• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

hafnhaf

subway in williamsburg for dinner. got a thanks for carrying and a nice chat with a guy and his wife. they had two little kids with them.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Short notice meet&greet Thursday July 30 Norfolk area (Williamsburg to Va Beach area)

Business takes me to Norfolk Thursday afternoon July 30.

Anybody interested in a meet&greet somewhere between Williamsburg and Va Beach areas? I'm open to anything/anywhere I can get to leaving the vicinity of MacArthur Center around 3 PM that day.

If interested respond here + PM me so we can exchange contact info.

stay safe.

wrearick

wife and I walked along the Virginia Beach ocean front this evening, took some pictures with King Neptune and in front of a Memorial to the Virginia Beach Police Department - while open carrying of course. Walked a total of 25 blocks and never saw a LEO, heard a comment about my firearm or saw anyone running away knocking people over as they ran.......

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Recovering from my amazement at not hitting slowed-to-a-crawl traffic I got into Norfolk and conducted my business, which was near MacArthur Square. Several looks from NPD and two guys in blazers that I am guessing were Federal Marshals seeing as how they were standing in front of the federal building with their hands shoved into their pants pockets thus exposing their OWB-holstered handguns that should have been concealed behind their blazers. Sat and soaked up some sunshine in the little park sort of in front of the south parking deck entrance to MacArthur Square and watched folks who were a lot closer that I was dialing 911 and comforting a woman who had fallen. (Based on what the people and then EMS were doing my guess it was heat related and not caused by her seeing my OC'd handgun on the far side of that park.) Headed to Norfolk Gardens for a Korean lunch based o a referral from a guy at Little Creek. Halfway through my meal a NPD in plain clothes comes in with someone that was not a cop and sat down across the dining room from me. He did look at my OWB-holstered handgun as he walked by, and again on my leaving. I think he was jealous of the ivory grips.:D

Remember the days when Danbus could not step out of his house without being rousted?

Trying to leave Norfolk around 3 PM was a nightmare on I-64E. I got off, worked my way across town and took the James River Bridge and back roads home. Thank you GPS programs that let you set routing to avoid traffic.

stay safe.

Timeless1326

Just started to OC yesterday and decided to test out some places. Red Robin at Chesapeake square allows OC. I asked the manager and he was professional and said as long as we aren't by the bar area that I was good to go.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just started to OC yesterday and decided to test out some places. Red Robin at Chesapeake square allows OC. I asked the manager and he was professional and said as long as we aren't by the bar area that I was good to go.
"By the bar area" or in the bar area has nada to do with OC in Virginia.

If one is CC, then they cannot legally imbibe. Though I do not recommend it, drinking an adult beverage while OCing is legal.

http://www.examiner.com/article/43-states-now-allow-gun-carry-where-alcohol-is-served

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO, Timeless1326 .

If you would be so kind, what brought about this sudden urge :D:banana: to Open Carry?

Just FYI - it might be necessary for you to declare a time and place for a meetup with fellow OCers from Tidewater as over the last few years they seem to have become downright unsocializing.

stay safe.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
...fellow OCers from Tidewater as over the last few years they seem to have become downright unsocializing.

Hey!! :mad:

Okay, yeah, you're right. :cry:

We used to have some big turnouts, even had Sheriff Diggs, Congressman Wittmann, and Philip Van Cleave at some, not to mention ODCO personalities like Grapeshot and his buddy that some some have said is like a cranky Santa. We should get back on the ball...

Oh, and welcome to OCDO, Timeless1326.

BlueSquid

Welcome to OCDO, Timeless1326!

I live in the area, as well, and I'll agree that we need to do some more get togethers, and you should definitely participate. I've been considering another visit to Thai Papaya and throwing the invite out here, details will follow when I decide on a date and time.

In regards to your visit to the mall, today, Timeless1326...If you were walking in at the lower level of the food court/gameworks entrance some time between 4 and 5pm, with (if I recall correctly) what looked like a full size tan/OD green glock or S&W XD sitting at about the 2:30 position on your hip...I was definitely the guy walking OUT of the mall at the time with my really short wife who was carrying my daughter.

And if that was you, I promise I wasn't meat gazing (ok maybe a little) or staring at your pistol in disgust. I actually would like to have stopped and talked to you, but the wife was pulling the leash so we could finish the rest of our errands for the day and get home to feed the little one. I actually commented to the wife that I bet someone was going to give you a hard time and how I wished the vape shop were outside the mall so we didn't have to go in so often.

Oh, and yeah, stop asking the managers, just do your research before hand and carry with confidence. VCDL has a fairly good list of places that don't deserve our business, and a google search including the area and name of business usually yields some good info. Just know the laws, be polite, and put User on your speed dial.

Carry on and hope to run into you again (if that was you) sometime when we're not patronizing a victim rich environment!

wrearick

Timeless .... welcome to open carry and greetings from the tidewater area. Our socializing has dropped off and I miss it. will speak with the missus about putting something together. (We are a friendly group despite what you may have heard to the contrary)

Anyone seen or heard from Justine recently?

Skid, glad your visit to Norfolk was pleasant. sorry I couldn't get off work to meet up but understand the desire to head out of town before the traffic kicks in.