• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

wylde007

imported post

aquinob1 wrote:
I went on to educate HER on my 2nd amendment right and the fact that I open carry for the very reason that my permit hasn't gotten back yet. She seemed pretty interested. Turned out to be a good conversation.
Good for you. Excellent job educating. If you get the chance, try to get your hands on some of the "OCDO" cards that sometimes get handed out (go to an open-carry dinner or event). They are a great little pocket resource for helping people understand Virginia's laws and their rights, as well as web site URLs for additional info.

Even after I get the permit, I plan on OC'ing when I can.
Yep. I got my CHP and to me it's more like a VIP carry permit. It's really just so I can carry within 1000' of a school and into the G.A. building in Richmond. Very few other benefits to CC, IMO.

Welcome aboard.

Pagan

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
aquinob1 wrote:
I went on to educate HER on my 2nd amendment right and the fact that I open carry for the very reason that my permit hasn't gotten back yet. She seemed pretty interested. Turned out to be a good conversation.
Good for you. Excellent job educating. If you get the chance, try to get your hands on some of the "OCDO" cards that sometimes get handed out (go to an open-carry dinner or event). They are a great little pocket resource for helping people understand Virginia's laws and their rights, as well as web site URLs for additional info.

Even after I get the permit, I plan on OC'ing when I can.
Yep. I got my CHP and to me it's more like a VIP carry permit. It's really just so I can carry within 1000' of a school and into the G.A. building in Richmond. Very few other benefits to CC, IMO.

Welcome aboard.
Another benefit being able to deal with bad weather more easily.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Short outing this morning/noontime but eventful. Left the house around 1030. Got haircut first. While sitting in the chair, the middle-aged Asian "barber" (stylist) asked what I did and I told her I was retired. She replied with the usual 'I'm too young to retire' and I replied with the standard 'I didn't plan on it, but these things happen'. She asked what I did while I was in the military, and I told her. She replied that she was afraid of guns and I went on to compare firearms to tools for self-protection & home defense of family, etc. She agreed that was a good idea, but still insisted she was afraid of them. I continued with the tool analogy and asked if she would take a shower with her hair dryer or electric clippers. I finally "reached her" and she admitted that although she was still "afraid" of them, she could understand the need for having one and learning how to use one. She even ASKED for an OC card (which I supplied). I spoke to her about the crime rate in the area and where she lived and told her I couldn't afford to feed a cop all the time, and they were too big to carry around. She laughed dutifully. She never noticed I was OCing, even when I went with her to the register to pay. I told her she never even noticed my friend on my left hip and she gasped, but I assured her it hadn't hurt her yet and wouldn't. She had spent the last 20 minutes just a couple inches away from it. I don't think thealmost 50% tip hurt her feelings, either. I asked for her card and her schedule so she could cut my hair next time.

I got to Taco Bell across the parking lot for lunch around 1130. I thought they would be busy, but there was onlyone table occupied. As I entered the place, I noticed two young citizens with oversize coats with professional sports team logos on them, baseball hats on sideways with the bills ironed flat. Their trousers didn't seem to fit well because they had to pull them up when they got up from the table. Their heads were together over a table, no food (or even a tray or drinks) on the table. They glanced up at me as I came through the door.
I almost laughed when they :what:and immediately got up from their table andbumped into each other trying to get to the nearest door. Their eyes never left me as they walked quickly down the sidewalkto their car in the parking lot that was closest to the door through which I entered. I was curious about their behavior. Ilooked nonchalant as I tried to read their license plate. It had mud obscuring most of it.

That really made me wonder... It was lunchtime. Maybe they were late for getting back to work. Maybe they were on their way to the bank to make a withdrawl. Perhaps they planned on a withdrawl from the Taco Bell. It is the Christmas Shopping Season, so maybe they were just planning their shopping trip for the day... :cool:
Maybe they just didn't like Kimbers. They seemed to be Raven Aficionados.
I wonder whose pulse and BP was higher, too... Mine or theirs?

I haven't had an adreneline "dump" like thatin awhile... I think its time for my afternoonnap.

45acpForMe

imported post

Took my daughter to dinner and OC-edat Ruby Tuesday off Victory Blvd in Yorktown. Got very good service and not a single problem. (normally their service needs improvement)

Overheard the table next to us talking about them going to a gun show tomorrow but didn't see anyone else carrying.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Dutch Uncle, two of my roommates, and I all went to Hardees for lunch on rt17(All OCing). A guy sitting in the corner of the restaurant put a ski mask on and stood up revealing something printing pretty badly under his sweatshirt. My heart started racing because he was looking directly at us as well as his buddy.:uhoh: They left without issue, but putting a ski mask on in public is a crime and it certainly can't be a good thing in a restaurant. I'm not sure what his intentions were, but the guy had me worried.:what:Thinking about it now, we probably should have called the cops since he was committing a crime let alone scaring the crap out of everyone in the restaurant!

45acpForMe

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Dutch Uncle, two of my roommates, and I all went to Hardees for lunch on rt17(All OCing). A guy sitting in the corner of the restaurant put a ski mask on and stood up revealing something printing pretty badly under his sweatshirt. My heart started racing because he was looking directly at us as well as his buddy.:uhoh: They left without issue, but putting a ski mask on in public is a crime and it certainly can't be a good thing in a restaurant. I'm not sure what his intentions were, but the guy had me worried.:what:Thinking about it now, we probably should have called the cops since he was committing a crime let alone scaring the crap out of everyone in the restaurant!
You might have prevented a robbery. Maybe he was pissed that they weren't going to follow through and wanted to at least scare you all a little as payback. (not that bright on his part but no one ever said criminals were smart)

I intended to OC today but with the wind and rain it turned into a CC day. I didn't want any acid rain eating away at my gun or holster.

6L6GC

imported post

I guess Williamsburg is considered part of Hampton Roads. At any rate I open carried while eating in the restaurant in the Marriott hotel there in Williamsburg. I/we were operating the table at the Republican Advance shin-dig. Cary Nunnally and Doug Peterson was there to help me out. Philip Vancleave came by as well so we were pretty well staffed at the table.

Philip and I decided that we were hungry so Cary and Doug graciously offered to "mind the store" whilst we gorged ourselves of pricy hotel fare. Since adult beverages are on the menu we had to open carry. As if we minded, right?? ;)

Glock 19

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:

with this incident here is a question we all have to ask our selves,

if you draw on some one are you ready to use it...because from what i have been told, if you draw you are commit ed, so you better use it. i even have to ask myself this and iam still looking deep down for that answer..

2a4all

imported post

6L6GC wrote:
Philip and I decided that we were hungry so Cary and Doug graciously offered to "mind the store" whilst we gorged ourselves of pricy hotel fare. Since adult beverages are on the menu we had to open carry. As if we minded, right?? ;)

And you'd think that they'd have brought back some dessert. :(

All in all, two enjoyable days. Got to chat with a few of the politically elite that stopped by the table.

Pagan

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
You missed your chanceI think.

[align=center]

prev | next

§ 18.2-422. Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places; exceptions. [/align]
It shall be unlawful for any person over sixteen years of age while wearing any mask, hood or other device whereby a substantial portion of the face is hidden or covered so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, to be or appear in any public place, or upon any private property in this Commonwealth without first having obtained from the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in writing. However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to persons (i) wearing traditional holiday costumes; (ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons; (iii) engaged in any bona fide theatrical production or masquerade ball; or (iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device. The violation of any provisions of this section shall constitute a Class 6 felony.

(Code 1950, §§ 18.1-364, 18.1-367; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1986, c. 19.)

wylde007

imported post

Revisit of an old opportunity:

The local catamaran sailing club (Hobie Fleet 32) has its annual Christmas Party at Tautog's Restaurant. For those who do not know, Bill Gambrell is the owner of both Tautog's Restaurant @ Winston's Cottage and also Doc Taylor's Restaurant on 23rd Street in Virginia Beach.

Tautog's is a supper and special-event restaurant. Doc Taylor's serves breakfast and lunch immediately next door.

Bill once served on either City Planning Commission or City Council, I forget.

About a year-½ ago I was openly carrying in Tautog's. One of the servers approached me and informed me that it was ILLEGAL to have a firearm in a restaurant to which I corrected him regarding CC-vs-OC (no need to go into what we all already know). He seemed satisfied.

A few minutes later another employee (manager) came over and told me that it was against policy to have firearms in the restaurant and would I please go put it in my car. Still on property, but outside of the restaurant.

Well, I had an opportunity yesterday to ask Bill about it personally. He said he remembers being told of the occurrence and that is indeed his policy. "My dad was in the Navy and I have no problem with guns, I just don't want them in my restaurant." His next statement floored me:

"If you want to leave it in your vehicle that's fine, and then if something comes up and there's a problem you can go out and get it if you need it."

That may be slightly paraphrased, but holy carp! Seriously? If there's an issue where I need a firearm to defend myself and I can get to my car I'm damn sure not coming BACK INSIDE! What folly.

He expounded saying that he had a few people that he knew that carried (and that worked for him) that he didn't trust carrying in the restaurant and that was the reason for the policy. I told him it didn't matter who he told could and could not carry, if their intention is to do harm, then they're going to. The only people he disarms by having a "no guns" policy is lawful citizens, who become targets/potential victims by entering his restaurant.

I am considering writing him a letter as a follow-up, but I don't know what kind of good it will do. Hopefully after the first session of the GA this coming year there will be no more OC/CC conflict in the law and only posted establishments (don't worry, I'm not going to say a word about "posting" to him) will be able to deny lawful carry... because what they can't see they can't say.

I will still OC with every available opportunity.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Alex, You guys demonstrated an AMAZING amount of tact and discipline. Yeah maybe you should have called "911" and given a description of what you saw, what they were wearing, vehicle description and direction of travel after they left, but that's all water under the bridge. You got out alive and no one was hurt.

I honestly can't say how I would have reacted. If I had seen a guy put on a ski mask and I saw the unmistakeable outline of a weapon, I probably would have drawn my weapon and yelled at him to put hishands up.

Since we both carry the same pistol, you know as well as I do that my laser tracewould have looked like the Midnight Pink Floyd Show at the Planetarium on his t-shirt.

If he saw the "laser show" he may take the shaking for unwillingness to pull the trigger or inexperience. He would have been wrong on both counts and that would be bad.

That would have resulted in a LOT of paperwork and possibly an extended vacation. I don't think I would enjoy that...

I'm glad it wasn't me, Brother. I think you did the right thing. Don't second guess yourself. There was no shootout and no one was hurt. Good judgement. I'm sure others will "Monday Morning Quarterback" this to death in the coming days. I'm sure they'll say I'm FOS and you're an idiot. Fluckem. They weren't there.

Semper Paratus, Brother!

mike

Pagan

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Alex, You guys demonstrated an AMAZING amount of tact and discipline. Yeah maybe you should have called "911" and given a description of what you saw, what they were wearing, vehicle description and direction of travel after they left, but that's all water under the bridge. You got out alive and no one was hurt.

I honestly can't say how I would have reacted. If I had seen a guy put on a ski mask and I saw the unmistakeable outline of a weapon, I probably would have drawn my weapon and yelled at him to put hishands up.

Since we both carry the same pistol, you know as well as I do that my laser tracewould have looked like the Midnight Pink Floyd Show at the Planetarium on his t-shirt.

If he saw the "laser show" he may take the shaking for unwillingness to pull the trigger or inexperience. He would have been wrong on both counts and that would be bad.

That would have resulted in a LOT of paperwork and possibly an extended vacation. I don't think I would enjoy that...

I'm glad it wasn't me, Brother. I think you did the right thing. Don't second guess yourself. There was no shootout and no one was hurt. Good judgement. I'm sure others will "Monday Morning Quarterback" this to death in the coming days. I'm sure they'll say I'm FOS and you're an idiot. Fluckem. They weren't there.

Semper Paratus, Brother!

mike
I have to agree with ya Mike, I may have done something different, maybe not, but hell maybe the guy went home and re-thought his course in life, it was a BIG eye opener for all parties involved,lol.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
Tonight:
Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant and Barnes and Nobel on Va beach blvd.....dont know if they are friendly or not, but was uneventful.

I OC in Barnes & Noble regularly. Never a problem.

OC'd tonight at Books a Millon near the AMC Hampton 24 theater. no problems.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pagan wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

Semper Paratus, Brother!

mike
I have to agree with ya Mike, I may have done something different, maybe not, but hell maybe the guy went home and re-thought his course in life, it was a BIG eye opener for all parties involved,lol.
I certainly got a little concerned when that young, somewhat scruffy guy put the black ski mask on, but he didn't reach under his jacket, and headed straight for the door. I just watched very closely until he was completely gone,:shock: then went back to my burger.:p I wasn't all that alarmed or charged up, just annoyed that someone would do something that stupid (and illegal). It certainly wasn't cold enough for a ski mask! I didn't know it was a felony, though! In any event, we were 4 armed dudes with attitude around that table, and I think we could have handled any problem that might have come up. If we all had stood up, that might have been a sphincter-tightener for Halloween Boy. Not only were we all armed and OCing, but Alex's friend Rob had a tactical leg rig.:what:

By the way, we had no problems from the staff or patrons.

Parethetically, I am carrying OC/CC pretty much all the time now because I need a cane temporarily. I realize my condition makes me a better target for jerks or predators, so I am a bit more vigilant. I work at Ft. Eustis, and 2 nights ago, two female employees were working late by themselves when someone started pounding hard on the clinic door yelling "Let me in, let me in!" He wouldn't identify himself, and kept pounding and yelling the same thing. They told him to go away, and they called the MP's (who took 15 MINUTES to get there !!) In the meantime, he tried to get in the side door, yelling his crap and pounding. He left before the MPs arrived and wasn't found. The women were pretty shook up, and have decided no more after dark work if no escorts. We discussed the event and our various options. I called the station police yesterday and found out (to my pleasant surprise) that Tasers are NOT illegal on the base. Four women I work with jotted down the info on them and at least 2 of them will probably be ordering a Christmas present for themselves. I might consider the same thing. We have had one fatal stabbing and a number of other less serious assaults on the base since I have worked there (2 years), so that "Gun Free Zone" isn't violence free by any stretch. One wonders what might have happened at Ft. Hood if someone within 15 ft. had gotten a shot at that Islamofascist pig. Someone could have taken his pistols while he was dong the 1000,000 volt Chicken Dance.

darthmord

imported post

Met the wife of one of my co-workers at a Christmas party on Friday afternoon (at work). We got to talking about rights and the conversation drifted to firearms. She and her husband both have their CHPs. I howed her mine. The conversation then went into the whole CHP process.

She and her husband are from Georgia and they really appreciate 'shall issue' here in comparison to places they've lived in the past. She, like many of us here carries all the time (in her own words) "Because you never know when trouble will come find you".

I asked her if she or her husband ever open carried. She gave me a funny look and asked "Is that even legal here?".

--cue up one of Ed's cards--

I gave her one of Ed's cards and gave her a brief run down on the major points of OC. She seemed to be genuinely surprised. She thanked me for the card and I let her get back to helping with the after-party cleanup (she had some dishware she had to return afterwards).

Thanks again for making those cards available Ed!

aquinob1

imported post

I have been Oc'ing everywhere since I joined the site a few weeks ago.

Thoughts: This is mainly for the "new guys" like myself. At first, I was very apprehensive, a little uncomfortable, nervious, and a tad bit scared to OC my first 2 or 3 days. It was something totally new for me. I had NEVER heard about OC at all until I stumbled on this site. At the time, I also didn't have a CHP. Well...even more reason to OC! I had to beat it in my head that I wasn't doing anything wrong nor was I breaking any laws. Someone put it best on this board that set me easy half way into my first week of OC'ing. "If a cop stops you and has 'a problem' with your OC; let them know that under Virginia law you cannot conceal your weapon because you do not have a permit." That really stuck with my and that was going to be the length of my conversation. If it went any further I would ask if I was being detained and if not, keep going about my business.

OC: Too many to mention in the past 2 weeks. Hit Wal-mart numerous times. OC'd in Navy Fed on Shore Drive today (first time OC'ing in a bank).Clerk/ greeterup front looked down at my .40 but didn't seem very phased about. got in line; recieved a few double takes but was uneventful. Also OC'd at ORF last Friday picking up a buddy getting back from Afghanistan. Walked in the terminal up to the waiting area. Cop walked by me on my strong side and didn't even look back. Sat on the benches outside the TSA area for about 45 minutes until his flight got in.

OC'ed at Smokey Bones on Virginia Beach and Independence BLVD on Friday as well. Have heard bad reports about them and that there is a policy on handguns in their place but no one said a word.

Hopfully we can get another OC dinner together for Hampton Roads before the holidays (hopefully somewhere in Norfolk or Virginia Beach this time).

45acpForMe

imported post

aquinob1 wrote:
.... Also OC'd at ORF last Friday picking up a buddy getting back from Afghanistan. Walked in the terminal up to the waiting area. Cop walked by me on my strong side and didn't even look back. Sat on the benches outside the TSA area for about 45 minutes until his flight got in.
.... Hopfully we can get another OC dinner together for Hampton Roads before the holidays (hopefully somewhere in Norfolk or Virginia Beach this time).
I started OC-ing after I had my CHP. Personally I recommend everyone get their CHP since it saves you from some "stupid laws" and potential issues. Others think CHP is unconstitutional and refuse to put their name in a database. To each his own. I figure if my jacket happens to pull out and cover the gun I don't want any legal issues. Also the gun-free-zone is a big area that scares the crap out of me since it is a felony the first offense. The CHP allows you to drive within 1000 feet of any school property while keeping the gun concealed. So an accidental traffic stop doesn't turn into jail time. By reflex I never OC to the airport. I know you can carry outside the buildings but thought inside was a no-no.I guessthe definition of "Terminal building"is unclear in my mind.Last time I went to ORF they stopped my car and looked for bombs.

I also am looking forward to another dinner. Hopefully it will be on a day that I can make it.