• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Thundar

imported post

FretlessMayhem wrote:
I was opening carrying my Springfield EMP in an IWB holster in Harris Teeter in Greenbrier last weekend. While trying to decide what kind of meat to pick up for a friend's BBQ, I was pulled aside by the manager and told I was freaking out customers. He was very polite and respectful to me, and told me he was a gun owner also.

He asked if I would mind putting my gun in my car. I replied that I would not do so. I then told him I would compromise and I covered my gun up with my shirt. This satisfied him and he went away.

I'm glad covering it up was enough to keep him happy. Otherwise I would have left and never returned. Harris Teeter has the best meat selection by far, so I'm glad it was semi-resolved.

Also, I believe it was Thundar who stated he OC'd at Greenbrier Mall. If you read the rules and regulations posted on all the entrances, it states that weapons are not allowed, not even for off duty cops. It's rule 20 or 21.
I always park go in and out of theGreenbrier Mall at the Sears Craftsman entrance. That way no matter what candle I have to smell, or what dumb gadget I have to buy, at least I can walk through the tools and I never forget where I parked my truck. It is not, or was not as of two weeks ago, posted at that entrance.

This does bring up an interesting question. Isviolating rule 20 or 21, which was unknown to me, trespassing?

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Thundar wrote:
FretlessMayhem wrote:
I was opening carrying my Springfield EMP in an IWB holster in Harris Teeter in Greenbrier last weekend. While trying to decide what kind of meat to pick up for a friend's BBQ, I was pulled aside by the manager and told I was freaking out customers. He was very polite and respectful to me, and told me he was a gun owner also.

He asked if I would mind putting my gun in my car. I replied that I would not do so. I then told him I would compromise and I covered my gun up with my shirt. This satisfied him and he went away.

I'm glad covering it up was enough to keep him happy. Otherwise I would have left and never returned. Harris Teeter has the best meat selection by far, so I'm glad it was semi-resolved.

Also, I believe it was Thundar who stated he OC'd at Greenbrier Mall. If you read the rules and regulations posted on all the entrances, it states that weapons are not allowed, not even for off duty cops. It's rule 20 or 21.
I always park go in and out of theGreenbrier Mall at the Sears Craftsman entrance. That way no matter what candle I have to smell, or what dumb gadget I have to buy, at least I can walk through the tools and I never forget where I parked my truck. It is not, or was not as of two weeks ago, posted at that entrance.

This does bring up an interesting question. Isviolating rule 20 or 21, which was unknown to me, trespassing?
I was wondering that today as I entered Valley View Mall in Roanoke (unarmed because I know the policy and was wearing OWB and short shirt...concealing wasn't planned since a mall visit wasn't planned). I entered through Macy's with the little lady and we both stopped and commented that there were no signs, no rules, no nothing.

I knew the rule, so I wasn't carrying, but say my buddy comes up from NC and pokes around the mall while I'm in class or working...how's he to know if he goes in through Macy's that he's unwelcome in the mall with his firearm?

FretlessMayhem

imported post

Thundar wrote:
FretlessMayhem wrote:

Hiya. I found this link. It's number 20 at the bottom:

http://www.greenbriermall.com/shop/greenbrier.nsf/security

I live in Greenbrier, so any other mall is pretty far for me. I never OC there. I always CC, and I always enter through Sears or another store that isn't posted.

Interestingly enough, the lower level entrance to Macys is posted on the side of the wall right when you walk in.

Doesn't the law mention something about being "conspicuously" posted? The rules are never in plain view, and the text is really, really small.

Chkultr

imported post

Friday night (4/25/08) we went out to Buffalo Wild Wings in Va Beach. The one close to the court house. We were there from 630-9pm. When we entered the rest. I held the door open for a couple and the guy smiled as he said nice piece. There was a 15 min wait so I grabbed a menu to take home so we both ended up walking back out of the rest. at the same time and all I got was a big smile and a chuckle from him. Oc'd with no problems. Once again I was at Costco and Lowes on military hwy with no problems!

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

I'm about to be back home for the summer in a few days (Suffolk) and I got assigned to a project in Virginia Beach (the Renaissance Academy).

Point of that story: Anyone want to summarize any places in the Hampton Roads area that AREN'T ok with me open carrying?

GMZ

imported post

Been awhile,

Wallys on Nimmo
JR Market on Med
Harris Teeter on 30th St

I did get ALOT of inquisitive looks from all the cougars in Teeter :lol:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Took my wife and youngest daughter to dinner at Kelsey's Deli in Yorktown. No problems at all, as usual.

WhatTimeIsIt?

imported post

Open carried today at the following:

Wal Mart, Lowes, and Home Depot on Battlefield;

7-11 and Office Max in Greenbrier;

Primo Pizza in Va Beach.

No issues anywhere.

Thundar

imported post

OCd today without incident at:

Farm Fresh at the corner of Centerville and Mt Pleasant in Chesapeake

Charyway FCU inside Farm Fresh

Advance Auto in Great Bridge

Bloom in South Great Bridge

Bullbuster

imported post

OC'd 5 May to Bobs gun shop in Norfolk for range time and gunsmith work then to Mi Hogar Mexican Restaurant on Granby street with not so much as a second glance. The place was full.

OC'd tonight to Genghis Khan Mongolian BBQ. Buffet style so I was back and forth with no problems. Even ran into 2 LEO's in the parking lot on the way out. Had a nice chat and had no mention of my OC'ing.

Bubba Ron

imported post

OC'd on Saturday to the Hickory Grill on Centerville Tpk for breakfast, then Home Depot off Battlefield Blvd, then Wal-Mart on Sam's Way all in Chesapeake. While walking into Wally World, one of Chesapeake's finest pulled into a parking spot as we walked by - not even a peep. Then we went to the Sporting Goods section and bought 2 - 100 packs of .40 S&W.....ammo prices have sure gone up since the last time we bought any!!!

Thundar

imported post

OCdin Lowesat Greenbrier in Chesapeake yesterday. Ocd at the Food Lion on Wesleyan Drive in Virginia Beach this morning. No problems or issues at either place.

Linkenrw2005

imported post

Howdy,

I haven't lived in Virgina for about 8 months but I did live there for 7 years while in the military (now I live in the most gun repressive state Maryland *sigh*). I got my CC in 2004 after a buddy was robbed at gun point at the NFCU 2 times in 3 months by the Norfolk Navy Base. I started to OC whenI asked a cop at the local Hardees in Hampton where I lived, he showed me the what the law said in his book and I oc'd ever day after that. Only problem I ever hadwas inHamptonat the Food Lion off of Nickerson Plaza when I went in wearing my Springfield 1911 on my right hip and my Ruger on my back waist band. Manager was called to the front and then confronted me on the pancake mix isle. He asked if I was a cop, I replied nope and went back to looking at the mixes when he said you'll have to leave the store. I replied thatI would not because there were no signs posted stating no weapons allowed. He said he had the right to refuse service to anyone, so I told him I would cover them if it made him happy. So I did and we went about our ways. Funny and sad at the same time is that about 2 months later the store was robbed at gun point and I think 2 clerks were shot or maybe it was one, bet the manager wishes I was there that day. Thanks again for all the great stories and now that I know of this site I will check back often.

R/

Ralph

p.s. On a side note I was robbed 2 times in the same week about a month after the foodlion incident whileI was underwaystill living in the Nickerson plaza area and they got me for my Springfield, Ruger, roomates glock, my bulletproof vest. Thank God my girlfriend now wife didn't walk in on them she could have been killed or worse.

Neplusultra

imported post

Linkenrw2005 wrote:
p.s. On a side note I was robbed 2 times in the same week about a month after the foodlion incident whileI was underwaystill living in the Nickerson plaza area and they got me for my Springfield, Ruger, roomates glock, my bulletproof vest. Thank God my girlfriend now wife didn't walk in on them she could have been killed or worse.
Might be a point there to have a gunsafe if you are going to open carry. The criminials will know which house to hit fi they're shopping for guns by just by following you home.