• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just spoke with the mall manager and told him of my concerns; namely avoiding harassment from the mall security in the parking lot. I told him that I OC to the mall’s anchor stores all of the time as they are not anti-gun. I also told him that doing business with Dicks it is necessary to carry in weapons to buy, sell, fix etc. Just on the way to the bank today I saw a patron leaving with a rifle from Dick’s. He said that he was formulating a response to the forum poster (Wrewrick) and that he would address our concerns and clarify their policy.
I believe he desires a personal apology.

His correct screen name is wrearick.

wrearick

Just spoke with the mall manager and told him of my concerns; namely avoiding harassment from the mall security in the parking lot. I told him that I OC to the mall’s anchor stores all of the time as they are not anti-gun. I also told him that doing business with Dicks it is necessary to carry in weapons to buy, sell, fix etc. Just on the way to the bank today I saw a patron leaving with a rifle from Dick’s. He said that he was formulating a response to the forum poster (Wrewrick) and that he would address our concerns and clarify their policy.

I am playing voicemail tag with the Mall Manager but at least he is trying to contact me.

wrearick

Who is going to protect us from mall security?

Here are a couple of links involving the stellar cast of former Lynn Haven mall security employees. Including Darnell Florence who followed a fellow employee into a dressing room at Dillard’s before exposing himself. He was arrested for indecent exposure and sexual battery.
http://privateofficerbreakingnews.blogspot.com/2010/04/store-security-guard-charged-with-sex.html

Looks like Patience Perez was also employed at Lynn Haven Mall as a security guard. She is the school security guard who had an ongoing affair with one of her 15 year old students. She tried to get him to kill her husband.
http://hamptonroads.com/2013/03/former-school-worker-accused-plot-kill-husband

On a side note: I have never had a problem with OC from law enforcement or normal customers, not even 1 comment has ever been made. Any issue whatsoever has always come from security guards/ Loss prevention. Many of these people have extensive criminal backgrounds and are very, very sketchy looking.

Thanks Mongoose72. My take on Florence is that he worked for the store loss prevention group vice the mall security. As such he would have been in regular clothes and look like a regular customer. My experience with LP folks working at Sears part time the last 5 years is that there are a few core, competent folks, and a lot of folks who are wanna-be cops but didn't have the ability or temperament for it, so they go into private security.

A big thanks for taking the time to call and add your concern to mine with the mall management.

wrearick

I believe he desires a personal apology.

His correct screen name is wrearick.

It would be nice (an apology) but my main goal is to push back on what I see as an infringement of our 2A rights. I may not like businesses posting no weapons signs but accept their right to do so. In turn, I exercise my right to spend my money elsewhere where my right to self defense is not restricted. I will still shop at Sears (Pembroke/greenbrier), Dick's (Lynnhaven), Barnes and Nobles (lynnhaven), and shoe factory warehouse (Pembroke) as they are 2A/OC friendly and can be accessed directly from the parking lot without having to "enter" the mall allowing me to respect the management's signs. Thursday's incident represents an attempt to restrict my access to those businesses and in effect is an attempt to prevent me from doing business there while OC'ing.

The second "issue" I want to shine a bright light on is a security officer, in the execution of his official duties, presenting false information/direction to shoppers based on his own prejudices and presenting it as "the law". In my mind, officer Reardon abused his power and attempted to impose restrictions and take away legal rights (right to record conversations) under the guise of being a knowledgeable, law enforcement officer. I am pushing back and would be delighted if the mall manager reviews the policy and execution of duties by the security staff and curtails the undue taking of personal liberties of the citizens of Virginia. I do not expect them to change their policy on carrying, open or concealed but reel in the power hungry abusers in the group that make up rules/laws to suit their beliefs.

Last edited:

wrearick

update

I received a phone call from the GM of Dick's in response to my email. He thanked me. Reiterated that Dick's does not impose restrictions on it's valued customers and that he was unaware of the mall attempting to enforce policies on customer coming to his location. He has a meeting scheduled with the manager of the mall to discuss the issue and will push the issue higher up his chain if necessary if an understanding/clarification can not be reached. He does not want LAC to choose to shop at the town center location vice his due to external policies. He is going to keep me informed.

Mongoose72

Lynn Haven Mall Continued

No problem Wrearick, it could have just as easily have been me being harassed.

I think that most malls/ businesses which have an antigun policy do not want it to be well publicized. Rather they want to have it to protect them from legal liabilities and to be able to selectively enforce it when they choose e.g. OCers. By not prominently posting large visible signs these businesses in practice allow for CC as most CC people will probably never know of their policy. This BTW is the Costco policy, antigun, but no posting.

To actually enforce the policy Sgt. Reardon wants then Lynn Haven mall would have to have signs at all of the entrances to the parking lots notifying the customers that they have entered a victim zone. I am sure this would raise the mall’s already high crime rate. Of course this won’t happen as there would be a much larger backlash. Hopefully the mall manager will clarify the policy as only belonging to the internal mall proper.

Finally, even though most of the anchor stores’ GMs will never open carry themselves I have found that many/ most people do support gun rights. I think that you have already made some good progress on this.

sandiego

went to walmart today and a mentally challenged young man walked up to me and said really loudly "i wanna be a cop too" lol. all i could say was thanks?
i also went to hess on rosemont and was complimented on my sidearm by the chick working the counter

wrearick

OC'd at Fresh Market (no signs/no comments), Birkenstock Shoes, Michaels, and then we walked on the beach, both at the water's edge, along the boardwalk and along Atlantic Avenue. We spoke/interacted with a number of visitors. No comment on my attire, no one observed running away screaming hysterically. All in all a good day.

wrearick

OC'd with the wife's weight loss group at Panera Bread at Kemps River Crossing. Stopped in at the Farm Fresh there on the way home for a book of stamps. had to wait for the manager to get one out of the safe. While waiting a gentleman about 20 years my senior asked if I was an officer stationed at the store or just carrying. I told him I was just carrying for me, he smiled, patted me on the weak side shoulder a couple of times as he walked by smiling and nodding his head. It had a "changing of the guard" feel to the whole thing.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
.... No comment on my attire, no one observed running away screaming hysterically. All in all a good day.

Get it straight. What we are hoping to avoid is

"horses fainting, women stampeding, and the streets running red with blood"

Anything less than that is probably a sign of a Good Day[SUP]TM[/SUP], :D

But yes, we all hope that our reports of OCing are "nothing happened".

stay safe.

wrearick

Get it straight. .....
"horses fainting, women stampeding, and the streets running red with blood"

I will remember that. Seems a bit dated :confused:as I did't see any horses but there were definately some buffalo, cows, and.....let me stop there :uhoh:before I get in too much trouble.......":eek:(LIGHT :idea:CLICKS ON IN BRAIN)

Got it.....
There were no horses fainting, women stampeding, and no streets running red with blood - a very good day :D (safe line - keep me out of trouble in more than one way!)

Last edited:

wrearick

update on lynnhaven mall

(grapeshot not sure if you want to pull these posts out into a seperate/new thread or not)

Just got off the phone with Mike Harris, Exectutive General Manager of Lynnhaven Mall. Nice guy. We have been playing voicemail tag all week and finally got to talk.
The management company that runs this mall manages a large number of shopping centers and malls across numberous states and the Code of Conduct was developed and implemented the same at ALL locations for consistency. A number of those properties have tenants that sell firearms and this incident has highlighted an impediment to their conducting buisness under this code of conduct.
1. As a result of my inquiry there is currently discussion ongoing at the corporate level on "possibly" modifying the policy, at least at locations that contain tenants that sell firearms. I do not expect any quick decision but hopefully they will find a way that LACs can still patronize these buisnesses without being in violation of the code and subject to expulsion from the property.
2. the pocket code of conduct card carried by Sgt Reardon was outdated and all officer will recieve updated/current cards
3. There will be some change to the standard opening line to the effect that the officers will inform a person observed carrying that firearms are prohibited instead of asking if a person is a LEO.

I stressed to Mr. Harris that it was my desire to honor the posted restrictions but didn't understand they applied to the parking lot as well that I understood that in some locations anchor stores actually own the lots around their building and there is no easy way to tell where the mall property and business property boundaries are. I am sure that some of the impetus for the discussion came from the concerns of Dick's Sporting Goods Management discussions with the management company, but it is a legitamite issue and one that they are now trying to address. One can hope.

Last edited:

sandiego

went to walmart. some other guy was also oc'ing. he was wearing a sleeveless tee and he was a pretty burly looking guy. didnt say anything since i was checking out

homestar

VA Open Carry - Hampton Roads

Anyone been to the Chrysler Museum recently? Thinking of heading over there today. Don't see any commentary about them since 2010.

Last edited:

Old Virginia Joe

Newport News picnic

We've had several VCDL picnics in Newport News - lots of OCers.

VCDL Open Carry Picnic - vcdl.org and opencarry.org held a picnic at Newport News, VA and over 200 people showed up!

This NightLine program was well received:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY8XxVmSpCQ

This used to be an annual event there at the NN Park. IIRC, it never happened last year. Is it scheduled for this summer, or is it no longer being held for this area members?

homestar

Anyone been to the Chrysler Museum recently? Thinking of heading over there today. Don't see any commentary about them since 2010.

For anyone on the edge of their seat, a mini report: I had forgotten there was no real screening of visitors so I probably could have carried. I didn't because I was with family and didn't want the hassle of going back to the car. No signs or posted rules caught my attention, but I may have missed them.