• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

wrearick

Saturday, OC'd at:
Pops Diner - Lynnhaven Mall (oops that was today...Sunday)
Walmart and the Subway inside walmart. (Lynnhaven and Princess Anne)

Only comment was from an elderly lady at the subway check out waiting to get change (we had 7 sandwiches being made). She asked if my sidearm was a taser, and I said "no mam, it is a 9 mm" to which one of the female customers in line behind us remarked "that's my kind of gun!)" I shared with the older lady that unfortunately, we live in a troubled world and one never knows when they are going to find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time but I want to make sure I am around to tell the story if it happens to me. She thought that made a lot of sense.

BlueSquid

OC'd Monday the 18th of Oct while walking the dog, conversed with several neighbors. Also, in the Farm Fresh near my residence, and a Taco Bell on the way home for a snack. All positive experiences, nobody even seemed to notice.

maverick2694

Hi everyone,

I don't post here much since transferring from the Hampton Roads area, but I thought I would share an experience that a good friend had at Zia Marie Restaurant in Virginia Beach yesterday. The following is his post on Facebook:

"It was a nice day and I was in a good mood. I took my daughter out to dinner at a popular local Italian restaurant here in Virginia Beach that's actually within a nice quiet neighborhood along Chics Beach. Even a favorite site to local politicians. After being seated and waiting for our appetizers I received a phone call. Since I believe it to be rude to cell at the table I decided to take the call outside of the restaurant. Upon finishing the call two middle aged couples approach as I began to walk back in. I say hello and hold the door open behind me for them. My intention was just an expression of plain obvious courtesy with no expectations in receiving anything but maybe a, thank you. This guy says, "wow, if I would of known that they had a door man I would have prepared a tip." Which was okay to me so I lightly laughed and said, "I'm not the doorman but I'll take the tip". He took me completely off guard. With a straight face, a gun on his belt, no hesitation or introduction to sarcasm, he says, "here's a tip, stay out of my neighborhood". Now I can't say something like that has never happened to me before, but I was really surprised. This guy almost messed up my nice day and good mood. Yes, he was a white guy and yes, dinner was great."

My friend doesn't OC, but the "gentleman" who spoke to him was. Not sure if he was off duty LEO, or a civilian, but he was not in a uniform.

This type of interaction makes all OC'ers look bad. I just hope that it was no one on here.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi everyone,

I don't post here much since transferring from the Hampton Roads area, but I thought I would share an experience that a good friend had at Zia Marie Restaurant in Virginia Beach yesterday. The following is his post on Facebook:

"It was a nice day and I was in a good mood. I took my daughter out to dinner at a popular local Italian restaurant here in Virginia Beach that's actually within a nice quiet neighborhood along Chics Beach. Even a favorite site to local politicians. After being seated and waiting for our appetizers I received a phone call. Since I believe it to be rude to cell at the table I decided to take the call outside of the restaurant. Upon finishing the call two middle aged couples approach as I began to walk back in. I say hello and hold the door open behind me for them. My intention was just an expression of plain obvious courtesy with no expectations in receiving anything but maybe a, thank you. This guy says, "wow, if I would of known that they had a door man I would have prepared a tip." Which was okay to me so I lightly laughed and said, "I'm not the doorman but I'll take the tip". He took me completely off guard. With a straight face, a gun on his belt, no hesitation or introduction to sarcasm, he says, "here's a tip, stay out of my neighborhood". Now I can't say something like that has never happened to me before, but I was really surprised. This guy almost messed up my nice day and good mood. Yes, he was a white guy and yes, dinner was great."

My friend doesn't OC, but the "gentleman" who spoke to him was. Not sure if he was off duty LEO, or a civilian, but he was not in a uniform.

This type of interaction makes all OC'ers look bad. I just hope that it was no one on here.
I'm a bit confused.

If your friend was not OCing, what might have provoked that interaction? I can't connect the dots.

2a4all

Hi everyone,

His action borders on making a threat. Your friend should report this to the police. This individual is not the type of OC ambassador we are looking for.

sandiego

went to texas roadhouse tonight. dont think any of the employees noticed but im sure a few of the customers noticed but didnt say anything

BlueSquid

Went to my normal 7-11 tonight, opted to carry The Judge today, rather than my normal LC9s. The clerk noticed the change of jewelery and commented on how he liked it and asked how much it cost. Rest of the customers in the store didn't even seem to notice. All in all, a pleasant experience!

wrearick

Was out at C2 range on Sunday and stopped for lunch at Creeds Cafe afterwards. No comments problems with OCing. Also recently OC's at all of the following places at Landstown Center (Damneck and Princess Anne) Michaels, Bed Bath and Beyond, Office Max, Super Ninja, IHOP, Skinny Dip, Steak house there (forget exact name...Longhorn?) No problems at all.

BlueSquid

Buffalo Wild Wings for some dinner with the fam, actually saw another fella OC'ing, but given the venue, I didn't feel it appropriate to approach him just to say hey. Also Went to Kmart after to pick up a few baby toys for Christmas gifts. Got one comment in line at Kmart, guy liked my LC9S. Positive experience all around, today.

BlueSquid

The one near me doesn't have one that I've seen. Matter of fact, that's the third time I've been to that location over the last few months, and each time there's been someone OC'ing. Tonight was the first time I've done it there, though. All employees were very pleasant, as well.

*Edit* My guess is that this is a franchised location that seems to be ok with it. Only reason I never thought to dig deeper into their policy was because I had seen other customers doing it regularly, and it seems unlikely I just happened to be there the two random times before that others were doing it with positive results. I'll keep this in mind in the future, though. The chain may have just lost a customer, though.

Last edited:

BlueSquid

That's kind of my thought. I'll definitely keep going to this location, as I've had good experiences there both concerning OC and just general dining experience. But, I will definitely try to avoid other locations before attempting a little research first.