• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carol City High teacher shot. Lunch break outside

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.miamiherald.com/854/story/297618.html

BY KATHLEEN McGRORY kmcgrory@MiamiHerald.com
A Miami Carol City Senior High School teacher was shot outside the school Tuesday afternoon, schools officials said.

The teacher, who was not immediately identified, was outside the school enjoying their lunch break when two gunmen approached, said John Schuster, a spokesman for the district. After one opened fire, both fled into a nearby apartment building.

The second teacher was not hurt.

The wounded teacher was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital. His condition was not immediately known.

Both Miami Carol City Senior High, 3422 NW 187th St. in Opa-locka, and nearby Carol City Middle School and Carol City Elementary School were on lockdown, Schuster said.

Miami-Dade police were investigating.

Parents were being urged to stay away from the area. The students were safe,[my emphasis] but the gunmen were still being sought in the neighborhood.
The chilldruun were safe in a disarmed victims' zone - Riiight. Posted to 'News and Political Alerst" for the national interest in school-zones.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Legba wrote:
You can make poison taste good...

Hey, Legba. You made it before they locked youup!! :p

500animation.gif

Congrats!

Legba

imported post

They'll probably introduce this as evidence of my being a confirmed gun nut...

-ljp

imperialism2024

imported post

A little off-topic, I know, but something that I had been thinking about recently...

In a high school or college that is being "locked down", can a student aged 18 or older (i.e. a legal adult) elect to leave the building? Does that depend on state law? Or has it just not been addressed? Seems to me like it could be false imprisonment...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
A little off-topic, I know, but something that I had been thinking about recently...

In a high school or college that is being "locked down", can a student aged 18 or older (i.e. a legal adult) elect to leave the building? Does that depend on state law? Or has it just not been addressed? Seems to me like it could be false imprisonment...

That's a really good issue. One of many in the new lockdown paradigm. Try picking up your ownkid after a lockdown without an ID because you left your license at home...

The lockdown procedure is just about institutionalizedby now. And it's costing all of us, even those who don't have kids in school. The costs, including blatantly unnecessarily imposed costs,are not insignificant.

imperialism2024

imported post

HankT wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

That's a really good issue. One of many in the new lockdown paradigm. Try picking up your ownkid after a lockdown without an ID because you left your license at home...

The lockdown procedure is just about institutionalizedby now. And it's costing all of us, even those who don't have kids in school. The costs, including blatantly unnecessarily imposed costs,are not insignificant.
It's especially troublesome for "legal" adults, as there really should be no discussion as to their decision-making capabilities... while it may be easy to attribute locking down minors as "for their own safety", what is to be done when someone who is legally recognized as being able to make their own decisions about their lives (albeit not regarding self-defense, but I digress) exercising that judgement to leave a lockdown?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
HankT wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

It's especially troublesome for "legal" adults, as there really should be no discussion as to their decision-making capabilities... while it may be easy to attribute locking down minors as "for their own safety", what is to be done when someone who is legally recognized as being able to make their own decisions about their lives (albeit not regarding self-defense, but I digress) exercising that judgement to leave a lockdown?

True. That's at the more visible edges of the monstrocity in place already. I'm sure you can imagine some guy, 18 yrs and 1 month old, saying, "I'm leaving now!" What happens then?

Now imagine it with some armed people in the school. Anyone armed.

I'm sure the number of school lockdowns is in the thousands per year now. Sooner or later one of those is gonna blow up bad. Law of large numbers...

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Law of large numbers...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers

The law of large numbers (LLN) is a theorem in probability that describes the long-term stability of a random variable. Given a sample of independent and identically distributed random variables with a finite population mean and variance, the average of these observations will eventually approach and stay close to the population mean.

The LLN can easily be illustrated using the rolls of a die. That is, outcomes of a multinomial distribution in which the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 are equally likely to be chosen. The population mean (or "expected value") of the outcomes is:

(1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6) / 6 = 3.5.
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]"That struts and frets his hour upon the stage And then is heard no more: it is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing. ..." Macbeth 5.5[/font]