.

More important is the gunowner's responsibility to secure his gun adequately when leaving it in his car. Was it secured properly? Was it locked in some or any manner?

If not, it's the same ole irresponsible gun-guy story....and the gun-guy is really the bozo since he facilitated a gun getting into a criminal's hands.

Further, if the gun wasnot properly secured and that gun ends up being used to shoot some poor man or woman in the head, that gun-guy is even worse than a bozo...

Post imported post

Just to help clarify regarding cc, you may carry in a grocery store or other place that sells alcohol. You may not in a bar or place that serves alcohol. You are probably well aware of this mainsail, but the reasoning behind not carrying in a bar is that when people drink, their judgement is impaired and a bar fight may become a gunfight.
    If you have to fight, do not fear death. We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely! And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly. Meet him as the proud warrior that you are, and not as a sniveling coward. Nobody lives forever.

Post imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
    Just to help clarify regarding cc, you may carry in a grocery store or other place that sells alcohol. You may not in a bar or place that serves alcohol. You are probably well aware of this mainsail, but the reasoning behind not carrying in a bar is that when people drink, their judgement is impaired and a bar fight may become a gunfight.
    I can carry where alcohol is served. The law only applies to a part of an establishment that is off limits to persons under 21 as classified by the liquor board.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

You are correct, I should have made that distinction regarding restaurants as opposed to a straight up bar/tavern.
    If you have to fight, do not fear death. We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely! And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly. Meet him as the proud warrior that you are, and not as a sniveling coward. Nobody lives forever.

Post imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
    Downtown, across Pacific Ave, and east, from the Federal Courthouse, Museum of Glass, and Union Station. It’s right next to The Harmon Brewery Restaurant. Parking can be a bitch; most of it is one-hour parking only, but be careful of the signs that say 15 minute parking only. Expect to walk a little ways; you won’t likely find any close in parking.

Post imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
    There is NO law/code against carrying at ANY alcohol serving/selling establishment here in Utah. I don't drink when my wife and I are out due to the fact 1) I drive 2) I don't wanna "loose" control of NOT being able to defend myself and my wife at ANY time.

Carry on:celebrate.

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    compmanio365 wrote:
    Downtown, across Pacific Ave, and east, from the Federal Courthouse, Museum of Glass, and Union Station. It’s right next to The Harmon Brewery Restaurant. Parking can be a bitch; most of it is one-hour parking only, but be careful of the signs that say 15 minute parking only. Expect to walk a little ways; you won’t likely find any close in parking.
    I'll show up around 6 if I'm welcome.....

State Researcher

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    kparker wrote:
    Oh of course! I thought about posting it but since the information was already there and nobody expressed any interest, I didn't. I'll be there around 5:30, after work. I'll be the guy with the gun.
    I'll be the other guy with a gun :-)

Steve

Post imported post

Hmm....I forgot I had a friend coming over tonight, and I didn't get home until after 6 anyway (thanks sound transit....). It seems I'm doomed never to make it to any meetup regarding OC.....:shock:

State Researcher

Post imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
    Hmm....I forgot I had a friend coming over tonight, and I didn't get home until after 6 anyway (thanks sound transit....). It seems I'm doomed never to make it to any meetup regarding OC.....:shock:
    That reminds me, I keep meaning to email Sound Transit and get them to understand the legality of OC. I want to be able to go from Oly to Lynnwood (a trip I make several times a month) OCing all the way.

Ahh cheer up, sooner or later you will make a meeting. Come down to Oly some Sunday afternoon. We can hang out in the park and eat cookies, a real sure fire way to have fun. Actually was seen by at least on LEO in Oly and possibly as many as three OCing recently. No probs.

Steve

Post imported post

I'll have to make a trip down there, it's not far. Sunday is a good day for me since I don't usually have anything planned that day.

Sound Transit still has "No firearms or weapons" on their reader boards. One of their staff recently stole something of mine that I accidentally left on the train, too, so I don't have really anything good to say about ST lately....I definitely didn't vote to approve the tax increase for Sound Transit this year........

Post imported post

Some sort of armed stand off here this morning. They took it over to Tac1 which is encrypted.

Post imported post

The News Tribune has a brief report on the incident

Nice to meet you guys last night, by the way!

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    Some sort of armed stand off here this morning. They took it over to Tac1 which is encrypted.

So what kind of scanner do you have? I was looking at one, but it was analog and given the price I was pretty sure it wasn't going to get Tacoma PD, maybe Pierce but I don't know if they are on trunked 800 Mhz or not.......I want one but I don't want to shell out hundreds to get one either......for the price of one of the good scanners I bet I could purchase another pistol or lots of ammo.......

Post imported post

19th and sprague.....sounds just right for that area.......gotta love hilltop.

Post imported post

I have the Uniden BC396, which runs about $500 or so. No, the cheap analog scanner won’t be able to receive and decode the system Tacoma uses. Pierce county sheriffs are still analog, but I’m not sure for how much longer. Steilacoom, Gig Harbor, DuPont, and Lakewood are all dispatched through Pierce County West on 155.640.

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Johnny Law wrote:
    There is NO law/code against carrying at ANY alcohol serving/selling establishment here in Utah. I don't drink when my wife and I are out due to the fact 1) I drive 2) I don't wanna "loose" control of NOT being able to defend myself and my wife at ANY time.

Carry on:celebrate.
    That's true, but 100's of people are killed every night because "their judgement is impaired and a bar fight may become a gunfight.".....

What?? You mean they AREN'T?? :what:

Imagine that...

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast