• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Va_Nemo

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
Nemo, how could McAwful or the Crappy Attorney General prohibit my exercise of my rights on city property?

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Nemo,

I see others have already addressed your question. I should have read all the posts before responding.

Push it through and it will be in place until someone spends big bucks and time to challenge it.

Nemo

ron73440

Nothing spectacular - our governator has decreed that all state agencies are GFZ, but there is no penalty except to be told to leave....then trespassing.

Join VCDL and get involved.

Welcome to Virginia.
Thanks, I'll look into VCDL, seems more reasonable than NC's group.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

wrearick

I have been open carrying in the area for over 3 years. Be prepared for people not to notice. those that do are either curious or supportive. I have only had one lady "go off" on me verbally and she appeared to have behavioral issues in general not just related to guns.

Last edited:

papa bear

Hey RON, you will find that VA and NC, are very similar. With VA being ahead. They have brandishing laws (which is easy), where as NC has GATTTOTP, (WHICH is hard)

The VCDL is probably a 1000% better the the group that only wants CC. Phillip has stood up for OC

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I will be moving to Chesapeake next month.

I always OC in NC and it looks like it's very similar in VA, but I'll be able to carry in bars and restaurants where they sell alcohol.

Is there anything I need to be worried about up there?
NC's loss will be VA's gain.
icon14.png

Put January 16, 2017, on your calendar = Lobby Day at the General Assembly

Last edited:

wrearick

Open Carried most of the usual places, Farm Fresh, WaWa, NFCU, Va Beach Central Library, Walmart, etc. Sunday went up with the wife to Colonial Williamsburg and walked around the historic district. Some stares and pointing but no people running in horror. While waiting for the shuttle back to the visitor center a gentleman the next bench over after we had been talking for a few minutes asked if that was a firearm on my hip. I told him it was and explained the laws in Virginia to him. He said "we can't do that in New Jersey" I smiled at him and said "I know". He said he wasn't sure if he would like to have folks up in NJ be able to carry like that with all the crazy stuff going on and I pointed out that everyday folks carrying stop a lot of crazy stuff but you will not hear about it in the main stream media because it doesn't fit their agenda. I encouraged him to search on line and see how many times things don't make it to mass shooting status because of a good guy with a gun. One can only hope and plant a seed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Open Carried most of the usual places, Farm Fresh, WaWa, NFCU, Va Beach Central Library, Walmart, etc. Sunday went up with the wife to Colonial Williamsburg and walked around the historic district. Some stares and pointing but no people running in horror. While waiting for the shuttle back to the visitor center a gentleman the next bench over after we had been talking for a few minutes asked if that was a firearm on my hip. I told him it was and explained the laws in Virginia to him. He said "we can't do that in New Jersey" I smiled at him and said "I know". He said he wasn't sure if he would like to have folks up in NJ be able to carry like that with all the crazy stuff going on and I pointed out that everyday folks carrying stop a lot of crazy stuff but you will not hear about it in the main stream media because it doesn't fit their agenda. I encouraged him to search on line and see how many times things don't make it to mass shooting status because of a good guy with a gun. One can only hope and plant a seed.
Re: Colonial Williamsburg.

Read post #11 - it is classic.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?95499-Visiting-Williamsburg-area

wrearick

accompanied the misses to the JoAnn fabric store at Hilltop yesterday while OC'ing, twice in fact. As we approached the store on the second visit yesterday there was a heavyset woman, late 50's, with a dog on a lead who bugged eyed double take at my hip. A short while later the lady entered the store. I was standing near the front brining up an online coupon for the wife on my phone and the lady approached me and asked me if I worked there. I told her I did not - here look said very clearly "then why are you wearing THAT in here?" but she didn't say anything and disappeared further into the store. I didn't waste the breath on explaining the law to her or her own rights as this was one of those times body language screamed "Anti" and it would have been a waste of breath. I was going to compliment her on her situational awareness and let her know she was 1 in a 100 that even noticed the firearm and very quickly at that, but I did not see her again before we left. The staff was great both times and didn't have anything to say one way or another but did smile a lot.

wrearick

Open Carried a lot of regular places over the long weekend plus a couple of new ones.
Quarterdeck Restaurant near the Portsmouth/Chesapeake line,
REI CoOp at Pembroke
2 circuits around the inside perimeter of Pembroke Mall getting in our exercise and the weather outside was lousy. Saw a couple of rent-a-cops, passing within 3 feet of one, don't think any of them noticed or if they did, chose not to confront.

rev.david.eem.fb

Interesting "encounter" today at Starbucks near Little Neck. Was waiting for coffee to be made and a man and his wife were sitting at one of the tables nearby. The man looked at me and then told his wife to look at her phone. He obviously texted her because she then turned around and looked at me. I'm pretty sure the guy then took a picture of me/my weapon. I did not engage the couple but after I left, i thought maybe I should have taken a picture of them. LOL!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2a4all

Interesting "encounter" today at Starbucks near Little Neck. Was waiting for coffee to be made and a man and his wife were sitting at one of the tables nearby. The man looked at me and then told his wife to look at her phone. He obviously texted her because she then turned around and looked at me. I'm pretty sure the guy then took a picture of me/my weapon. I did not engage the couple but after I left, i thought maybe I should have taken a picture of them. LOL!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Maybe they were just tourists from somewhere that doesn't allow OC.

ron73440

Finally moved up here, camped in an empty house until next week.

Went to Food Lion, Wendy's and Tractor Supply, all in Chesapeake, just like NC, no one said anything.

wrearick

Finally moved up here, camped in an empty house until next week.

Went to Food Lion, Wendy's and Tractor Supply, all in Chesapeake, just like NC, no one said anything.

Congrats on a safe move. Glad to have you in the area. You should feel right at home.

wrearick

couple of things from over the weekend.

Saw a young man OC'ing in Kroger on providence and witchduck. Thanked him for exercising his 2A rights. I was CC'ing at the time but resisted the "show him mine" response most who CC exhibit! :)_

Some really great folks who support and exercise their 2A rights at the Coastal Breeze car wash on Virginia Beach Blvd between Witchduck and Independence.

ron73440

I've been here for three weeks now, had no issues yesterday went to Lowe's, Best Buy and Sport clips.

No funny looks or anything.

PS I hate moving