• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Freeflight wrote:
OC This weekend at the usual places.. had a bit of an issue at the Yorktown Walmart.

I was wearing light blue polo shirt w/shorts and a BROWN Leather pancake holster with my Karh 40. (The brown Leather holster really draws a lot of attention)

There was a gang (3) associates at the garden entrance to the Walmart, I greeted them all and we commented on the kramingling clouds and how they looked very nasty.... I got 15 feet into the store when the blackfemale associate said "Sir!!!,,, SIR!!!!" I stopped and said' Mam,? (Great big grin on my face I knew what she wanted....)

her: You have a weapon!!

me: yes...

her: Do you have a license for it?

me: THere is no license needed in Virginia for Open carrying of a handgun

her: well Walmart doesn't allow guns on the property..

me: Yes they do... I know your policy on this

Her: well you just can't have that thing around all the children in the store

me: all the more reason to have it... to protect the children...

her: (Walking off... well I'm not arguing with you about it... We will have to get a "Ruling" on this)

me.. Okay then if thats the way you want it...

I go about my business there looking at things that make FIRE...:lol:

she returns: "Well 'he' said he would "Take care of it" (I assume she meant the manager would take care of me...)

me: Great... have a nice day... and I continue into Walmart,

No Further issues that day...with walmart staff..

I did overhear a kid ask "Mommy why does that man have a gun?"

The mommy said "Because he can dear..."
I OC in that WalWart several times a week and have never had a sales associate approach me...

HardChrome

imported post

Freeflight wrote:
OC This weekend at the usual places.. had a bit of an issue at the Yorktown Walmart.

I like that mother's reply!

That's the same Wal-Mart where I had a discussion with the receipt checker at the same entrance and suggested that she mention to management that they need a uniform understanding of their policy. I was actually there at about the same time, making a curb-side pickup. Bummer we didn't run into one another. I was openly carrying my Hi-Power.

Pagan

imported post

I OC'd at the Yorktown YMCA yesterday, and at Pro Music and Sound in Yorktown and then at the Yorktown Walmart, no problems, no stares, nothing, was very pleasant. I then went to the Taco Bell in Gloucester and had lunch inside, no problems there either.

HardChrome

imported post

Pagan wrote:
I OC'd at the Yorktown YMCA yesterday, and at Pro Music and Sound in Yorktown and then at the Yorktown Walmart, no problems, no stares, nothing, was very pleasant. I then went to the Taco Bell in Gloucester and had lunch inside, no problems there either.
I've open carried at Music and Arts and at Winter Sound, over on your side with no problems. But then I'm a familiar face there. I think I've only concealed at Pro.

Pagan

imported post

Oh yeah on Saturday, we (the gloucester clean community committee) held a plastic bag recycling event outside the Main Street Library from 9am -1pm. I was OC'ing the whole time while interacting with my fellow citizens and my fellow committee members and the other volunteers, plus I was mingling with 3 of our county's Board of Supervisor's membersand our County Administrator, plus other various county employee's. I also went inside the Library to get a new card. A few curious stares, but noting rude or objective, and none of the people bringing in the bags while toting children seemd to mind me helping them or talking with me about our enviroment.

I also OC'd while cutting the grass Sunday, I think the May flies objected, they kept trying to chase me out of the yard! Damn Commies:p

HardChrome

imported post

Pagan wrote:
I also OC'd while cutting the grass Sunday, I think the May flies objected, they kept trying to chase me out of the yard! Damn Commies:p
Careful how you toss around your accusations there. I hear they are actually social creatures.

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HardChrome wrote:
Freeflight wrote:

I like that mother's reply!

That's the same Wal-Mart where I had a discussion with the receipt checker at the same entrance and suggested that she mention to management that they need a uniform understanding of their policy. I was actually there at about the same time, making a curb-side pickup. Bummer we didn't run into one another. I was openly carrying my Hi-Power.

Too bad we didn't run into each other... I do hope it was the same person I had the trouble with. (Saturday around 2:00ish)

FreeFlight

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Yorktown Wal-Mart is my "hometown" store, and I've lost count how many times I've OC'd there. No clerk has ever said a negative word, nor has any patron.

I, too was "made" by a little kid there, and his mom just replied "Oh".

On one thread here, there is a phone call from a Bentonville Corporate Office person apologizing profusely to someone who was upset by being hassled for OC, and the woman said OC was perfetly fine if the state allows it. I believe she said she was going to correct the manager in question. Corporate Office is on our side in this one.

I'm surprised the YMCA folks didn't say anything. I used to go there all the time, but for some reason felt uncomfortable with the idea of carrying there and never did (except CC, which I guess doesn't count). I did go in with an open holster. Only a few guys commented and we discussed it a bit.

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
The Yorktown Wal-Mart is my "hometown" store, and I've lost count how many times I've OC'd there.
Yeah, Me too... this is the first time ever we carry many of the same places, just never have seen each other.

FreeFlight.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

OC'd at thePaperbackbook store down Jefferson between Oyster Point"Center City"and J Clyde. Not even a :shock:there or at the Food Lion in the same shopping center. Spent about 30 min. in the Food Lion and no problems. I was pretty sure the bookstore employees were MMM Gang types, so I was suprised I didn't get so much as a :?about the black "tumor" on my left hip.

Anyone else like trading used paperbacks? They have a good deal on trade-ins there. We go there often. I think the going rate is about half of whatever the list price on the back is. They have recent hardcovers and books on tape / CD too.

Maybethe Bianchi Accumold thumb-break holster gives folks the impression I'm either UC or retired LEO. I haven't had anyone ask andI will quickly dispel any suggestions. I'm definitely not interested in an impersonating charge.

I like it because its familiar. I used to a similar rig when I was still working. I'm still thinking about getting a SERPA. I really like the one I got for my daughter's G21. Bass Pro hadthem for a lot of different models, but no lefties :Xand none for the USP45:(. I can order one online for $35. I'll stop by Bass Pro tomorrow to see if they can order one and I can save a few $ on cost and shipping. :D

Does anyone carry intermediate weapons? I've considered carrying Pepper Spray (OC). I don't know about the legality of carrying my old expandible baton (ASP). can anyone enlighten me about the legal side of that? If we are involved in a "confrontation" that doesn't end in gunfire, can we "detain" someone until LE gets there? can you "detain" someone with handcuffs? I know nothing of the legal issues for civilians and the use of a baton or cuffs. Perhaps one of our knowledgeable contributors can enlighten this ignorant recent retiree...

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Does anyone carry intermediate weapons? I've considered carrying Pepper Spray (OC).
I carry a Boker Tacticool Knife and Pepper Juice OC as well as the Handgun of the day.

While the admiral picks out her shoes, I pick out my Gun and Holster for the day.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

OCd in Yorktown Taco Bell, walked around on the beach "Downtown" Yorktown and then went to Farm Fresh for a few things. Non-event, but my daughers told me they saw a couple kids in Taco Bell that did :what:, but it wasn't obvious to me.

ravonaf

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
OCd in Yorktown Taco Bell, walked around on the beach "Downtown" Yorktown and then went to Farm Fresh for a few things. Non-event, but my daughers told me they saw a couple kids in Taco Bell that did :what:, but it wasn't obvious to me.
Isn't the Beach area considered part of the Federal Park?

Hendu024

imported post

OC'd into Starbucks on Indian River. The yuppies were to busy with their laptops to even notice. OC'd into Yukon Steak Co. on Kempsville, Plaza Azteca on Providence, and IHOP on Indian River. All non-events.

Also OC'd into Food Lion on Pleasant Valley Rd. Had the security guards eyeballin' me, but they didn't say anything. Got plenty of :what: from customers in the store. No words exchanged though, all non event places.

denwego

imported post

Two unicorns in VA Beach in three hours... a beautiful thing to see.

First was at Wawa on Rosemont, an old fellow paying for gas at the counter. A few minutes later, while I was coming in to my apartment, I saw a young man who had asked me about open carrying a few weeks ago while I was walking my dog. As he was walking to his car today, he was OCing a bi-tone XD. And while this was all seen, I was OCing my 1911. It's awesome to be in the Commonwealth on a warm day :celebrate

MSC 45ACP

imported post

NOPE. Just the part to the RIGHT of the fishing pier (as you face the river). There is a brown sign in the park area to the rightwhere the picnic benches are. The sign has a list of things not allowed in the park. Firearms are on the list. Since its federal property, I would certainly follow the instructions on THAT sign. The battlefields are federal property of course. I've been OCing in the beach area a couple times a week and have had both local sheriffs and park police drive past me. I am positive they've seen my holstered pistol.

MirkoCrocop

imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
Also OC'd into Food Lion on Pleasant Valley Rd. Had the security guards eyeballin' me, but they didn't say anything. Got plenty of :what: from customers in the store. No words exchanged though, all non event places.

thats wierd Ive never been eyeballed before at that store and thats the location I do all my shopping at. The short chubby white security guard there talks with me about guns everytime he sees me in there hell track me down and talk. He carries a 6 inch .38 revolver. and the tall black guy has never so much as spoken a single word to me because he has already written me off as a non threat and therefore has no problem with me. I reckon Ive found the security there quite pleasant on pleasant valley food lion location. besides i reckon they dont mind having backup every once in awhile:celebrateoh and I walked into tong hoi opencarrying the same time some 40 year old guy open carrying walked out a while ago and we both walked by with surprised looks on our faces. I am 19 btw so if anybody sees a young filipino/irishkid with a red sox hat onoc'ing near pleasant valley rd. thats me.

oh and i also always go to the ihop on indian river and have never had a problem either