• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Cam757

Airport

Spoke to the police officers at my work at the Newport News Airport, told me it was cool to carry everywhere but inside the terminal building. Airports have always been an iffy area, especially the parking garage just figure to let everyone know in case!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Spoke to the police officers at my work at the Newport News Airport, told me it was cool to carry everywhere but inside the terminal building. Airports have always been an iffy area, especially the parking garage just figure to let everyone know in case!

Police officers have not been recommended sources of legal advice, which they cannot give legally in any event.

The difficulty is determining what and where is a terminal building. Much confusion on that point.

See User's post:
http://vagunforum.net/virginia-laws/general-aviation-terminal-t6837.html

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.01

Parking garages, roadways, and sidewalks are not "iffy areas" - good to go there.

Cam757

Police officers have not been recommended sources of legal advice, which they cannot give legally in any event.

The difficulty is determining what and where is a terminal building. Much confusion on that point.

See User's post:

Parking garages, roadways, and sidewalks are not "iffy areas" - good to go there.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. As for the parking garage, I was afraid it would be considered airport grounds because it is on airport property.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

See User's post:

Cam757 - Welcome to OCDO.

Forget Grapeshot's first link above - the Code of Virginia does not distinguish between General Aviation Terminal and Commercial Aviation Terminal or Candy-coated Carnival Terminal. It simply says "air carrier airport terminal".

"Terminal" is not defined in the Code of Virginia (at least not that I can find). The best I can find is http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-2095 which says what is not a terminal:

....Lots used by such carriers for parking, storage and servicing of motor vehicles used in the business of such carriers and for taking on and discharging passengers shall not be deemed terminals. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to exempt the payment of license taxes on any other business that may be conducted on, at, or in any such terminal or lot.

stay safe.

6L6GC

OC in NPN

Open carried in a few auto parts stores trying to find the correct water pump for our daughter's car. Much debating about the water pump but nary a word about the Kimber. Went to Davis alignment but got no service. Also got no mention of the Kimber. HOW does that place stay in business? OC'd in wally world (Victory Blvd.) getting her new tires. Got tires. Got no mention of the Kimber. Open carried in the Exxon (Denbigh & Jefferson). Got fuel. Got no mention of the Kimber. OC'd in the 7-11. Got coffee and a cheese Danish but got no mention of the Kimber. Open carried in the Lilly Manor. Nobody said anything about the Kimber. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to get a shinnier gun...........

roN

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Open carried in a few auto parts stores trying to find the correct water pump for our daughter's car. Much debating about the water pump but nary a word about the Kimber. Went to Davis alignment but got no service. Also got no mention of the Kimber. HOW does that place stay in business? OC'd in wally world (Victory Blvd.) getting her new tires. Got tires. Got no mention of the Kimber. Open carried in the Exxon (Denbigh & Jefferson). Got fuel. Got no mention of the Kimber. OC'd in the 7-11. Got coffee and a cheese Danish but got no mention of the Kimber. Open carried in the Lilly Manor. Nobody said anything about the Kimber. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to get a shinnier gun...........

roN

Apparently even folks in Hampton Roads are too polite to say anything about a person who carries a Kimber. :p

stay safe.

2a4all

roN

Apparently even folks in Hampton Roads are too polite to say anything about a person who carries a Kimber. :p

stay safe.
And rightly so. He's a man of small stature, so that Kimber looks extra big on him. Combined, there's a strong suggestion that courtesy is the way to go.

sandiego

Went to whitner's to pick up some food and noticed another open carry patron. As he was leaving I also noticed his sidearm did not have a magazine in the well. Wish I caught it earlier or I would have asked why

6L6GC

One thing leads to another

I generally open carry just about everywhere I go. Grocery stores. Auto parts stores. City parks. Department stores. Libraries (yes, I can read! lol). Walks through the neighborhood. At home. That I open carry at home is so normal for me that I don't even think about it often, its just something I do. Like wearing pants and drinking coffee. And I drink LOTS of coffee. And I frequently wear pants!! I also open carry when we have company over. The wife and I sometimes will have a "get together" and have friends over to join us in over eating and drinking too much coffee, soda, tea, etc.

During those festive events I open carry just like I always do (most of my friends do too). Among the few friends that does not open carry is one lady that doesn't even own a gun and had never fired a gun. She asked if I'd "teach her to shoot" so I agreed. We set aside a time to meet and when the day came she and I had a lengthy discussion about gun safety.

I explained in detail about muzzle discipline, trigger discipline. I stressed over and over about treating every gun as if it is always loaded. I bored her to tears (well almost) about muzzle discipline. I showed her that the gun was cleared and explained to her how she could verify that for herself. I let her handle the empty pistol so she could see how it felt in her hand. I showed her how to rack the slide. Explained the proper sight picture etc. So. after a few sessions of gun safety gun safety gun safety finally the big day came.

She came over and I took her to the range (LGC). Had a refresher course about safety. I made a serious effort to make her comfortable. When we got to the range I explained to her (again) about how to obtain and hold the proper sight picture. I drew sketches to show proper sight alignment. Pulled up a few pics on the 'net to show her about sight pictures. All in all it was a take it slow and easy, no pressure kind of event. We had coffee. Chatted. She said she was ready.

The results: she did great!! My preaching about safety paid off well. She kept the muzzle down range at ALL TIMES. Once, when she wanted to ask me a question, she put the safety on, laid the pistol on the bench, muzzle down range (just like I told her to always do) then asked the question. When she was ready to resume shooting she made sure she had the pistol well in hand and trained down range before returning the safety to the fire position. It was great.

I've seen seasoned shooters, old salts, veteran marksman, gun range ninjas, etc that have been in the sport a long time show less concern for safety than she did. I rarely do anything that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy but that was a special trip to the range.

How'd she do?? She fired 50 rounds. Only missed the target (regular sheet of copy paper) 3 times out of 50 at 25'. Of the 47 that hit the paper, 44 was "in the circle" with 12 in the 10 ring and 3 bulls eyes!!!! I was stunned. She was ecstatic. HUGE smiles. Happy dances. She couldn't quit smiling. She kept saying "wait till he (her husband) see THIS!! She was not only not nervous, she was having a ball.

The bottom line, open carrying may be the catalyst that brings others to set aside their fears/doubts and get not only involved in the sport of target shooting but to become active in taking steps to defend themselves and their families. Had I been one of those types that put the gun away when company was coming this lady may have never been prompted to ask for help in learning how to shoot. She and her husband viewed my open carry as "normal" and "OK". Now they are becoming confident in their ability to safely handle a gun.

Although there are some that feel that wearing a gun at home during a social event is inappropriate, I disagree. It has been a positive for all involved here. I encourage others to do the same.

roN

6L6GC

Except at the school

Open carried all over town like always. Regular places. The one place I could not open carry was at the school where my grandson plays on the youth soccer team. sigh. I won't say that I carried multiple cutting edge weapons as a substitute. I won't say it. So far his team is undefeated. Just like last year. Maybe some day we can be free citizens on school property too. Kids are worth protecting.

cheers,

roN

mpguy

Been MIA for a few due to work. Carrying at the usual places in Suffolk and no issues to report. Hope everyone is doing OK, and looking forward to meeting the new faces, and some of the older ones...No pun intended :p