• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Glockster

Make it high enough for concealment and thick enough for cover. :) Then again if it is something an attacking enemy would use for those purposes discretely plant some clamores nearby. :)

OC-ed to Food Lion, Farm Fresh, Rite Aid and now to KFC. :)

LOL...nothing so exciting. I have bonsai and put a nice wall around things so that I could neaten things up a bit. :cool:

45acpForMe

OC-ed to Chipotle for lunch, China Ocean in Kiln Creek for dinner then to Atlantic Coast Tumbling. No issues.

Another Dad at ACT started a conversation about Glocks (he is a fan) and how many new guns are copying the Glock trigger. We talked for a while about Caliber choice, glocks, some of my guns. I gave him a VA OC info card and told him about this website and VCDL briefly. I mentioned the maps being useful for travel and he said he was fine traveling to PA with his CHP. I reminded him that MD and DC were still very anti-2a even though recent lawsuits seem to be going our way. He was shocked and was sure that MD reciprocated his permit. I told him to check and make sure because from everything I have seen, read, heard that is not the case. Overall a good conversation and hopefully a better educated carrier (CC for now but he did say he wanted to OC).

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OC-ed to Chipotle for lunch, China Ocean in Kiln Creek for dinner then to Atlantic Coast Tumbling. No issues.

Another Dad at ACT started a conversation about Glocks (he is a fan) and how many new guns are copying the Glock trigger. We talked for a while about Caliber choice, glocks, some of my guns. I gave him a VA OC info card and told him about this website and VCDL briefly. I mentioned the maps being useful for travel and he said he was fine traveling to PA with his CHP. I reminded him that MD and DC were still very anti-2a even though recent lawsuits seem to be going our way. He was shocked and was sure that MD reciprocated his permit. I told him to check and make sure because from everything I have seen, read, heard that is not the case. Overall a good conversation and hopefully a better educated carrier (CC for now but he did say he wanted to OC).

Were your new found acquantance to be stopped in Maryland w/o the gun being properly secured for travel thru MD, he would be in deep, deep kimchee. Restiction of movement + room and board surely should not be on his agenda.

Maryland and D.C. do not take kindly to transgressions of their laws - they would make an example of him in a heartbeat.

mk4

^^^

Isn't there a thread on this forum about a va resident arrested in md while cc? Going through courts now? :confused:

rdbro83

have recently turned several of my buddies here in the wmbg, newport news area into avid oc'ers. even have them passing out the oc cards, carried tonight to rite aid in williamsburg and farmfresh in norge

45acpForMe

^^^

Isn't there a thread on this forum about a va resident arrested in md while cc? Going through courts now? :confused:

I think you mean this one: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...d-in-Frederick-Md&highlight=virginia+maryland

After reading through and going to the MD website it says: no trial, he took a plea deal. 18 months unsupervised probation.

have recently turned several of my buddies here in the wmbg, newport news area into avid oc'ers. even have them passing out the oc cards, carried tonight to rite aid in williamsburg and farmfresh in norge

Welcome rdbro83! There are definitely a few OC-ers up your way that post from time to time. Maybe you all should schedule a Williamsburg dinner/get-together. Richmond has them monthly if you are willing to travel and we are due for one on the peninsual sometime soon if I can ever get my schedule worked out.

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
To my knowledge Md doesn't recognize anyone else's CHP.
E40E.png

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

The Airframer

OC'd today at Starbucks,Walmart, Gamestop, Olive Garden, Dick's, and Just Nails all on Lynnhaven, then over to the Lynnhaven Mall went in at Barnes and Noble, (didn't see any "No Firearms" signs posted anywhere) went through and over to Old Navy. Also Party City on Independence. No issues at all, I don't think anyone really noticed. Sure seems that I'm the ONLY one that carries around here because I never see anyone else OC-ing, maybe just in my neck of the woods. Might hit the range tomorrow.

MagiK_SacK

OC'd today at Starbucks,Walmart, Gamestop, Olive Garden, Dick's, and Just Nails all on Lynnhaven, then over to the Lynnhaven Mall went in at Barnes and Noble, (didn't see any "No Firearms" signs posted anywhere) went through and over to Old Navy. Also Party City on Independence. No issues at all, I don't think anyone really noticed. Sure seems that I'm the ONLY one that carries around here because I never see anyone else OC-ing, maybe just in my neck of the woods. Might hit the range tomorrow.

You will not see any "no firearms" signs when you enter through a store that has an outside entrance. If you go through one of the normal entrances you will find them there. I can assure you that Lynnhaven mall has a rule on no firearms. My wife works there and I hate it. Now that is not to say you can't carry there, but just be prepared to leave if they ask you to leave. That is unless you want a trespassing charge.

You aren't the only one who carries in that area. I live about 2 minutes away from Lynnhaven mall. You can normally catch me around Lowes off of Holland.

The Airframer

just be prepared to leave if they ask you to leave.

I figured as much. I told my wife it would most likely happen and I was prepared to leave when asked. I recall reading posts somewhere about the malls in the area and how most attaching stores aren't posted, only the main entrance (doesn't the law state every entrance must be posted in a conspicuous location?:eek:) I suppose I didn't disturb anyone because no one disturbed me. I didn't stick around for a samurai foot rub or anything, didn't want to go to the mall to begin with but the wife insisted and I wasn't about to leave my gun in the car- locked up or not. Not my typical stop anyhow.

WhatTimeIsIt?

Open carried to the Five Guys on Battlefield and Bob's Gun Shop in Norfolk. Nobody got shot, except a few silhouettes.

45acpForMe

OC-ed to Subway, Food Lion and Cold Stone ice cream shop. No issues.

A small boy around two at Cold Stone said from his table "That's a gun" a few times before his parents shushed him. They were a bit far away to engage in conversation and another child at the table was crying. There always seems to be a crowd at Cold Stone, inside and outside, so many saw my OC. I don't really like their ice cream but my daughters love it. :-(

Open carried to the Five Guys on Battlefield and Bob's Gun Shop in Norfolk. Nobody got shot, except a few silhouettes.

Glad you made it out alive. :) Welcome back to the land of posters! Haven't seen you post in about a year. :)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
I recall reading posts somewhere about the malls in the area and how most attaching stores aren't posted, only the main entrance (doesn't the law state every entrance must be posted in a conspicuous location?

There is no law in Virginia requiring that signs be posted.

MagiK_SacK

There is no law in Virginia requiring that signs be posted.

You beat me to it kind sir.

Honestly you could walk into a store, see no sign posted anywhere, and if it is company policy still be booted. Heck you could probably be booted at some places if you look at an employee the wrong way.

Doc_Smith

OC'd at Bass Pro Shops today and picked up a holster for my XDM compact. Just FYI the Serpa level 2 Sportster for the XD will work for the XDM. Poor kid working there I asked didn't know but we tried it and it works.

mpg9999

I was at the Newport News GOP mass meeting on Tuesday. I noticed a gentlemen wearing an empty holster. I was wondering why it was empty, but I didn't get a chance to speak with him. It was at the Midtown Community Center off of Jefferson, so carry should not have been prohibited. Anyone on here?

MSC 45ACP

I have my work cut out for me convincing my daughters to OC. So far they both seem more comfortable with CC but will have to wait until they are 21 for a CHP unless we can get the laws changed and push constitutional carry.

My girls are the same way. They don't like to draw attention to themselves. Anyone that has met Bridget can attest that her Glock 21 was "rather large" when she Open Carried. She's only 5' tall. She wants an LCR or Taurus 709 for her upcoming 21st birthday. She's also shopping for concealed-type holsters (IWB) rather than a purse for the reasons stated previously.

Doc_Smith

My girls are the same way. They don't like to draw attention to themselves. Anyone that has met Bridget can attest that her Glock 21 was "rather large" when she Open Carried. She's only 5' tall. She wants an LCR or Taurus 709 for her upcoming 21st birthday. She's also shopping for concealed-type holsters (IWB) rather than a purse for the reasons stated previously.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

I found that on this site. It explains why I open carry pretty well. I don't remember who said it or where it's from origionally. But on an unrelated note I need to take my new XDM to a range. I was thinking of going to The Marksman this Saturday anyone know a better range or want to go with?

ocholsteroc

I recommend the LC9, My aunt got one and I just bought one(lay way) Very good gun, my aunt has the houge grips on her's and I have a set waiting to put on. I don't know if she wants to carry a BUG or not, but I recommend it. I watched a video of this guy, says he carrys 3 to 4 because of postions. Your possible attacker and if you cannot get to one gun or not due to angle/etc.... I recommend a BUG.

OC'ed to walmart the other day, it was clear skies then started to down pour. I came out of walmart and it was rainning like crazy, but clear skies just 2 miles the other way towards home. Got wet lol.

Last edited:

Doc_Smith

Also forgive me for saying but given the ages of your daughters I think they draw attention with or without open carrying. Just my opinion but of course I've never met them. Just consider the young adult male population of Hampton Roads. I think it's still mostly military right? So a young woman is going to draw attention regardless of a weapon or not. Just the opinion of a younger military male.