• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Goings on in Tacoma

Mainsail

imported post

A 32-year-old man died early Saturday after he was shot at a party in South Tacoma.

Tacoma police spokesman Mark Fulghum said no one has been arrested and that an investigation was ongoing. The name of the man wasn't available from the Pierce County medical examiner.

Neighbors heard shots about 2:30 a.m. and called police. When police and medics arrived, friends of the man were carrying him out of the apartment to take him to the hospital, Fulghum said. Fire Department medics took the man to St. Joseph Medical Center, where he died, Fulghum said.

The incident occurred in an apartment in the 800 block of South 41st Street near South J Street.

Fulghum said detectives interviewed people at the scene but didn't know what led up to the shooting or if the man was shot from inside the apartment or from outside the apartment.

"No one was detained," he said.

This strikes me as somewhat ironic. Hey Mark, I've been detained FOUR times already and I've never shot anyone!

rysa

imported post

Yah, but everyone knows your a dangerous gun-toting maniac Mainsail. Look at the way you stroll up and down Tacoma with a gun on your hip. If you went to more parties i bet you wouldnt get hassled so much. :p

Mainsail

imported post

12 May 1840ish: I was in the bathroom changing a light bulb when this went down. It appears to be some sort of running gun battle between two cars. The police caught up to one car and there is a foot chase. A handgun was recovered in a driveway; an officer was flagged down for that by a citizen. County is there with a K9 unit. They’re setting up a dragnet and taking it to Tac2.

Mainsail

imported post

22 May 1745: TPD is behind a car occupied by someone who was in Hooters armed with a gun. They are waiting for backup. Northbound on Hosmer, pulling in to the 76 station. Beeper is on.

joeroket

imported post

G27 wrote:
I've always wondered what exactly the term "beeper is on" means. Sorry if this has been covered is a noob question. :cry:
It mean that the air on that channel is closed to all traffic except for the dispatch and officers involved in the call. They actually have a beep on the air that beeps every 10 seconds or so.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

joeroket wrote:
G27 wrote:
I've always wondered what exactly the term "beeper is on" means. Sorry if this has been covered is a noob question. :cry:
It mean that the air on that channel is closed to all traffic except for the dispatch and officers involved in the call. They actually have a beep on the air that beeps every 10 seconds or so.

Which is absolutely retarded, because the purpose of clearing the air is so that no audio goes over the radio to give away an officers position....

...So they send out a tone every 10 seconds...

:banghead:

Mainsail

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
joeroket wrote:
G27 wrote:

Which is absolutely retarded, because the purpose of clearing the air is so that no audio goes over the radio to give away an officers position....

No, they clear the air is so thatthe priority radio traffic is not interrupted by routine radio traffic. For example, if Officer Olsen is about to call in his harassment of a citizen and he hears the beeper, he knows to keep his mouth shut for the time being.

joeroket

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
joeroket wrote:
G27 wrote:

For example, if Officer Olsen is about to call in his harassment of a citizen and he hears the beeper, he knows to keep his mouth shut for the time being.
LOL good one.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
joeroket wrote:
G27 wrote:

No, they clear the air is so that the priority radio traffic is not interrupted by routine radio traffic.  For example, if Officer Olsen is about to call in his harassment of a citizen and he hears the beeper, he knows to keep his mouth shut for the time being.

Wow, things really are different out west.. .

heh

Gene Beasley

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
No, they clear the air is so thatthe priority radio traffic is not interrupted by routine radio traffic. For example, if Officer Olsen is about to call in his harassment of a citizen and he hears the beeper, he knows to keep his mouth shut for the time being.
Rockstar all over the keyboard - thanks dude, you made my day anyway :cool:

Mainsail

imported post

6 June 1915: Gunfight – people shooting at each other. The beeper is on. Missed the location, somewhere in the south end. Five shots heard.

EDIT: Shooters possibly in a black Corsica. Tribal has some in custody.

EDIT: Location is 34 and East R.

Mainsail

imported post

Two robberies late Tuesday in Tacoma

Two armed robberies from the Tacoma police media line this morning:

The first occurred about 8:49 p.m.

Three men armed with a .357 revolver carjacked a man. The victim was assaulted as the men stole his 1996 Lexus. The victim suffered minor injuries.

The suspects took off in the victim's car. The car was found about an hour later.

The suspects took the car stereo and speakers, then fled. They've not been arrested.

The investigation was continuing.

Then, shortly after 11:15 p.m., two men armed with handguns robbed a house while a babysitter was asleep inside.

The men entered the home in the 1400 block of South M Street. They took a television and two X-box systems.

The babysitter woke up and the suspects pointed a gun at her.

The suspects fled out the back door with the television and game systems.

No one was injuries and no arrests were reported.

The incident also was under investigation.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WOW!!! That's just awful. You know people that does such things do not live long. And If they every came into my house while I was home I would do my best to make that statement ring true. There are just some evil people in this, and I have no sympathy for them if they ever get what's coming to them.

They just prey on innocent people, and one thing that really pisses me off more than anything is an innocent person becoming a victim.
Mainsail I really like to read these post you send, It shows me all the possible things that could happen to anyone of us on the streets, and I am sure it will keep us that live in the area from becoming complacent in our daily lives. Thanks

Nosrac

imported post

I'd like to listen to Lakewood PD channel.

Lakewood Police Department

Ch2 Dispatched by PCSO [PL 173.8] Tacoma 155.6400 154.7100

I just need to do some research and figure out what all that means and what all I need.

Mainsail

imported post

Nosrac wrote:
I'd like to listen to Lakewood PD channel.

Lakewood Police Department

Ch2 Dispatched by PCSO [PL 173.8] Tacoma 155.6400 154.7100

I just need to do some research and figure out what all that means and what all I need.
Lakewood is dispatched on Pierce County West frequency; 155.640 MHz. Gig Harbor and Fircrest are dispatched on this freq as well. Pierce County East is 154.950. Any scanner you buy will be able to receive these frequencies.

The other number there (173.8), PL, stands for “Private Line” which is the frequency of the sub-audible tone. When there are multiple users on a single frequency, there is a need to separate them from each other. Does Lakewood need or want to hear what Gig Harbor is doing? Not really. If it’s important (bank robbers on the run) dispatch will relay the information. This way if there is a call for LPD, the LPD officers will know it’s for them and not Fircrest or GH. To make it simple, it works like this; the sending radio transmits the sub-audible tone, in this case, 173.8, layered in with the voice in the radio signal. Every radio tuned to the receive freq, in this case 155.640, will briefly listen to the signal before routing it to the speaker. If the tone set in the receiving radio matches the tone transmitted by the sending radio, the LPD officer will hear the call. If it doesn’t, the radio stays silent. Even the cheap FRS radios you buy at Wal-Mart have this feature.

OK, don’t get scared if you don’t really understand all that, it’s really not important to the scanner listener unless you only want to hear LPD and none of the other Pierce County radio traffic. I don’t have the PL set in my scanner or ham radio because I want to hear everything. If you wanted to separate LPD, Fircrest PD, GHPD and whoever else is dispatched on that freq, then you’ll need the PL.

Tacoma, and soon Puyallup, use a trunked radio system, as does McChord AFB and Ft Lewis. You will need a scanner capable of following a trunked radio system if you want to listen to these cities. These are more expensive for two reasons, sophistication and licenses. Obviously you will pay more for more complex electronics, and the scanner manufacturer has to pay licensing fees to Motorola and others for the software licenses needed to follow their unique trunking schemes.

Right now Uniden, Shadio Rack, and GRE all make trunking scanners. If LPD and LFD (and/or Tacoma mall) is all you’re interested in, you can find a used scanner for ~$100 r less. If you want everything, it’s going to cost as much as a good handgun; ~$500 or so.