• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Esanders2008

I have a question for the members in our area: Have any of you ever been to Tower of Games on Kempsville Rd? They have an interesting policy at their location. The store is divided into two sections, a retail area and a gaming area. (By gaming I mean Warhammer, DnD, Magic: The Gathering, etc) They prohibit all weapons and weapon look-a-likes from the game area, but not the retail portion. I asked about the odd policy and they said it was because some guys in their 20s came in to play one night and were "wearing holsters that didn't look like they would retain their guns, holsters that were sagging off their pants and sliding around..." Apparently the guys were being kinda rowdy and unprofessional about their carry, and I was curious if it might have been some of our members. (I doubt it :banana:)

mpguy

Re: Open Carry in Hampton Roads

I have a question for the members in our area: Have any of you ever been to Tower of Games on Kempsville Rd? They have an interesting policy at their location. The store is divided into two sections, a retail area and a gaming area. (By gaming I mean Warhammer, DnD, Magic: The Gathering, etc) They prohibit all weapons and weapon look-a-likes from the game area, but not the retail portion. I asked about the odd policy and they said it was because some guys in their 20s came in to play one night and were "wearing holsters that didn't look like they would retain their guns, holsters that were sagging off their pants and sliding around..." Apparently the guys were being kinda rowdy and unprofessional about their carry, and I was curious if it might have been some of our members. (I doubt it :banana:)

No I haven't been.

Went to Deshiels last night, and picked up two boxes of no. 1 and a box of 000. Ammo picking was slim, but the gentlemen said they are do a shipment anytime.

Had a Ar in there though. 1800 cash, with a 40 scope on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

T-Jack

New to Va Beach - My Introduction

Howdy All,

My wife (She is active duty Navy) and I (I'm a civie) just moved to Virginia Beach from Austin, TX and was pleased to see that OC is not prohibited in VA. I plan to start OC'ing in the near future once I get a proper holster and belt, and another sidearm besides the 1911 you see in my Avatar. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine pistol and in perfect working order, but it was made in 1917 and has been in my family for a very long time. So I'll be in the market for something I'll feel comfortable carrying on a daily basis once we recoup from the cost of moving and my dog's surgery. Sure the Navy gives money for the PCS, but it doesn't cover all the odds and ends. Oddly enough OC still not allowed in Texas, but hopefully that will change by the time we head back Texas way. That is assuming we do move back at some point. In the past 5 months I've grown quite fond of VA and it's miles and miles of coastline. At any rate, I like to introduce myself when I am new to a forum so that everyone knows who that young'n is that posting this and that.

Glad to know there are so many like minded LAC's out there, and hopefully I can make it to an OC dinner sometime.

Oh, and I do have one question. There is a planned 2A event at the state capital that I plan on attending on Feb 8th. What are the laws pertaining to OC there? Are any of you planning on attending? It's been posted all over the interwebs and facebook as a nationwide deal.

Muchas Gracias,

TJ

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Howdy All,

My wife (She is active duty Navy) and I (I'm a civie) just moved to Virginia Beach from Austin, TX and was pleased to see that OC is not prohibited in VA. I plan to start OC'ing in the near future once I get a proper holster and belt, and another sidearm besides the 1911 you see in my Avatar. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine pistol and in perfect working order, but it was made in 1917 and has been in my family for a very long time. So I'll be in the market for something I'll feel comfortable carrying on a daily basis once we recoup from the cost of moving and my dog's surgery. Sure the Navy gives money for the PCS, but it doesn't cover all the odds and ends. Oddly enough OC still not allowed in Texas, but hopefully that will change by the time we head back Texas way. That is assuming we do move back at some point. In the past 5 months I've grown quite fond of VA and it's miles and miles of coastline. At any rate, I like to introduce myself when I am new to a forum so that everyone knows who that young'n is that posting this and that.

Glad to know there are so many like minded LAC's out there, and hopefully I can make it to an OC dinner sometime.

Oh, and I do have one question. There is a planned 2A event at the state capital that I plan on attending on Feb 8th. What are the laws pertaining to OC there? Are any of you planning on attending? It's been posted all over the interwebs and facebook as a nationwide deal.

Muchas Gracias,

TJ

Welcome, enjoy VA. We have Lobby Day on January 21 at the state legislature. I'm not aware of anything on the 8th of February. Maybe some of the others can help with that. Basically to carry in the legislature building you must have a CHP.. I'm not to sure about other areas of Richmond. Hopefully some of the locals can help. again Welcome to VA.

T-Jack

Hey thank ya Wolf! Here's a link to one of the people promoting it. There are quite a few others trying to make it happen as well. Don't think I'll be able to do the Lobby Day thing though. That's only a few days before my wife goes underway for a few weeks, and considering it's only a few days after coming home from her current underway she'd probably get a little peeved at me spending my time away. There's a slight possibility I could talk her into going, but with all her time out to sea lately I doubt it. On a good note though, she is interested in OC'ng herself when not going to and from base of course. But interested non the less!! I've turned my wife into quite the pro 2A advocate! I'm a proud one to be sure!:banana:

Here's the link

https://www.facebook.com/events/424932037575420/425639687504655/?notif_t=plan_mall_activity

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Hey thank ya Wolf! Here's a link to one of the people promoting it. There are quite a few others trying to make it happen as well. Don't think I'll be able to do the Lobby Day thing though. That's only a few days before my wife goes underway for a few weeks, and considering it's only a few days after coming home from her current underway she'd probably get a little peeved at me spending my time away. There's a slight possibility I could talk her into going, but with all her time out to sea lately I doubt it. On a good note though, she is interested in OC'ng herself when not going to and from base of course. But interested non the less!! I've turned my wife into quite the pro 2A advocate! I'm a proud one to be sure!:banana:

Here's the link

https://www.facebook.com/events/424932037575420/425639687504655/?notif_t=plan_mall_activity

Welcome! You should sign up for the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) email alerts or even better join VCDL (vcdl.org) Hopefully now that the holidays are over we can have more OC dinners and meet more people. The 21st is important because we actually go into the offices of the legislators and talk to them about planned bills for this session. The more people that show up the better our voice is heard. I haven't been able to go in the past due to work and kids but am trying really hard to make this one because of all the craziness going around the country.

There are some places in Richmond that ban guns. I know that Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) bans guns. Of course they are in a high crime area and are often victims of robberies and assaults. Richmond-ites can chime in on other areas if any (MCV?).

paramedic70002

Howdy All,

Muchas Gracias,

TJ

Welcome to VA! My wife's family is all in Cedar Park, and I've made frequent visits to the Austin area. Austin is nice but VA is nicer!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome! You should sign up for the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) email alerts or even better join VCDL (vcdl.org) Hopefully now that the holidays are over we can have more OC dinners and meet more people. The 21st is important because we actually go into the offices of the legislators and talk to them about planned bills for this session. The more people that show up the better our voice is heard. I haven't been able to go in the past due to work and kids but am trying really hard to make this one because of all the craziness going around the country.

There are some places in Richmond that ban guns. I know that Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) bans guns. Of course they are in a high crime area and are often victims of robberies and assaults. Richmond-ites can chime in on other areas if any (MCV?).

VCU and VCU/MCV does not ban guns.

I routinely OC outside the buildings - carrying in the buildings would invite a trespassing charge.

The effort stems from an opinion issued last year by state Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli that said to ban legal concealed-carry in campus buildings, a university's governing body must pass a state regulation. A simple policy, such as that which had been in effect on the Tech campus for several years, was insufficient, Cuccinelli opined.

The key part of the regulation pertains to concealed weapons. That's because, according to a Virginia Supreme Court ruling in January, public universities may ban open carry of firearms in buildings and at events such as football games through a simple policy.

People allowed under state law to own a firearm must be allowed to carry it openly, or concealed with a permit on the open grounds of public universities, however.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/306683

T-Jack

@ Paramedic - No joke?! I lived in Cedar Park for the last three years before moving here. I agree with your statement that Austin is nice, but VA is better. Austin is the bastion of liberalism in an otherwise very conservative state. So, I concede that point, but I need a little more time in VA to make a judgement on which state is better. :) I will say that as conservative as Texas is, you Virginians seem to do a better job of holding your state accountable to the laws on the books, and for that I certainly give credit where it is due. Hopefully my fellow Texans will cowboy up and take back the state I love from all the California transplants that seek to turn our state into the one they fled. How this happened baffles me.

@ 45acpForMe - Thank you sir!! I have signed up for VCDL, I follow them on Twitter, and I will become a member next week after me and the bills get paid. With my current job I'm in a much better position to be more proactive in defense of our 2A rights, and plan to devote much more time than in the past. I even registered to vote here. I'm trying to find out where they plan on holding the rally at the state capitol. I don't believe it's planned to be inside, but I can't say for sure. I am hoping I can make the Lobby Day affair. I don't normally require a kitchen pass for such excursions, but considering that my wife will have been out to sea for a while and since she will be going back out soon after, it would seem prudent at this juncture to acquire said pass. Ideally I can convince her to go with me.

@ Grapeshot - I've been lurking around these pages for some time, and regularly get great info from your posts, as well as many others. This is a heck of a site you've all put together here.

I also came across this post this morning on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/events/113749345463936/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Any thoughts on this? I do believe I'll attend. I can include the text of the post if need be, I just didn't want to make this post any longer than it already is.

Thanks,
TJ

MagiK_SacK

Open Carry in Hampton Roads

That page confuses me because in the description of the event he says...

"Come on out & practice your 2nd Amendment right with the Open Carry & CCW Laws Virginia Representative Rob Adams."

He also mentions that he is a firearms instructor. You would think as an instructor he would know that it is a CHP, not a CCW.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That page confuses me because in the description of the event he says...

"Come on out & practice your 2nd Amendment right with the Open Carry & CCW Laws Virginia Representative Rob Adams."

He also mentions that he is a firearms instructor. You would think as an instructor he would know that it is a CHP, not a CCW.

Opsie! CCW = concealed carry weapon; CHP = concealed handgun permit.

It is not a concealed weapon permit - only applies to handguns. We also do not have OC laws.

MagiK_SacK

Opsie! CCW = concealed carry weapon; CHP = concealed handgun permit.

It is not a concealed weapon permit - only applies to handguns. We also do not have OC laws.

Yes, I am currently having this discussion with a gentleman about the use of CCW. Here is the current conversation, what you can't see is my initial question of What are you referring to when you say CCW? I didn't mean it as a set up, I really just didn't know how to start the dialog. So this is the response.
----
Him - Concealed Carry Weapon.. (The firearm you carry)

Me - Ok, I was just confused because most folks I know would say CHP laws.

Him - People call it all different things. I hear it called CC most of the time now. Just depends on who you are talking to

Me - Yea, but in VA we have CHPs not CCW permits. Our permits only allow us to carry a handgun concealed, unlike a CCW that in some places might cover more than just a handgun. So to say "CCW laws" might confuse some. Not really a big deal, just a pet peeve.

Him - CCW is like I carry a Glock as my CCW or I carry a 1911 as my CCW.. Its just the firearm. But I know what you mean. With your CHP you are allowed to have a CCW..

Me I have to disagree, as well, with that statement. The link below explains it better than I ever could.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/ed-levine/the-w-word/208028845877487

As simplistic as your point is, it is not entirely accurate. My CHP does allow me to have a concealed firearm (a type of weapon as some may chose to call it), but still only a firearm. So again to say CCW laws would be an inaccurate statement as it applies to VA.
----
I was going to let it go after I explained my confusion but I just got a little annoyed. You would just think that anybody with a little sense about them would understand how that statement could be confusing. Kind of like the confusion that "Carrying concealed weapons is prohibited, except as permitted by law" might cause...:banghead:

Last edited:

T-Jack

I agree with you on the terminology. It's always been a pet peeve of mine as well. Much like the magazines and clips people use to use as interchangable terms. You do realize
though that the discussion you had was not with the organizer right? That said, if we expect those in in the govt to be accurate in their terminology, those attempting to preserve our rights should do the same. May be something to bring up at the meet.

USNA69

I agree with you on the terminology. It's always been a pet peeve of mine as well. Much like the magazines and clips people use to use as interchangable terms. You do realize
though that the discussion you had was not with the organizer right? That said, if we expect those in in the govt to be accurate in their terminology, those attempting to preserve our rights should do the same. May be something to bring up at the meet.

To paraphrase Yogi Berra ... Half of the problem with gun control is 90% misinformation.

MagiK_SacK

Ummm :uhoh: woops? I made the assumption that it was him for some reason. I guess I just figured that the person replying would have been the organizer/admin. Either way thanks for pointing that out so I can correct my previous statements.

T-Jack

Ummm :uhoh: woops? I made the assumption that it was him for some reason. I guess I just figured that the person replying would have been the organizer/admin. Either way thanks for pointing that out so I can correct my previous statements.

Right on dude! Your time wasn't wasted though. Even informing the guy you were talking to helps. Others will still read it and learn something thanks to you. Are you planning on going Magik? I'm going to study up on the particulars and bring it up, since as USNA69 pointed out, misinformation is one of our biggest problems in educating the masses.

MagiK_SacK

Right on dude! Your time wasn't wasted though. Even informing the guy you were talking to helps. Others will still read it and learn something thanks to you. Are you planning on going Magik? I'm going to study up on the particulars and bring it up, since as USNA69 pointed out, misinformation is one of our biggest problems in educating the masses.

You are right, all was not lost. I just noticed the founder of the event even changed the name to Virginia Open & Concealed Carry Laws Meet & Greet! He still missed a CCW in the event information area, but at least he made the change. I RSVP'd as a maybe, money has been tight and I can't say for sure until after I get paid.

T-Jack

You are right, all was not lost. I just noticed the founder of the event even changed the name to Virginia Open & Concealed Carry Laws Meet & Greet! He still missed a CCW in the event information area, but at least he made the change. I RSVP'd as a maybe, money has been tight and I can't say for sure until after I get paid.

I know what you mean senor, been going through a little of the shortage of funds issue myself lately. Hopefully you can make it though. Since I've never been to an OC event/meetup before, I'll make sure I can go.

Glockster

Seeing as this thread hasn't had a posting in nearly a week I thought that I'd go ahead and do so. Today I OC'd to Farm Fresh in Haygood plaza but then couldn't pick up my mail at the P.O. next door....OC'd to BBT....well, the drive-thru....and then gave a hairy eyeball glance at the school zone directly in front of me as I pulled out of the parking lot. Then OC'd to Chen's Wok on Shore Drive and passed by one of VB's finest walking in the door (no glance back either). Then OC'd to FedEx where they only were interested if I needed a receipt for my drop-off. But if it had rained any harder I certainly would have been CC what with my raincoat on.

HearseGuy

Thanks for the update DrDan. Good to know. This is a great thread to see where i can OC. Im still quite nervous to start OCing in the vab norfolk area.