• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

mpguy

Good that you're back. Much as I would like to get out to the more regular Richmond meets, the travel is a little rough. Us Hampton Roads folks should organize something. My wife and I don't venture out to eat enough to know many restaurants other than the big chains, but sometimes those are good. Matter of fact, as I've said before, it seems we have one of the few (if not the only) Buffalo Wild Wings that allows OC right here in Chesapeake. Denny's near my house has always been receptive of me, as well.

I know the one in Suffolk, does NOT. I thought it was common that no BWW was carry friendly? Not that it matter's to me. The one time I went, I was more impressed with Hooters Wing's than BWW. I agree, we need to do more down here in the 7 cities. Maybe once the holiday's pass, and thing's get back to normal, something can be made up.

Kevin108

You two have my attention. It's been years since I've been to an OCDO dinner! I'm in Portsmouth and would love to attend something west of the tunnel.

Last edited:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
I know the one in Suffolk, does NOT. I thought it was common that no BWW was carry friendly? Not that it matter's to me. The one time I went, I was more impressed with Hooters Wing's than BWW. I agree, we need to do more down here in the 7 cities. Maybe once the holiday's pass, and thing's get back to normal, something can be made up.
What are "the 7 cities"?

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
You two have my attention. It's been years since I've been to an OCDO dinner! I'm in Portsmouth and would love to attend something west of the tunnel.
I think the frequency of the Hampton Roads dinners dropped off somewhat after the restaurant ban on CC was revoked, unfortunately.

They used to be pretty frequent, some on the Peninsula and some Southside. I could never make it to the Southside ones, but a few people usually made it to both... troopers indeed!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There used to be a semi regular Tidewater (NN, Hpt, York/Poq) dinner at The Country Grill near the NN/York Co. line. Several of us from Richmond traveled to a couple, including the one where York/Poq Sheriff Danny Diggs and his family attended.

Unless I missed it, there hasn't been one scheduled since 12/20/12. Time for someone down that way to pick up the ball and run with it - build it and they will come.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
There used to be a semi regular Tidewater (NN, Hpt, York/Poq) dinner at The Country Grill near the NN/York Co. line. Several of us from Richmond traveled to a couple, including the one where York/Poq Sheriff Danny Diggs and his family attended.
Yes, quite right. Sheriff Diggs actually attended at least 2 OCDO dinners, and Congressman Rob Wittman came to one of those.

Good times.

BlueSquid

That's what I thought, as well. Then, one day, my wife wanted to eat there so we went, and sitting not far from me in regular clothes and no badge on display, was a gentleman wearing a fancy looking 1911 BBQ gun. So I went there again, and saw another, different, person OC'ing. So the next time we went, I OC'd with absolutely no issues. And while we were eating, another gentleman walked in with his family wearing jeans, a hoodie, and some full size polymer, that I couldn't identify from across the restaurant, right on his hip.

I'd definitely be interested in us working on a date/semi-regular meet up. It'd be much easier to drag the wife and baby out of the house for an outing nearby, with the occasional trek out to Richmond to rub elbows with the old salts.

BlueSquid

I've never had it, but my wife and I have always wanted to try it. Googled their menu, found one from 2011. Provided it hasn't changed much, it looked pretty good!

mpguy

What are "the 7 cities"?

Ask and thou shall receive.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=7 Cities
7 Cities or Seven Cities refer to the Hampton Roads region of Virginia, located in the state's extreme southeastern corner. Though there are several other counties and cities in the region, the name is derived from the 7 larger core cities that make it up; Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, and Virginia Beach.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
i have permission from the owner of Thai Papaya in Newport News and Hampton to have an OC dinner there. anybody like Thai food?
I eat at both from time to time. Delicious.

I'm curious... Do you know the owner, and this came up in conversation? Or did you seek him/her out to ask this question?

hafnhaf

2nd half of January sounds good for me. We go to dinner there (from work) every thursday. I have a text list that i send out, and the guys (and gals) text me their orders. I call the orders in and its usually on the table when we get there. We have been going there since they opened, and we went to the place under its old owner too. going on 17 years now!

so yes, I know the owner. but i did ask him a while back if we could have an OC dinner/lunch, and he was very receptive to the idea.

also, if anybody wants to join me and my work crew for lunch, just show up any thursday at 11. OC/CC/NoC is fine. We cant carry due to work. :cry:

of course, there are rare times that we cant do thai thursday. like this week. so its thai wednesday!

wrearick

OC'd in the Hobby Lobby on Virginia Beach BLVD (near Lynnhaven Parkway) and saw another patriot OC'ing. thanked each other for exercising our 2A rights and later he got some tips from the misses on lining selves in a gun case he was making.

Old Virginia Joe

i have permission from the owner of Thai Papaya in Newport News and Hampton to have an OC dinner there. anybody like Thai food?

Where EVER it is we decide to go, I hope the setter-upper does some due diligence and quickly consults the Virginia department of health website, to make sure the venue is not one of the food poisoning centers of the commonwealth. My wife and I check things out online before we go anywhere planned, to eat. I sure ain't gonna add onto the cost of the meal an additional fee for the emergency room/insurance copay, plus meds, to eat just anywhere, OCDO or not. Does anyone else here guard their health in this way? Your tax money is funding the website--might as well use it! Every restaurant in the state is listed on there, and the exact food sanitation violations cited.

http://healthspace.com/Clients/VDH/vdh_website.nsf

BlueSquid

I can't say that I have ever used that website before, though I may just start.

On an OP related note, I may have helped convince a fellow freedom lover to begin carrying. The fam and I were waiting at the Walmart service desk to pick up a few site-to-store christmas items we ordered and the gentleman behind us asked me if anybody ever hassled me. He didn't specify for what, but I knew what he was implying. Maybe I should've played dumb to show how much of a norm it is for us that we don't notice it's there until we need it? Oh well. I replied not as of yet, and then pointed out that we try our best to only patronize stores that don't hang a "victims only" sign out front. He said he's been thinking about starting to carry as well, and asked me if I had a concealed license as well. I gave him a simple "Nope!" and tried to encourage him carrying with a few of the old adages, like "you can't carry a cop in your back pocket," and told him I'd prefer to take responsibility for the protection of my own family. My 4.5 month old daughter and 4'10, 90lb wife were with me, which helped accentuate the point. He agreed and said he was all for it. The clerk came back with our items and we said our courtesies and left. Very positive experience for me, and hopefully for him as well. Who knows, maybe we just added another to our ranks?