• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

45acpForMe

Hindsight

Virginia Beach schools (at least the one my children attend) do not have any such drills. Do we write the superintendent, principal, board of directors, governor?
1.) I wholeheartedly agree with the faculty being armed in addition to an armed guard/school resource officer at all points of entry, regardless of locks.
2.)This horrendous act should have never happened to begin with. Warning signs should have been raised at some point. Mental instability is the only possible motive I could fathom and mental illness/treatment should be under attack, not our rights. Why did his mother leave the guns where her live in 20y.o. could get to them knowing he had some serious issues. One must ask, how do you overlook such instability and still allow access to some serious firepower? This is still USA and due process must be adhered to despite the severity of the atrocity, that's what separates us from the monsters overseas without due process.

OC'd last night to 7 11 on Independence, Books-a-Million at the Damneck/P. Anne shopping center on the corner, and walmart on P. Anne. Walked right by one of VB's finest sitting outside of Walmart, strong-side facing him, he didn't even bat an eye in my direction.

Well in Virginia it is only a crime if you leave a gun accessible to a child under 14 years old. So a 20yr old "person" is in most ways considered an adult. Even 18 year olds can "own" and OC a gun so the age argument goes out the window.

As to her son having serious issues, in hind sight we can see that they were serious. Before the fact he just was described as odd and shy. No one knows when that odd kid you knew in your life will be set off or crack. There are many odd people that go about their lives never committing any violent crime. (some may be here) ;-)

ht_emilie_parker_3_121215_wb.jpg

ap_olivia_engel_jef_121215_wb.jpg

When such innocent life is purposely taken, I don't care if the killer was mentally incompetent or not, an altar boy as a child or anything else. Swift and excruciating execution is needed. Much of what ails society is coddling people that aren't willing to live within any moral or societal standards. While we can forgive someone it doesn't mean that the punishment should be voided. I am all for due process but when overwhelming evidence finds them guilty punishment should follow immediately. Victims of murder don't get to choose or plan for their deaths, why should their murderers? Don't give me that it is what separates us from them. Daily non-violent life already defines that.

OC-ed to Food Lion, Farm Fresh. No issues.

Table

But VBPD does train for such an event...

Virginia Beach schools (at least the one my children attend) do not have any such drills.

My son worked as VBPD intern last summer and was a "victim" in such a drill. But, the police had to get to the scene, I'll ask if he remembers the approximate time for the first officer to arrive and enter the building.

I would contact your child's school principal and ask what they are doing in the wake of such a tragic event.

Last edited:

shadow247

For my first post....

OCed at the Five Guys at Peninsula Town Center today. Had no issues with anyone staring or giving me dirty looks. This was my first open carry experiences. I plan to open carry everywhere I go in Hampton/Newport News this weekend.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
For my first post....

OCed at the Five Guys at Peninsula Town Center today. Had no issues with anyone staring or giving me dirty looks. This was my first open carry experiences. I plan to open carry everywhere I go in Hampton/Newport News this weekend.

Welcome to OCDO shadow247 - lots and lots of good, knowledgeable people here. Look for a local meet n' greet and introduce yourself in person.

Also consider joining VCDL, at least sign up for the Va-Alerts (free) and stay up to date on what's happening in VA.

Can't list where I OCd today as DoubleTap (significent other) tracks me on this forum to try and figure out what she is getting - aint' gonna happen :lol:

mpguy

Re: Open Carry in Hampton Roads

Oc'ed to wally world. Picked up a 100 count of .45 Remington umc. Pickings looked decent...except .223.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The Airframer

Opened carried to 7 11 on Independence and Starbucks on P. Anne and Lynnhaven, no issues.

Nice speech today by Wayne LaPierre, however, he did not make any mention of the looming threat of the ban on modern sporting rifles. I hope this will be addressed come Monday during the next news conference.

I believe the time to open carry is now, to demonstrate that responsible gun owners don't just shoot people, to demonstrate that there are people with the courage to not just talk about supporting the Second Amendment--but actually exercise it, and to allow the public the understanding that when an armed good guy is around they are the safest.

I got to wondering today if any founded studies have been conducted on how many violent attacks occur outside of the home vice inside one's home and the likelihood of becoming a victim outside of your home moreover than inside your home. If there is such a study, please share.

45acpForMe

<snip> I believe the time to open carry is now, to demonstrate that responsible gun owners don't just shoot people, to demonstrate that there are people with the courage to not just talk about supporting the Second Amendment--but actually exercise it, and to allow the public the understanding that when an armed good guy is around they are the safest. <snip>

+1000

I have been OC-ing around, Ulta, Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, Starbucks. We ran into two people/families that we knew and exchanged pleasentries. :)

clydes1961

OC'd to Wally World, PetsMart, Harris Teeter, Simply Pets (mom & pop pet shop off S. Military), Radio Shack, Food Lion, Arby's, and Farm Fresh.

shadow247

OCed at Best Buy in Newport News today. Store was extremely busy, but didn't notice anyone checking me out in a strange way. There was a couple getting into the car next to us as we were leaving. I was loading up my daughter in the car and thought I heard their son say "a gun" but wasn't sure. The parents didn't say anything so I just ignored it. I will be OCing at Bass Pro Shop in Hampton tomorrow. The significant other wants to go to Patrick Henry Mall, so I'm not sure how I will handle that. I don't like leaving my firearm in the glovebox, even locked, in a public parking lot. I guess I will leave it at home for that trip.

45acpForMe

OCed at Best Buy in Newport News today. Store was extremely busy, but didn't notice anyone checking me out in a strange way. There was a couple getting into the car next to us as we were leaving. I was loading up my daughter in the car and thought I heard their son say "a gun" but wasn't sure. The parents didn't say anything so I just ignored it. I will be OCing at Bass Pro Shop in Hampton tomorrow. The significant other wants to go to Patrick Henry Mall, so I'm not sure how I will handle that. I don't like leaving my firearm in the glovebox, even locked, in a public parking lot. I guess I will leave it at home for that trip.

Well normally I would say you could shop around Dick's sporting goods while your family did the mall and still OC but Dick's along with Walmart were over reacting to CT and pulling guns out of the stores. You can OC in certain stores if you enter through the store entrance and not the main mall entrance. Don't wander into the mall while OC-ing though since they will ask you to leave.

OC-ed to Pink, Chipotle, Barnes & Noble, all around PTC, Target and Food Lion. I posted a new thread on Food Lion since the new manager asked me to put my firearm in the car.

GreatDaneMan

Hey all, i haven't fallen off the planet.

Still around, most of my OCing has been gas stations, and riding the motorcycle everywhere. OCed on a 3 hour ride around suffolk and gates county the other day. This 1911 OC's nicely in a serpa.

I did OC 3 semi autos in shoulder rig and on belt to mailbox the other day...a geo about went into the ditch while eyeballing my friend said. Was on the way to Superior's range.

Also OCd to Discretionary Firearms in GreenBrier the other day. Talk to Kevin....good prices.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well normally I would say you could shop around Dick's sporting goods while your family did the mall and still OC but Dick's along with Walmart were over reacting to CT and pulling guns out of the stores. You can OC in certain stores if you enter through the store entrance and not the main mall entrance. Don't wander into the mall while OC-ing though since they will ask you to leave.

Or just throw it all in the backseat:lol:

hood_zps02daf608.jpg

mpguy

Re: Open Carry in Hampton Roads

Oc'ed at wally world to pick up some mannwhich. Wife loves the stuff for some reason. Lady in the line with me said, " don't go hurting anyone with that.". I told her, "I wouldn't, unless someone tried to hurt me.".

She laughed, and we discussed the kids in the Ct. Incidence, and I gave my condolences, for the family, and hope that a peaceful solution could be found tho the problem.

She agreed, and thanked me for expressing my concern, and was glad it didn't deter me from carrying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Esanders2008

OC'd today to GNC and Wally World. The clerk in GNC was really excited when I walked in with my wife, exclaiming "Is that a Glock?!" He told me he wanted one too. He said he was a polit-sci major at Regent, and he actually knew the laws. I gave him an OC card, and he invited me to carry in GNC anytime. :lol:

At wal-mart, as I was in line, I heard a man behind me say "Oh he just has a concealed handgun permit." I turned around and had to educate him. :cool: I gave him a card, and we talked for about half an hour while we waited in line (the crowd was awful at wal-mart today), and he said he would check out the forum.

All in all, not a bad day.

45acpForMe

OC-ed around town: Subway, Dominos, PTC (Hollister, Bath & Bodyworks, Pink, Target), Japan Samurai, Olive Garden, Exxon, Kroger.

No issues. I may have not been the best ambassador for OC since I was a bit grumpy having to take my daughter and her friend shopping AGAIN. I guess it is my fault though if I give them gift cards for Christmas they usually want to go use them shortly afterwards. :-( No issues.

OC-ed today/Sunday to Chipotle and Royal Farms to fill up on the re-rising gas prices. No issue other than a cute little girl (4-5yrs) pointing to me as I ate in the window. Not sure if she just thought me stuffing my face was funny or what. :)

As we get closer to the new year I just want you all to remember the hypocrisy of our government as it regards to guns.

Guns-Are-Bad-600.jpg

Last edited:

shadow247

OC'ed last night to Joe and Mimma's in Grafton/Yorktown. There was a couple checking out and one of them got a sour look on her face upon seeing me. I know she looked directly at my pistol on my right hip. I sat down in a booth with my pistol to the inside and had a nice meal of Veal Rostito. The wife had Manicotti. I will probably go back again.

mpguy

Oc'ed to Wal-Mart to help mom buy a few things. Drove through the drive threw at panara bread *sp*? I won't do that no more lol. Place is...expensive.

I plan on after work tomorrow, checking out Deshiels for ammo prices/selection, and to ask some questions about there Red Wing line of boots. I've had off from work the past 2 weeks, so I've done something I haven't been able to do in a long time. Nothing. :p

Last edited: