• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Thundar

I have started to OC in Hampton Roads and have seen a lot of this::what:

Use this thread to document our experiences in Hampton Roads.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thundar

imported post

6 Nov 07 - Election Day - OC in polling place (Local Church). No big issues, but clearly some were uncomfortable.

No issue in Great Bridge Zoots Cleaners, Dollar Tree or McDonald's. No issue in Hickory Chartway FCU, Navy FCU or Farm Fresh.

I went to send a Western Union Money Gram at the Hickory Food Lion. Two Hispanic men who werealso trying to send money via Western Union practically ran away from the counter.

Slowhand

imported post

Thundar wrote:
6 Nov 07 - Election Day - OC in polling place (Local Church). No big issues, but clearly some were uncomfortable.

No issue in Great Bridge Zoots Cleaners, Dollar Tree or McDonald's. No issue in Hickory Chartway FCU, Navy FCU or Farm Fresh.

I went to send a Western Union Money Gram at the Hickory Food Lion. Two Hispanic men who werealso trying to send money via Western Union practically ran away from the counter.
I though OC in a church was a no-no unless you had permission? Am I mistaken?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

As far as I know you can't carry in any way, in a Church with or without permission.

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

peter nap wrote:

As far as I know you can't carry in any way, in a Church with or without permission.

You can if you have a good reason...Personal Protection isa good reason...I carry all the time, every week in church...CC but I still carry.

If fact the Head deacon what's in charge for the week is required to carry too... without letting the sheeple know.

That's two armed while the church is meeting (every time the church is meeting).

In fact the Secular Laws don't understand this... but when the people of the church are not there, the building is just an empty building... not a church.

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I took my Great Dane to the Vet Yesterday OC. No worries. I could hear everyone while me and Lancelot (MyDane) waited for the vet. No one was "Discussing" firearms or Guns...

On the way out a Little old lady saw my 1911:what: and said "YOU HAVE A GUN!!!" in excited tones.

I poured on the southern charm and said "Why yes Ma'am! Don't you? Have a good evening Ma'am” (as the Great dane pulls me out the front door)

C

ccloud43

imported post

Thundar wrote:
I OC almost everywhere in VA beach, Norfolk and local area and have never had a problem. Although every Navy FCU that I go to has a no guns sign so i do all my buisness outside at the drive up teller or atm. Thunder which NFCU do you go to?

VApatriot

imported post

peter nap wrote:

§ 18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.

If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

:question:

This ONLY applies when a service is being held.And, evendurring a service,the "good and sufficient reason" is stillkind of up in the air. There has been no court ruling or AG opinion on what exactly a good and sufficient reason is, but I believe protection of my life and the lives of those around me is a goodand sufficient enoughreason. However, that may yet be determined by a judge.

Thundar

imported post

eter nap wrote:

It took some research to ensure my OC was legal.

1. I went early when there were no services, or even "open time for prayer and reflection." Last year there was no service, but the Church was open for people to pray or reflect. Last year I voted with my Sig in the truck.The church wasn't even openearly this morning, only the multipurpose room for voting.:celebrate

2. I also made sure that there was not a kindergarten in the church. I don't know if a church day care that includes kindergarten is a K-12 school, but until somebody else establishes Virginia case law I will not push it.:exclaim:

It really sux when stupid gun lawsmake honest peoplego to these extremes just to exercise their rights.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[This is from an old post of mine. You could add Riverwalk Restaurant, County Grill, George's Family Restaurant, Starbucks, and other places I can't recall right now. Overall, an easy place to OC in.]

(all York County, unless otherwise noted)

East Coast Gas
Raceway gas
WaWa
7-11, Grafton
Grafton True Value Hardware
A and N sports
Food Lion
Eckerds
Rite Aid
Advance Auto
Winfree's Firearms
Firestone Tire and Auto
Lowe's, NN
HQ, NN
Radisson Hotel, Norfolk
Aamco Transmission, NN
Auto Zone
Harley-Davidson
Movie Scene videos
Roses Dep't store
Wal-Mart
CostCo, NN
Movie Stop, NN
Heritage Barbershop
Hallmark Cards
Dollar Tree
Bass Pro, Hampton
UPS store
K-Mart
ColdStone Icecream, NN
Barnes and Noble, NN
Verizon Wireless, NN
Northern Tool and Equipment, NN

There were others, but you get the drift.

Since I have had no negative experiences, and generally no response from people at all, I'd have to rate the whole thing an A.

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree Dutch Uncle, We have it good here.

I took your list and fixed it for my OC exp.

• East Coast Gas (Rt 17)
  • Raceway gas (Rt 17)
  • 7-11, Grafton
  • Grafton True Value Hardware
  • Food Lion, Grafton Station, Denbigh (all 3)
  • Eckerds
  • Rite Aid
  • Walgreens
  • Advance Auto, Gloucester, Denbigh
  • Dino's Pizza
  • Winfree's Firearms
  • Lowe's, NN
  • HQ, NN
  • Auto Zone
  • Roses Dep't store
  • Wal-Mart
  • Sam's Club
  • Colony Animal Hostpital
  • Dollar Tree
  • Bass Pro, Hampton
  • Northern Tool and Equipment
  • RiverWalk Landing
  • yorkyatch haven
  • West Marine Gloucester and Hampton
  • Moe's Southwest Grille
  • Trader Joe's
  • Game Stop
  • Hampton Public Docks
  • All of downtown Hampton
  • Denbigh Library
  • Newport News Police Station
  • Newport News City Hall
  • Daily Press:what: This was years and years ago.'80 or so.
  • Cinco De Mayo rt 17 (Spelling may be wrong...) Excellent Mexican Buffett...
I am shocked and amazed that we havn't run into each other...

Never a problem, Leo's just nod and go on about their business.

mrguppy

imported post

[align=left]walmart off of nimo
dicks sporting goods
bestbuy on independence
walmart in farmville
shonneys in farmville
taco bell in farmville
a & p arms off of lynhaven
7-11 at mt pleasant and centerville
bp at holland and dam neck
down range tactical on holland and dam neck
teen moblie on indpendence
alltel near Pembroke mall
harris teeter on west neck

so far that is all i can think of

[/align]

vtme_grad98

imported post

For those that carry at church, just be careful of one thing: many churches are also religious schools. 18.2-308.1 specifically states that it applies to all public, private, and religious K-12 schools. If your church also runs a K-12 school in the same building during the week, you are committing a class 6 felony if you enter the structure.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.1

B. If any person possesses any firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material while such person is upon (i) any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (ii) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (iii) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony; however, if the person possesses any firearm within a public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school building and intends to use, or attempts to use, such firearm, or displays such weapon in a threatening manner, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five years to be served consecutively with any other sentence.