• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

big_bake

MSC 45ACP,

I'm an engineering student at ODU too. If I was gonna make it in 4 years i would have graduated last week. I have another year in it left. The engineering dept is just horrible with scheduling and needing prerequisites. Just draws the process out and costs you more $$$. IMO summer school shouldn't be necessary unless it's a retake or a simple gen ed.

I can side with your daughter on wanting to CC over OC. I rarely OC, and was very happy to get my CHP so I could be more discreet about carrying. There are a lot of younger minds and more of them that have never been exposed to guns going to school here, so being discreet about carrying helps people not shy away from me because I have a gun on my side. Lets people meet me before they get big eyes. Then again I don't want everyone knowing that I carry (ie local criminals). There has been a recent string of armed home invasions (two days ago was my next door neighbor) happening in my block. Needless to say my neighbor sought me out for advice on guns the next day since he knows I love my 2A rights.

2a4all

MSC 45ACP,

I'm an engineering student at ODU too. If I was gonna make it in 4 years i would have graduated last week. I have another year in it left. The engineering dept is just horrible with scheduling and needing prerequisites. Just draws the process out and costs you more $$$. IMO summer school shouldn't be necessary unless it's a retake or a simple gen ed.

I can side with your daughter on wanting to CC over OC. I rarely OC, and was very happy to get my CHP so I could be more discreet about carrying. There are a lot of younger minds and more of them that have never been exposed to guns going to school here, so being discreet about carrying helps people not shy away from me because I have a gun on my side. Lets people meet me before they get big eyes. Then again I don't want everyone knowing that I carry (ie local criminals). There has been a recent string of armed home invasions (two days ago was my next door neighbor) happening in my block. Needless to say my neighbor sought me out for advice on guns the next day since he knows I love my 2A rights.
As it turns out, some of these "home invaders" were themselves ODU students.:eek:

Last edited:

big_bake

I believe those students were involved in the robberies over in The District apartments. Carded door access and security cameras over there. Still not a good situation but it's worse over my way.

It really hits home when your friend and neighbor has the gun drawn on him not even 15 ft from where I type this.

From what he told me:

He saw two men run sharply across my front yard toward his front door. He ran down from his 2nd story bedroom to meet them at the unlocked front door. As he reached the bottom of the steps the door opened as one of the men started to pull a gun out. He punched the intruder and attempted to slam the door, finally securing it shut.

The next part is my roommate, who is a big OC'er, was coming around the corner in his truck to see the two men fleeing. He noticed that something was not right and it was coming from the direction of our house. He then saw my neighbor motioning towards the men running. He slammed his truck in reverse and spun it around, chasing after the guys. They went around to the next street then cut into the some side yards. My roommate then got on foot to chase after, but was deterred by a dog in the back yard they went towards. He believes they went into one of the surrounding houses because they disappeared too fast.

This is all secondhand, so it may not be as accurate as it really happened, but that is the gist of it. I keep my doors and windows locked at all times because of this kind of local crime. Recently it seems they have been targeting unlocked doors or kicking in back doors. I don't answer the door at night without a gun behind the door. I really should get a peephole

tcmech

Camino Real on Indian River (same shopping center as the armory) for dinner with my wife, farm fresh at kempsriver shopping center, and around kempsville on the motorcycle.

The only comment I got was from a guy at the restaurant, he asked if that was a glock or a sig?

ryan7068

First full day of open carry!

Hello all...havn't really been posting on here a lot since i joined but ive been keeping posted on local happenings. Im glad to see 99 percent of you having zero problems in the are. Anyway, I OC'd all day long on thursday for the first time and had no issues. I only noticed one older woman scorning at me but all and all I was very happy with no incident. It is a very good feeling. I enjoy beeing more comfortable with it.

ocholsteroc

Hello all...havn't really been posting on here a lot since i joined but ive been keeping posted on local happenings. Im glad to see 99 percent of you having zero problems in the are. Anyway, I OC'd all day long on thursday for the first time and had no issues. I only noticed one older woman scorning at me but all and all I was very happy with no incident. It is a very good feeling. I enjoy beeing more comfortable with it.

Where did you OC today? I might have been somewhere you might have been today :D

45acpForMe

Welcome and congrats on your first day! The second day is almost as envigorating. :D

Sadly, but for the better it becomes old hat to the point sometimes you will get a question from someone that reminds you that you are carrying.

Be sure to read the laws and send Ed a PM to get some OC info cards. They are great handouts for people that have questions. VCDL is a great organization to join too.

I OC-ed around town a bit, last night to Chili's, Food Lion, Farm Fresh. No problems and a great day to OC.

45acpForMe

Might have been a revolver. :p

Or a taser. :)

Comparing a Glock to a Sig is like comparing a workhorse plowing a field to a thoroughbred running at the Kentucky Derby!

Then again Sig has some box-like guns P250 P290.
I have alot of respect for Glocks and their reliability/low-cost but love my Sig's! :monkey

(how about like a fiberglass stock corvette compaired to a carbon fiber lamborghini?)

2a4all

Or a taser. :)

Comparing a Glock to a Sig is like comparing a workhorse plowing a field to a thoroughbred running at the Kentucky Derby!

Then again Sig has some box-like guns P250 P290.
I have alot of respect for Glocks and their reliability/low-cost but love my Sig's! :monkey

(how about like a fiberglass stock corvette compaired to a carbon fiber lamborghini?)
And if that workhorse happens to be a Clydesdale?

45acpForMe

And if that workhorse happens to be a Clydesdale?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There also is beauty in pure functionality.

Most likely the person that asked if his gun was a Sig or a Glock most likely asked using those two names because they were the only two names he knew. :) I can't believe that knowing about both manufacturers that they would be easily confused unless they were obscured from his view.

Anyway its late and time to take off my OC-ed USP and put it on the night stand. My Sig will be OC-ed tomorrow. :)

wikieod

Went to the Chesapeake Jubilee last night to waste.. I mean spend some money on the kids. I hoped to see others carrying but I didn't see anyone. I walked by many LEO's, nothing but polite nods, and how's it going? Only got one look (that I saw), and it was from an older couple, who pointed, and I heard them saying "Look, he's got a gun". All in all a good evening, just way too crowded after the sun went down.
Been carrying regularly to Wally World, Target, Moe's (great food!!). When I was in Moe's the other day I got a couple looks from a guy sitting in the back of the restaurant. When he walked out, I saw he was OC like I was! Wish I would have said something, but I am a frequent visitor, so maybe I'll see him again. Overall, Chesapeake is a great place to carry.

6L6GC

I've open carried in all the usual haunts. Wally World, Target, Exxon, Starbucks, Food Lion and Farm Fresh, Trader Joes, Home Depot, Chic-Fil-A, Walgreens, Bed Bath & Beyond, Shell, Plaza Azteca, and of course around the house

45acpForMe

I've open carried in all the usual haunts. Wally World, Target, Exxon, Starbucks, Food Lion and Farm Fresh, Trader Joes, Home Depot, Chic-Fil-A, Walgreens, Bed Bath & Beyond, Shell, Plaza Azteca, and of course around the house

Ron, you have a post count of 366!?! I know you to be a strong supporter of 2A and VCDL coordinating gun shows. I guess you are just a man of few words/posts. :)

Ran to Food Lion to get some dinner & lunch making stuff for the week and ran into a guy at the checkout line that said, "You can't have that in here" It was Djeeper and fiancee having some fun. (he said it quietly since he was right behind me in line) We had bumped into each other earlier in one of the aisles a bit earlier.

For those looking for their bridal registry, a compact XDm is a good suggestion!

tcmech

Home depot and farm fresh, had a LEO encounter with one of Virginia Beach's finest outside the farm fresh at the red box. He came up behind me at the machine. I said "hows it going?", he said "fine." I took my movies and my groceries and walked to my car, and he proceeded to rent a movie.

Guess we won't get a 20 page thread going off of that encounter huh?

Forgot to mention I had the glock 17 in a serpa

Last edited: