• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Goings on in Tacoma

just_a_car

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
7April: South End priority traffic; Center and Pine. Hispanic male 40s with an open carried handgun. There are reports it has a silencer.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see anything illegal mentioned here. Why didn't the dispatcher either request and relay more information or tell the caller that no law was being broken?...

Mainsail

imported post

I didn’t hear where in Tacoma this happened because I’m dealing with a major computer catastrophe, but there was a home invasion somewhere at about 5:30. A single Hispanic male kicked in someone’s back door, the home owner fired a single shot into the ground (floor maybe?) and the man ran off.

May be related, Fircrest stopped a car and has two at gunpoint.

Dave Workman

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
7April: South End priority traffic; Center and Pine. Hispanic male 40s with an open carried handgun. There are reports it has a silencer.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see anything illegal mentioned here. Why didn't the dispatcher either request and relay more information or tell the caller that no law was being broken?...

Yep, a lawmay have beenbroken

In Washington State, you can have a suppressor. You just can't use it, and thatmight technically include merelyputting it on a firearm. There doesn't appear to be much case law on this because cans have been illegal to use for so long.

It's conjecture but someone might have mistaken a compensator for a suppressor. I didn't see it, and neither did any of you guys, so who's to know for sure?

John Hardin

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Mainsail wrote:

In Washington State, you can have a suppressor. You just can't use it, and thatmight technically include merelyputting it on a firearm.
The AG has published an opinion that merely attaching a suppressor to a firearm does not constitute "use". This has been discussed in other threads here.

--
Obama_Bumper_Stickers_animated.gif

Dave Workman

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Mainsail wrote:

In Washington State, you can have a suppressor. You just can't use it, and thatmight technically include merelyputting it on a firearm.
The AG has published an opinion that merely attaching a suppressor to a firearm does not constitute "use". This has been discussed in other threads here.

Bravo for the AG's opinion.

Until a "judge" says it, I don't encourage anyone to be a test case.

I'd certainly concur with the AG's opinion on this, and for what it's worth, I think the things ought to be legal for use, particularly on urban gun ranges and indoor ranges wherenoise is a serious danger to one's hearing. I told that to an ATF guy once and the logic seemed to surprise him.

But I don't make up the rules, and I've seen courts do quite the opposite of what AG's opined in the past.

Mainsail

imported post

Armed robbery of a citizen, somewhere in the North End but I didn't hear where exactly. Suspect is an 18 yo white male armed with a handgun. What's really disturbing is this was a call pending for almost an hour. Some days I think Tacoma might be going under.

UPDATE: Weapon was implied, possibly a hand under his shirt. No actual gun seen. Somehow I tend to think that's a very risky move.

Mainsail

imported post

26 April 2245 Armed robbery of a citizen by two Hispanic males armed with a gun. The citizen was a female, she seems confused about her location; north 9[suP]th[/suP] or south 9[suP]th[/suP], Tacoma is confusing.

OK, it’s Union and North 9[suP]th[/suP]. K9 enroute.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Mt. Tahoma High School was put in lockdown after a student allegedly brought a loaded handgun to school.
Tacoma Police say the student is now in custody and several others have been detained for questioning. No students were hurt and school has been dismissed early.
The student had been suspended from school before showing up on campus.
It’s not immediately clear if another student or an adult first noticed the weapon.
Tacoma Police asked parents during the lockdown not to come to the school because it would have made the situation more chaotic.

As I was leaving with my son today I saw the cops setting up a perimeter in the neighborhood near the school. Real glad I got there early.

just_a_car

imported post

Yikes, M1... that's scary. Even more scary is the fact that not a single teacher could do anything to stop him if he started shooting. :uhoh:

Mainsail, catch anything on the radio about this?

Mainsail

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Yikes, M1... that's scary. Even more scary is the fact that not a single teacher could do anything to stop him if he started shooting. :uhoh:

Mainsail, catch anything on the radio about this?

My reception inside the Castle here at the base is nil for the Tacoma PD freqs, so no. In all likelihood they will have moved it to a Tac channel pretty quickly. The PD knows that the News Tribune is listening, as well as countless other citizens, so they like to keep those transmissions encrypted.

Mainsail

imported post

10 May 2153: Tacoma Police are chasing a confirmed stolen Saturn, 75 miles an hour. The chase went on for about three minutes when a sergeant called it off.

The vehicle went into the water at Day Marine(?). County has one in custody. Driver is still in the car which is submerged. Calling for divers…

quentusrex

imported post

I'm interested in getting some equipment for listening to the airwaves up here in Seattle. Does anyone know what the local LEO's use? and are there any recommendations for equipment? I'd like to look into something I can upgrade with a more powerful antenna in the future.

just_a_car

imported post

This scanner is rather neat. There's been at least 3 automated emergency calls with medical response necessary, one a "Code Yellow", not sure what that is. A whole lot of verbal traffic today.

Mainsail

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
10 May 2153: Tacoma Police are chasing a confirmed stolen Saturn, 75 miles an hour. The chase went on for about three minutes when a sergeant called it off.

The vehicle went into the water at Day Marine(?). County has one in custody. Driver is still in the car which is submerged. Calling for divers…
One dead after Tacoma Police chase
Posted by Ian Demsky @ 02:42:10 pm

Update:

The driver of a stolen car splashed into the water at the Narrows Marina, killing his passenger, late Saturday night after a police chase, police said.

Just before 10 p.m., Tacoma officers tried to stop a stolen car near S. 19th and S. Stevens Streets, police spokesman Mark Fulgum said. It stopped briefly then took off.

Officer pursued it for about a mile and a half to Mildred St., but called off the chase because high speeds made it unsafe to continue, he said.

“It was very short as far as our end of it,” Fulghum said.

Officers continued west at slower speeds with their lights and sirens off. A Fircrest officer in the area spotted the car and assisted Tacoma officers.

Fulghum said he did not believe any cars were in direct pursuit when the car went into the water where 19th dead ends.

The driver was arrested as he climbed out of the water. His passenger did not survive.

He was booked into the Pierce County Jail on suspicion of possession of stolen property, attempting to allude a police vehicle and vehicular assault.
I think he means ‘elude’ not allude.

I guess it's true that there's no honor among thieves. He left his partner in crime to die in the cold Puget Sound water while he made his escape.