• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

paramedic70002

Not sure the name of the place but theres a shopping center across and barely south from Chesapeake General. Between the BK and the McD. Go to the pizza place and get some garlic knits. They are AWESOME. If you're into that.

zoom6zoom

OK, hit the Surf Rider for dinner tonight. OC was a total non issue. I didn't like this location that much; I am familiar with the Marina Shores site. Maybe it's just sitting on the deck looking over the water that makes the food taste better, not sure it was as good at this location. The waitresses were very cute in their short shorts but the service seemed lackluster.

Oh yeah, almost didn't find it. GPS put the address a few hundred yards west along Eden. It's right across the parking lot from Golf HQ and on the opposite end from Best Buy if you're looking.

Last edited:

utyszkij

!!--!! Bank of America VB 1st colonial annndd.. against OC

I don't know the crossroad, it was at the BoA near hilltop off of 1st colonial. I was OC'ing of course when I walked in the armed security guard stepped in my direction immediately and said, " I hope your off duty VBPD." I told him no, I was just going along with what my brothers have fought and died for exercising my right to bear arms. He just kinda looked at me and stepped back. Mind you I was the 3rd person in line. All of a sudden a new teller shows up and says, "sir I can help you here" looking at me. I said, "these two were here before me." To which she said we dont mind helping officers get back to there business as soon as possible, I guess she didnt hear my conversation earlier with the guard. I told her that I wasnt a police officer and didnt need to be one to carry a weapon.

I walk up to her and we start the transaction and this is when she informs me she is the banks manager and asks if I have a gun on my hip. Are you serious? (She just made the assumption I was a LEO) She saw it standing across from me when she called me up she stared at it the entire time its a 5 inch springfield 1911. So I told her yes. She asks if its loaded and I said yes, wouldnt be much point in carrying it if it wasnt. She then asked why I felt it was necessary to carry a gun into a bank and I told her because it was my constitutional right and bank of america wasnt against it. She then says well we dont like it when people that arent wearing badges carry guns into our branch. I told her if BoA changes their policy I would respect it 100% and she says well they arent going to change their policy its just our preference if when you bring it in here you cover it up because if the branch is robbed I could make myself a target to then which I told her covering it up would only hinder my ability to defend myself if needed and that if everyone was legally oc'ing in here I think the robber would turn around and split. She said nothing after that and finished my transaction. I told her have a nice day and was polite as can be.

Im not sure on the laws but I had my digital voice recorder running the entire time and have it saved..

So yea my first negative experience oc'ing sorry for the grammar and what not.

Last edited:

t33j

I don't know the crossroad, it was at the BoA near hilltop off of 1st colonial. I was OC'ing of course when I walked in the armed security guard stepped in my direction immediately and said, " I hope your off duty VBPD." I told him no, I was just going along with what my brothers have fought and died for exercising my right to bear arms. He just kinda looked at me and stepped back. Mind you I was the 3rd person in line. All of a sudden a new teller shows up and says, "sir I can help you here" looking at me. I said, "these two were here before me." To which she said we dont mind helping officers get back to there business as soon as possible, I guess she didnt hear my conversation earlier with the guard. I told her that I wasnt a police officer and didnt need to be one to carry a weapon.

I walk up to her and we start the transaction and this is when she informs me she is the banks manager and asks if I have a gun on my hip. Are you serious? (She just made the assumption I was a LEO) She saw it standing across from me when she called me up she stared at it the entire time its a 5 inch springfield 1911. So I told her yes. She asks if its loaded and I said yes, wouldnt be much point in carrying it if it wasnt. She then asked why I felt it was necessary to carry a gun into a bank and I told her because it was my constitutional right and bank of america wasnt against it. She then says well we dont like it when people that arent wearing badges carry guns into our branch. I told her if BoA changes their policy I would respect it 100% and she says well they arent going to change their policy its just our preference if when you bring it in here you cover it up because if the branch is robbed I could make myself a target to then which I told her covering it up would only hinder my ability to defend myself if needed and that if everyone was legally oc'ing in here I think the robber would turn around and split. She said nothing after that and finished my transaction. I told her have a nice day and was polite as can be.

Im not sure on the laws but I had my digital voice recorder running the entire time and have it saved..

So yea my first negative experience oc'ing sorry for the grammar and what not.

Might be a good idea to send a letter to corporate and the branch with a copy of this ( http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/vadetail.html?RECID=1022854 ) detailing how nobody lost control of their bowels after seeing you armed (if so). IMO sending the recording is unnecessary up front but having a record of what was said so you can write more accurately should be helpful.

CVS, Rite Aid, County Grill, gas stations and such... I don't even keep track any more.

Oh the cashier at Rite Aid said she had a 380 revolver and wanted a CHP. Told her she didn't need one and handed her a card.

45acpForMe

OC-ed to the usual jaunts, Food Lion, Farm Fresh, Kroger, Olive Garden, Exxon.

Got a few looks but nothing unusual. One guy asked me what type of holster I was using but was in the middle of a transaction so didn't get to talk.

My trigger finger is getting itchy again. It's been almost a week since I was able to go to the range and a couple weeks since I found ammo. :-(

Lolcanoe

Shooting in Ogden

Well, after visiting a local range and trying out a Springfield TRP and XDm, I would have to say I'm not really impressed with either. The TRP felt too loose and kind of sloppy, and the XD felt squishy all around. Maybe I've been spoiled with my Kimber, ot it was the fact they were rentals, I dunno. Can't wait to get back to good ole Virginia. Winchester white box was $46 for 100 rounds. ouch. I noticed cheaperthandirt had 200 rounds of .45 acp for $100, with $18 shipping..

45acpForMe

Been OC-ing a bit. Went to pick up my daughters friend and her father asked what I did for a living but never asked specifically about the P220 on my hip. Had dinner with my oldest and her friend at Vinny's no issues other than their eyes were bigger than their stomaches. :) Picked up my youngest from the Y at teen night and her friend, no one said anything about OC-ing while I had to wait for them to call her to the front. Then we went to Farm Fresh around 10:30pm and it was a ghost town except we went to check out and out of no where a lady got in front of us at the only checkout station. :-(

Had to CC at a friends graduation party (at his request because his wife is anti). I offered to take him and his son to LGC rifle range sometime since both of them are interested.

Overall a pretty good day but didn't get to the range. Mike I sent you a PM.

45acpForMe

..... I noticed cheaperthandirt had 200 rounds of .45 acp for $100, with $18 shipping..

I got fed up checking walmart each time I was in the store only to be disappointed so I ordered from wideners which had Blaser Brass available. Many/most sites didn't have 45acp available unless you wanted to pay 2x the cost. With shipping it was more than Walmart but I'll have 1000 rounds to play with for a while. :)

MSC 45ACP

Positive encounter at Wards Corner Wendys

OC'd to Norfolk today to drop oldest daughter off at Grandparents' while she goes to Summer classes at ODU. She's an Engineering major and thinks she can graduate in 4 years if she does the summer school thing... I know most folks take 5 years to get the job done, but she's hardheaded... can't figure where THAT trait comes from. ;-)

She turned 20 yesterday. Hard to believe it was that long ago... I was in the Persian Gulf during Desert Storm when she was born. Seems like only a few years ago. Back then, I was OCing a Beretta 92F (before they started making the FS conversion) in a crummy military M-82 'flap holster' ( now they're called the UM92, I think) or an old tanker's leather shoulder rig when I was working on machine guns. She OC's once in a while, but both my older girls are looking forward to their 21st birthdays when they can get CC permits. They don't like the attention they get when they OC. They're both pretty shy and prefer keeping a 'low profile' rather than "flaunting" our 2A rights. Young adults can be rather difficult to reason with... At least they understand the need to carry.

After dropping oldest daughter off at Grandparents, #2 daughter and I stopped at the Wards Corner Wendy's for lunch. A hispanic male around 20 years old came through the door. The first thing that caught his attention was my daughter's chest. The second thing he saw made him forget about the first... the Kimber on my left side. :-D

Shortly after getting our food, another gentleman came to our table and thanked me for OCing. He was 2A like-minded and very interested in local laws. I started to give him the rundown on state laws and then remembered I had some of ED's CARDS in the car. I gave him a few to share with friends and told him about OCDO.

A good day.

Kevin108

I spent Saturday with the family going to the Portsmouth "First Saturday" events at High Street and visiting the Naval Shipyard Museum and Lightship Portsmouth for their mini "Pirate" festival. I think one of the pirates had his eye on me, but he might just have thought me a rival privateer and wanted to keep his cache for hisself! ARRRR!

We also walked up and down many blocks among vendors and artisans taking in the sights of the festival. We certainly passed a number of Portsmouth police. Never an off-kilter glance or interaction. Just the way it should be. Talked to a friend of my wife's from back in high school who teaches at TCC at the art school. We talked guns for a little bit since he says he is in the studio sometimes until very late and the place is generally unsecured. He has been considering carrying for a while and says that the more he thinks about it the closer he gets.

It was a gorgeous day and nothing out of sorts in the least.

Glad to hear from some else on my side of the water! We lived in Olde Towne for 4 years and are still in Portsmouth.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ocholsteroc

Gun range today, shot 6 rounds of my EDC carry ammo that I have been using for 9 months, no problems.(Got a tip from someone to use 1 or 2 rounds less in your magazines so the spring is not pressed down all the way.) Was testing some 22lr ammo also.

Oh yeah, walmart no problems.

Last edited:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Went to Grafton Food Lion for a few items. No problems as usual. I could be wrong, but I am beginning to suspect many of the staff there know who I am, and just fo about their business. Just like True Value Hardware and Rite Aid.

By the way, i was just reading about the march in Philly a few days ago to protest some absolutely scurrilous behavior on the part of the Philly police toward a harmless OC guy. The whole interaction was captured on audio tape, so I suspect (hope) a lawsuit will be filed. I OC'd in Philly when I visited there 5-6 years ago and had no problem. I guess I was lucky! Whew!

t33j

Dog N Burger (Norfolk), Bobs (Norfolk)
I also did some yard work for the second time for a lady in Norfolk. I was OCing my USP and on neither occasion did she give the slightest hint physically or verbally that she noticed my gun or was opposed to its presence... just how it should be.

An hour or so ago I was sitting outside at LGC enjoying the nice cool night air before shooting and was approached by a plainclothes York County Deputy from across the parking lot who was there to shoot with (I assume) his father. I guess he was suspicious and was wondering what I was up to but he wasn't abrasive at all and didn't pry much :confused: ...whatever First time I've seen a cop car there.

Last edited:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
T33j, the York Co deputies not infrequesntly use LGC. I've seen a bunch there over the years. ( Ask me about the assault shotgun the next time you see me....)