• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Goings on in Tacoma

Mainsail

imported post

This will be a recurring thread of firearms and firearms related calls that I hear on my scanner. Sometimes it’s pretty entertaining.

3 Nov 07: Someone called the police to report several subjects in the park (I missed which park, but I think it was Wright Park) with rifles. The dispatcher called the officer back to report the caller said the rifles were lying in the grass. About five minutes later the officer, noticeably irritated, called dispatch to report that it was the National Guard practicing. He also mentioned that it was clearly obvious that was what they were and to ignore any other calls.

Mainsail

imported post

5 Nov 07: Dispatch reporting a firearms theft as part of a vehicle break in.

My commentary: This is not good for anyone. Now some bozo, who was probably breaking into a car to steal some CDs to sell, is armed. This is one reason I think the laws about not carrying your CCW into bars etc are stupid. It’s not as bad here in WA as in some states where you cannot carry into even a grocery store that sells beer.

kparker

imported post

The Washington National Guard drills in Wright's Park? Really?

I wonder if it wasn't some JROTC group or something (which would obviously mean they weren't using real rifles, either.)

kparker

imported post

Oh, and are you posting these from Cutter's Point? I meant to go by there after work today to see if you were present, but ended up telecommuting instead. Sorry, no way to beam myself downtown in time. ;-)

Mainsail

imported post

kparker wrote:
Oh, and are you posting these from Cutter's Point? I meant to go by there after work today to see if you were present, but ended up telecommuting instead. Sorry, no way to beam myself downtown in time. ;-)
Not tonight, I'm meeting SV there tomorrow.

Mainsail

imported post

kparker wrote:
Oh, Tuesday night? Do you want others to join in?
Oh of course! I thought about posting it but since the information was already there and nobody expressed any interest, I didn't. I'll be there around 5:30, after work. I'll be the guy with the gun.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
5 Nov 07: Dispatch reporting a firearms theft as part of a vehicle break in.

My commentary: This is not good for anyone. Now some bozo, who was probably breaking into a car to steal some CDs to sell, is armed. This is one reason I think the laws about not carrying your CCW into bars etc are stupid. It’s not as bad here in WA as in some states where you cannot carry into even a grocery store that sells beer.

I don't know what bars have to do with this particularcall. :uhoh:

Was the gun stolen from a guy who left it in his car because he was going inside a bar to drink? If not, then the bar thing is irrelevant.

More important is the gunowner's responsibility to secure his gun adequately when leaving it in his car. Was it secured properly? Was it locked in some or any manner?

If not, it's the same ole irresponsible gun-guy story....and the gun-guy is really the bozo since he facilitated a gun getting into a criminal's hands.

Further, if the gun wasnot properly secured and that gun ends up being used to shoot some poor man or woman in the head, that gun-guy is even worse than a bozo...

Johnny Law

imported post

Just to help clarify regarding cc, you may carry in a grocery store or other place that sells alcohol. You may not in a bar or place that serves alcohol. You are probably well aware of this mainsail, but the reasoning behind not carrying in a bar is that when people drink, their judgement is impaired and a bar fight may become a gunfight.

joeroket

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
Just to help clarify regarding cc, you may carry in a grocery store or other place that sells alcohol. You may not in a bar or place that serves alcohol. You are probably well aware of this mainsail, but the reasoning behind not carrying in a bar is that when people drink, their judgement is impaired and a bar fight may become a gunfight.
I can carry where alcohol is served. The law only applies to a part of an establishment that is off limits to persons under 21 as classified by the liquor board.

Johnny Law

imported post

You are correct, I should have made that distinction regarding restaurants as opposed to a straight up bar/tavern.

Mainsail

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Wait, what is this? I'm a bit lost. Where is Cutter's Point?

Downtown, across Pacific Ave, and east, from the Federal Courthouse, Museum of Glass, and Union Station. It’s right next to The Harmon Brewery Restaurant. Parking can be a bitch; most of it is one-hour parking only, but be careful of the signs that say 15 minute parking only. Expect to walk a little ways; you won’t likely find any close in parking.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:

There is NO law/code against carrying at ANY alcohol serving/selling establishment here in Utah. I don't drink when my wife and I are out due to the fact 1) I drive 2) I don't wanna "loose" control of NOT being able to defend myself and my wife at ANY time.

Carry on:celebrate.

compmanio365

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
Wait, what is this? I'm a bit lost. Where is Cutter's Point?

Downtown, across Pacific Ave, and east, from the Federal Courthouse, Museum of Glass, and Union Station. It’s right next to The Harmon Brewery Restaurant. Parking can be a bitch; most of it is one-hour parking only, but be careful of the signs that say 15 minute parking only. Expect to walk a little ways; you won’t likely find any close in parking.
I'll show up around 6 if I'm welcome.....

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
kparker wrote:
Oh, Tuesday night? Do you want others to join in?
Oh of course! I thought about posting it but since the information was already there and nobody expressed any interest, I didn't. I'll be there around 5:30, after work. I'll be the guy with the gun.

I'll be the other guy with a gun :)

Steve

compmanio365

imported post

Hmm....I forgot I had a friend coming over tonight, and I didn't get home until after 6 anyway (thanks sound transit....). It seems I'm doomed never to make it to any meetup regarding OC.....:shock:

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Hmm....I forgot I had a friend coming over tonight, and I didn't get home until after 6 anyway (thanks sound transit....). It seems I'm doomed never to make it to any meetup regarding OC.....:shock:
That reminds me, I keep meaning to email Sound Transit and get them to understand the legality of OC. I want to be able to go from Oly to Lynnwood (a trip I make several times a month) OCing all the way.

Ahh cheer up, sooner or later you will make a meeting. Come down to Oly some Sunday afternoon. We can hang out in the park and eat cookies, a real sure fire way to have fun. :lol: Actually was seen by at least on LEO in Oly and possibly as many as three OCing recently. No probs.

Steve

compmanio365

imported post

I'll have to make a trip down there, it's not far. Sunday is a good day for me since I don't usually have anything planned that day.

Sound Transit still has "No firearms or weapons" on their reader boards. One of their staff recently stole something of mine that I accidentally left on the train, too, so I don't have really anything good to say about ST lately....I definitely didn't vote to approve the tax increase for Sound Transit this year........:uhoh: