• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Prohibited areas for carry

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Possession Restrictions

No person, whether or not he or she possesses a permit to carry a concealed weapon, may possess a firearm:

Exhibiting any firearm at a roadside park or safety rest area is also prohibited. Section 408.615(2).

Finally, Nevada prohibits any person from interfering in the legislative process by willfully possessing any firearm in the state legislative building or any other place where the legislature conducts its business, unless the person has legal authority to possess a firearm in these locations. Nev. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 218.542(8).

You also cannot carry in a business which has a "no weapons allowed" sign. Example: Green Valley Library.

bplv

imported post

I think you may be wrong on the list line. Just because a business has a no weapons sign doesn't seem to mean anything unless they are a public building (like government buildings and libraries) but a store wouldn't seem to be a "public" building by the definition in the statue.

--------------
NRS 202.265.
(b) A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.
4. The provisions of paragraph (b) of subsection 3 do not prohibit:
(a) A permittee who is a judge from carrying a concealed firearm in the courthouse or courtroom in which he presides or from authorizing a permittee to carry a concealed firearm while in the courtroom of the judge and while traveling to and from the courtroom of the judge.
(b) A permittee who is a prosecuting attorney of an agency or political subdivision of the United States or of this State from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of a public building.
(c) A permittee who is employed in the public building from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building.
(d) A permittee from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building if the permittee has received written permission from the person in control of the public building to carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of the public building.
5. A person who violates subsection 2 or 3 is guilty of a misdemeanor.
6. As used in this section:
(a) “Child care facility” has the meaning ascribed to it in paragraph (a) of subsection 5 of NRS 202.265.
(b) “Public building” means any building or office space occupied by:
(1) Any component of the Nevada System of Higher Education and used for any purpose related to the System; or
(2) The Federal Government, the State of Nevada or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada and used for any public purpose.
Ê If only part of the building is occupied by an entity described in this subsection, the term means only that portion of the building which is so occupied.
(Added to NRS by 1995, 2725; A 1997, 63; 1999, 2767; 2007, 1914)

combatcarry

imported post

I agree with BPLV... signs only apply to public buildings (unless you are asked to leave). Also, the signs on public buildings only apply to concealed carry. So I've heard that openly carrying in a posted public building is indeed legal, but I don't dare test it.

Also, you're incorrect slightly on the State Parks regulation. If you have a CCW recognized by Nevada it is now okay to carry at state parks.

I just took a "rest stop" at a designated pull out in rural Lincoln County while openly carrying. Its nice to know I should have concealed. I guess only me and the rabbits will know.

lordnitrox

imported post

Has anyone ever OC'ed in the galleria mall? I would think thats a public building, so you can't carry there....yet since it's not owned by the city it would be a privet building. I'm not really sure they have any "no gun" sings on any of the doors, yet I may be wrong.

Marco

imported post

Oct03, I saw my first Unicorn (WFA) there.
I pointed her out to the wife and she said, "Wow, you aren't the only one doing this."
She was packing a Mid sized Glock in a one size fits all UM belt slide holsters.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Galleria has "no weapons" rules, but it really depends on weather or not a security guard notices or not. I was ejected, or rather denied entry for swear words on a t-shirt once.

lordnitrox

imported post

wow..thats odd. I have a shirt that has curse words all over it (t-shirt hell) and they had no issues with me. The only time they had issues was when I was acting like an idiot in Victoria's secret. Though...pretending you are gay and talking about how your best friend would look hot in a thong is not all that bad. I think I may try to OC there to get a gyro...see how it goes.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lordnitrox wrote:
wow..thats odd. I have a shirt that has curse words all over it (t-shirt hell) and they had no issues with me. The only time they had issues was when I was acting like an idiot in Victoria's secret. Though...pretending you are gay and talking about how your best friend would look hot in a thong is not all that bad. I think I may try to OC there to get a gyro...see how it goes.
Bump

So did you ever try to OC there? I was there the other day but opted not to because I was wearing a coat, and while in a holster, my coat sufficiently conceals my weapon so as to make me borderline illegal. Once it gets warmer (or I get my CCW) I'll carry there until ejected. Then send letters to all the store owners.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

NAC 408.615[size=]Prohibited acts.[size=]The following acts are prohibited in a roadside park or safety rest area:

1. The parking of commercial vehicles for commercial reasons, such as unloading or changing cargo. Vehicles may be parked only in areas designated for parking.

2. Exhibiting or using any firearm or other weapon.

The answers.com definition for exhibit.
http://www.answers.com/exhibit&r=67

Definition:

To show outwardly; display: exhibited pleasure by smiling.

To present for others to see: rolled up his sleeve to exhibit the scar.

To present in a public exhibition or contest: exhibited her paintings at a gallery. See synonyms at show.

To give evidence or an instance of; demonstrate: young musicians eager to exhibit their talent; a plant that exhibits dimorphism.

Law.

To submit (evidence or documents) in a court.

To present or introduce officially.

Thesaurus:

1. To make manifest or apparent: demonstrate, display, evidence, evince, manifest, proclaim, reveal, show. See show/hide.
  2. To make a public and usually ostentatious show of: brandish, display, disport, expose, flash, flaunt, parade, show (off), sport. See show/hide.
  3. To be endowed with as a visible characteristic or form: bear, carry, display, have, possess. See show/hide.
Encarta.msn.com definition:

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/exhibit.html

1.transitive and intransitive verbdisplay art:to display something, especially a work of art, in a public place such as a museum or gallery

2.transitive verbshow something to others:to show something off for others to look at or admire
bullet.gif
trans.gif
She decided it was a good time to exhibit her skills as a negotiator.

3.transitive verbreveal quality:to show the outward signs of something, especially an emotion or a physical or mental condition
bullet.gif
trans.gif
The wings exhibited signs of metal fatigue.

4.transitive verblawgive something as evidence:to present something to be used as evidence in a court of law

Are you sure that possessing a firearm is illegal at a roadside park or rest area?

The law says you cannot "exhibit" it. I would not think you are "exhibiting" it just by carrying it. Now if you were brandishing it and waving it around on the other hand I would think that would be exhibiting. Of course I'm no lawyer, and can't claim with any certainty that this is correct, only that it seems that is what it should mean. Thoughts?

CowboyKen

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:

Possession Restrictions

No person, whether or not he or she possesses a permit to carry a concealed weapon, may possess a firearm:

You also cannot carry in a business which has a "no weapons allowed" sign. Example: Green Valley Library.

You left part of this out:

NRS 407.0475, 407.065)

1. In any park, a person shall not:

(a) Use a bow and arrow, slingshot or paint ball launcher;

(b) Possess a firearm, unless:

(1) The firearm is unloaded and inside a vehicle; or

(2) The person in possession of the firearm has a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued pursuant to the provisions of NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, and is carrying the firearm in conformity with the terms of the permit;

.................................................................................................................

If you have a permit you can carry in a state park. Also, a privately owned and operated building is not a "public" building (please see the definition in the code).

Ken

varminter22

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Are you sure that possessing a firearm is illegal at a roadside park or rest area?

The law says you cannot "exhibit" it. I would not think you are "exhibiting" it just by carrying it. Now if you were brandishing it and waving it around on the other hand I would think that would be exhibiting. Of course I'm no lawyer, and can't claim with any certainty that this is correct, only that it seems that is what it should mean. Thoughts?
Personally, I would think you are correct. But if one werecited, it probably all depends upon the LEO and judge. And LEOs and judges tend to apply definitions quite liberally!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CowboyKen wrote:

NRS 407.0475, 407.065)

(2) The person in possession of the firearm has a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued pursuant to the provisions of NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, and is carrying the firearm in conformity with the terms of the permit;

.................................................................................................................

If you have a permit you can carry in a state park. Also, a privately owned and operated building is not a "public" building (please see the definition in the code).

Ken
Ken, since I don't have a Nevada permit, my next question would be can a permit holder OC at a State Park? The statement "conformity with the terms of the permit" seems to imply thatit MUST be concealed as I'm sure the "terms of the permit" do not speak to OC at all (leading to theconfusion that some LEO's have that CC means you cannot OC at all).

That statement regarding the TERMS of the concealed permit might be a legal loophole that would REQUIRE CC at a State Park, precluding OC at all.

CowboyKen

imported post

BobCav wrote:
CowboyKen wrote:

NRS 407.0475, 407.065)

Ken
Ken, since I don't have a Nevada permit, my next question would be can a permit holder OC at a State Park? The statement "conformity with the terms of the permit" seems to imply thatit MUST be concealed as I'm sure the "terms of the permit" do not speak to OC at all (leading to theconfusion that some LEO's have that CC means you cannot OC at all).

That statement regarding the TERMS of the concealed permit might be a legal loophole that would REQUIRE CC at a State Park, precluding OC at all.

Bob, IANAL, but in my opinion the law under which the permit is issued does not require, it allows, concealed carry. It seems to me that open carry would be OK as long as you have a recognized permit. You do have to ask yourself if you want to test the waters or just carry concealed.

Ken

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ken, thanks. That's what I thought.I know my VA CHP says "can", not "must", but thephrase "terms of the permit" are what got me. Even I can read too far into things!

Loneviking

imported post

BobCav wrote:
CowboyKen wrote:

NRS 407.0475, 407.065)

Ken

This statute is giving me a headache. Every June at Mills Park in Carson City the Carson City Rendevous is held. There are scads of gunfighters from clubs all over the west, openly carrying firearms. I think, but I'm not positive, that Mills Park is a state park. If so, how do these folks get around this statute? Because they are carrying openly?

CowboyKen

imported post

This statute is giving me a headache. Every June at Mills Park in Carson City the Carson City Rendevous is held. There are scads of gunfighters from clubs all over the west, openly carrying firearms. I think, but I'm not positive, that Mills Park is a state park. If so, how do these folks get around this statute? Because they are carrying openly?

This is a good question to ask local law enforcement/DA. It may be that these folks have permits and are OK even though they are open carrying, or it may be that for the specific event the rules are waved. Best to check with local authorities and to get it in writing if you plan to participate IMHO.

Ken