• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

apollosmom

imported post

Went back to County Grill in YorktownSaturday afternoon, this time took the wifey (the actual Apollosmom) and the Prancing Colt on my hip. Place was packed, but of course, wait staff was friendly. Nary a gasp, stare or "lookie there" from anyone. Walked along the strip mall afterwards and visited the International Store. If you have a hankering for Russian or Eastern European foods, you'll like it. Store keep was friendly and smiled, guess the adage of an armed society is a polite society really is true. Couldn't leave without splurging on some really, really nice red cavier. It's worth it!

ODA 226

imported post

apollosmom wrote:
Went back to County Grill in YorktownSaturday afternoon, this time took the wifey (the actual Apollosmom) and the Prancing Colt on my hip. Place was packed, but of course, wait staff was friendly. Nary a gasp, stare or "lookie there" from anyone. Walked along the strip mall afterwards and visited the International Store. If you have a hankering for Russian or Eastern European foods, you'll like it. Store keep was friendly and smiled, guess the adage of an armed society is a polite society really is true. Couldn't leave without splurging on some really, really nice red cavier. It's worth it!
My wife is Croatian and we go there all the time, so the Ukranian lady that runs the place is pretty much desensitized to people open carrying.

ODA 226

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
WhirlyGirl wrote:
I also attempted to go into Buffalo Wild Wings (I had a craving for wings), but stopped at the front door when I saw a big sign saying that they ban all firearms there. So, I locked my gun up and went in for some wings and resumed my day.
BWW is a well-known anti-freedom establishment.

You would do well to consider taking your cravings to a more friendly locale.
What Wylde said! +1,000,000

DocDaddy

imported post

OC'ed over the weekend to Wawa on Lynnhaven, Moe's Southwest Grill on Lynnhaven, and then while out riding the crotchrocket and then a group of us stopped in at BWW near Upton and Nimmo Parkway. No issues anywhere.

Pagan

imported post

My wife andI went to Keagan's at Jefferson Commons last night, for my "official" birthday dinner. I was OC with my p-11. Everybody was nice and no stares or reactions of any kind that I noticed.

Hendu024

imported post

I was going about my normal day of OC'ing yesterday, and one of those stops included the Food Lion near my house on Pleasant Valley Road. I've OC'd in there more times than I can remember without any problems ever, from security or customers.

As I was walking in with my girlfriend (who was on my right side, I'm a southpaw) I heard "Hey bro, isn't that supposed to be concealed?" I turned around and there was a guy walking up to me rather quickly. I nudged my girl ahead of me and immediately turned strong side away from the approaching guy. I said "Excuse me?" and he said something along the lines of "your sweatshirt should be covering that, that's illegal". I stated that it in fact was NOT illegal, and any law abiding citizen could carry this way without a permit of any kind. He identified himself (with an ID) as Va. Beach SWAT.

I handed him one of Ed's cards and started the "education". He had no idea that OC was legal, and had quite a few questions about it. To make a relatively long story short, it was a good interaction overall, and he left with a lot of new knowledge. He did initiate the conversation pretty aggressively, and I had to refrain from going into @$$hole mode, but he backed off pretty quickly after I stood my ground. All in all, a good turn out.

t33j

imported post

Nice job Hendu.

I went to Yorktown today in the Colonial National Historic Park to take some pictures. No jacket because of the warm weather, so it was more obvious I was carrying a gun. I walked up and down the waterfront. Park rangers and state police drove by but didn't even slow down. The only looks I got were from a husband and wife who were presumably out of state tourists (identified by bright green ID badges). As they were walking in to Ben and Jerry's they must have looked over at me more than half a dozen times as if they were expecting me to do something. I'm not sure why but I find that kinda funny.

IMG_8446.jpg

wylde007

imported post

I've got two cousins (one VB K-9, the other just made Sgt) who, as recently as last year, tried to tell me that I couldn't open carry in Virginia Beach.

They expressed no understanding of the preemption statute, nor that it had been in effect for many years.

Hendu024

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
I've got two cousins (one VB K-9, the other just made Sgt) who, as recently as last year, tried to tell me that I couldn't open carry in Virginia Beach.

They expressed no understanding of the preemption statute, nor that it had been in effect for many years.
Yeah, at one point in the conversation he mentioned something about the "Beach Law", but didn't really expand on it... That's when I went into the state preemption spiel. I also remember he said that if I OC'd down at the oceanfront, I would get into trouble. :uhoh: I told him I have never had any problems down there, and that the oceanfront isn't outside the realm of preemption.

45acpForMe

imported post

OC-ed to Starbucks off Victory Blvd in Yorktown (near Super K-mart) to continue to thank them for not caving to the anti's.

I got my first "stink-eye" :X reaction in a while from one of the customers. A woman about my age just stood there and stared at me. When I nodded my head to acknowledge her she just continued to scowl and stare. Other guests/customers went about their business without any problem.

DocDaddy

imported post

DrMark wrote:
DocDaddy wrote:
...a group of us stopped in at BWW near Upton and Nimmo Parkway.
Does that location have the typical BWW no guns sign on the front door?

Actuallly, I have no idea, I went in with 4 other riders and we were sitting out in the open around a round table. The service was poor and one of the guys called the manager over to complain and was standing right beside me and then came back with some comp coupons. Not a word. I have visited the one over in Landstown Commons numerous times, no sign and noissues.

Oh ya, that same morning, the girfriend and I took our two dogs for a walk on the boardwalk down at the Ocean Front and had no problems.

VAman49

imported post

OC'd at 3 Amigos on Kiln Creek Pkwy right off of Victory Blvd last night. A few looks but no issues. As far as the food goes, it was ok butwe decided we like Plaza Azteca mexican better.

GQflyboy

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
WhirlyGirl wrote:
I also attempted to go into Buffalo Wild Wings (I had a craving for wings), but stopped at the front door when I saw a big sign saying that they ban all firearms there.  So, I locked my gun up and went in for some wings and resumed my day.
BWW is a well-known anti-freedom establishment.

You would do well to consider taking your cravings to a more friendly locale.
What Wylde said! +1,000,000

I was actually just about to post about this too. I've heard a few things on here about how BW3's is anti, but I never really put 2 and 2 together.

We used to order BW's every Saturday night at work. Well normally we send out the FNG to pick it up. Well about 3 weeks ago now we got a new FNG that didn't know his way around. So I decided to take him down the street to show him were BWs is. And finally it clicked in my head. We were ordering from an anti location every week for years now. It took the HUGE no gun sign on the door for me to realize this. (I'm normally not this oblivious, it's just been a tradition for well over 2 years now.)

So just being chatty I ask the nice lady behind the counter about there no gun policy. She tells "We have that just to deter any... ummm trouble, you know...."

An open carry lecture ensues, politely of course, but touched on dis-arming law abiding citizens, and how what makes a criminal a criminal is that they don't follow the rules. I wrapped it up with, "do you really think a criminal that sees that sign is going to stop at the door, turn around and put his gun in the car, and than proceed to the criminal activity?. Wouldn't you like to have a law abiding citizen who is armed to stand up for you in that circumstance?"

She looked at me like she was going to cry, so I felt kind of bad, and apologized for being so chatty. Her closing remarks were "well it's worked out good for us so far".

For the last 3 week ends, we have been enjoying more gun friendly locations for out late night dinning. Hooters (x2), and Pizza Hut. Both have been gun friendly to me in Civilian Drag, however we didn't have the option to OC, due to the gun ban on base. (that's WHOLE different can of worms).

Our ranting at work about this also got one of our FNGs to OC. I might get him to come to our up coming dinner (and will advise him to eat prior to arrival also)

Alright kind of long, but feels good to get it out.....

45acpForMe

imported post

GQflyboy wrote:
For the last 3 week ends, we have been enjoying more gun friendly locations for out late night dinning. Hooters (x2), and Pizza Hut. Both have been gun friendly to me in Civilian Drag, however we didn't have the option to OC, due to the gun ban on base. (that's WHOLE different can of worms).
[/quote]

Just be aware that some Hooters locations aren't gun friendly. One of our own was asked to leave a peninsula Hooters while dining & OC-ing. When he pressed the issue he found out that their corporate policy is anti and in states that allow CC they post signs disallowing it. I guess we can watch for those signs after July 1. :) I have also heard of some Hooters locations not pressing the issue on some OC-ers. So I guess it boils down to the manager on duty and their views.

The only local wing place I have found on the peninsula that I haven't had any OC issue with is the WingZone on Oyster Point Rd.

WhirlyGirl

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
The only local wing place I have found on the peninsula that I haven't had any OC issue with is the WingZone on Oyster Point Rd.

Well, this stinks to find out that the 2 commercialized wing joints around are anti. Personally, I have other issues about going into Hooters besides the anti-gun issue...I'm not taking 3 young children into a place with a dress code that I'm sure you fellas appreciate...but I cannot as I am teaching my daughter to dress modestly. BUT, that is OT and I'll just leave it at not patronizing either establishment and I'll give that place on Oyster Point Rd a chance to earn my business.

Thanks guys!

45acpForMe

imported post

WhirlyGirl wrote:
45acpForMe wrote:

Well, this stinks to find out that the 2 commercialized wing joints around are anti.  Personally, I have other issues about going into Hooters besides the anti-gun issue...I'm not taking 3 young children into a place with a dress code that I'm sure you fellas appreciate...but I cannot as I am teaching my daughter to dress modestly.  BUT, that is OT and I'll just leave it at not patronizing either establishment and I'll give that place on Oyster Point Rd a chance to earn my business.

Thanks guys!

I am sure there are other restaurants that serve wings that are OC friendly just this is a "wing" specific restaurant I have OC-ed a couple times in. They have Norfolk and VA Beach locations too. The wings are pretty good but not the cheapest around. It has been hard to find good reasonably priced wings since Wings-to-Go closed. http://www.wingzone.com/findlocation.html

WhatTimeIsIt?

imported post

I know I have OC'd to the Hooters on Battlefield in Chesapeake at least twice, once with a friend who was also OC'ing. Must be a loosely enforced policy. :?