• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Lolcanoe

I've heard of LGC. I think a guy I work with is a member. It'd be real nice since it's only 10 minutes away from me. Funny thing about the "frangibles" is the last time I bought some from the range, they were the same 45gr. HP's that I just so happen to have. $20 for 20 rounds hurts.

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
Glad to be back in Va!!!

Been Back In Va since Wed afternoon after being overseas for a year. Been OCing since wife picked me up at airport. Oc'd Sams club in Chesapeake that afternoon and to Red Robins no problems. Carried to DMV in Courtland no problems, to Firearms Sales in Ivor to pick up the new goodies i ordered for the kids and me. Fri to Bass Pro, Harbor Freight Tools, Gi Joes on 17, and County line Grill.Didnt have any problems,nor expect any. Did see that the NavyFCU, on Hardy Cash Dr in Hampton is posted with no firearms sign. Spent the day at Williamsburg on Sat. Was at Yorktown NP for awhile to vist my reenactment unit at the living history camp to see about getting back in to the swing of things. Got a few :shocker: from what i am sure were out of town (northern) tourist. Went to the outlet mall (what the hell was i thinking) so my wife could look for something got several:eek: but no comments. Peking for lunch,and all around merchants square no problems there as well. Had no issues on the Ferry ride going or coming.Seems like the security guards were alittle standoff. Oc'd today while planting the food plots for my deer,the Virginia Dinner in Wakefield for dinner,and Foodlion in Windsor No problems there either. Only issue i had was from my Grandmother :banghead: But if you knew her you would understand. So glad to be home:banana:, trying to get back into the swing of things. Any OCDO dinners in the Tidewater are planned for June? Anyone know where i can get some ammo cans? GI Joes didnt have any and i got alot of ammo i ordered that needs storage.

45acpForMe

Any OCDO dinners in the Tidewater are planned for June?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...rill-Hampton-6-8-11-7pm&p=1542488#post1542488

Hopefully you can attend!

It is funny how family can give you sh1t about OC-ing when most of society doesn't. My ex-mother-in-law hates me OC-ing or even owning a gun. She lives in her carefully constructed fantasy world where guns have been banned and humankind breath unicorn farts! ;-)

You just missed a gun show in VA Beach so I don't know when the next one is coming for ammo cans. There hasn't been a show in Hampton for a while and don't know why.

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

The Marksman on Industrial drive has a bunch. About $15 a piece i think

Woah, $15? go to C2 shooting range, its a long drive. About 1 hour from my house. But they are $7.50 each! they are those 50cal cans? big ones, Just about everytime I go I pick up about one, and they have about 20+ in stock always :)

You can fit 7~8 boxes of 12gauge(25round packs!) in them.

Last edited:

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
There's a gun show in Hampton the end of July. I went to the last Richmond show and bought 2 .30 cal. ammo cans in excellent shape. I paid $7.50 a piece. Most of the shows I've been to sell them for $6-8 a piece.

tcmech

Bass Pro shops in Hampton this morning.

I passed a blue chevy S10 just after I came over the James River Bridge with a guns save lives sticker on the rear window. I nodded at the driver and waited to see if he noticed the taurus 92 on my right hip.

In case you are on here I am the guy on the beige kawasaki with the flamed half shell helmet, nice kind of meeting you.

MSC 45ACP

ammo cans

I miss the days of FREE ammo cans. I could bring one or two home once in a while and even give them to friends. You would get in serious trouble if you got caught SELLING them, though... Selling government property is bad juju. Giving it away isn't quite as bad.

I've known some guys that got caught selling ammo cans, ammo and even gun parts. They lost stripes and their freedom for short periods of time. It wasn't worth it. When I see recent lot numbers on ammo cans in surplus stores, I wonder who had the doo-dads to sell them. Possibly they bought them at a government auction (the preferred & honest way of getting them), but I doubt all of them were obtained like that. If you're an Ordie and you are selling ammo cans, you'd better be careful. It isn't worth your stripes. Buyers should get them from a "reputable" dealer and get a receipt. It isn't worth a couple bucks to get it from a guy's tailgate if someone from the 'gooberment' takes it from you and arrests your buddy with the open tailgate.

OC'd on late night walk on the Yorktown waterfront. No problems.

wylde007

I have seen small (thin) one-gun-safes that slide under the seat also.
I use one at home and [infrequently] when I travel.

Gunvault MVB500.

You could also skimp and go with the NV300.

I personally like the biometric access which means I do not have to think about it in the dark in the middle of the night.

sst0185

Oc'd around Reston in Northern VA over the weekend, in the 7-11 on Soapstone Drive in Reston I said hello to two of Fairfax County's finest. They did not say a word about my HK (I think they might have been too busy looking at the Latino tattoo magazines to notice).

Oc'd at Forest Lawn cemetery in Norfolk on Monday to talk to some friends and family. No one noticed.

ocholsteroc

ocho, which A&P Arms did you go to?
Last time I went to the one off Lynnhaven there was a sign that said no loaded guns allowed.
Did you open carry unloaded?

There is more than one A&P arms??????????:uhoh::uhoh: I didn't see that no loaded guns sign. Nor did anyone say anything to me, I didn't have one in the pipe though.

OC'ed to walmart, no one said anything.

Last edited:

ryan7068

EDs OC apparel

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks to ED for the cards, coin, and patches. I turned the coin into a keychain. Pretty simple to drill a small hole through. Anyway, make sure to hit ED up if youre interested guys.

big_bake

Negative OC experience today.

I was going to eat dinner at the Norfolk location of Raising Cane's (http://www.raisingcanes.com/) with my roommate. He was OC'ing and I was CC'ing. Upon entering neither clerk (one male and one female) said anything. I placed my order first, after getting rung up, the male clerk handed me my drink, then turned to my roommate and said "You can't have that in here", pointing towards him. We asked where the sign was saying that he couldn't carry. He said it wasn't allowed. We then told him it was perfectly legal in this state. He then told us it didn't matter and that he wasn't allowed in here with that. Never mentioned "gun" or "firearm", just "that". At this point my roommate was pissed off and decided he didn't want to spend his hard earned money there and left.

Now I frequent this restaurant just about weekly, always CCing. I didn't leave the restaurant, even though I was still carrying. I had never been asked to leave, and wanted my food. What the clerk doesn't know, I'm not gonna inform him.

At this point I would really like to write their corporate office, and go in when I know the manager is there and have a chat with him. With no signs or policies that he could show, one clerk just said he "can't have that in here". The female clerk never chimed in or had anything to say. She was probably as clueless as us on this "policies".

I Know there are a few people down here on the southside, so if you would like to try your hand at OC'ing there to see if the same situation occurs. I believe that this one clerk was acting on his own accord, and this probably doesn't reflect the company. I would send an email from their website, but they require too much personal info. They don't need my number or mailing address to receive an email.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Negative OC experience today.

I was going to eat dinner at the Norfolk location of Raising Cane's (http://www.raisingcanes.com/) with my roommate. He was OC'ing and I was CC'ing. Upon entering neither clerk (one male and one female) said anything. I placed my order first, after getting rung up, the male clerk handed me my drink, then turned to my roommate and said "You can't have that in here", pointing towards him. We asked where the sign was saying that he couldn't carry. He said it wasn't allowed. We then told him it was perfectly legal in this state. He then told us it didn't matter and that he wasn't allowed in here with that. Never mentioned "gun" or "firearm", just "that". At this point my roommate was pissed off and decided he didn't want to spend his hard earned money there and left.

Now I frequent this restaurant just about weekly, always CCing. I didn't leave the restaurant, even though I was still carrying. I had never been asked to leave, and wanted my food. What the clerk doesn't know, I'm not gonna inform him.

At this point I would really like to write their corporate office, and go in when I know the manager is there and have a chat with him. With no signs or policies that he could show, one clerk just said he "can't have that in here". The female clerk never chimed in or had anything to say. She was probably as clueless as us on this "policies".

I Know there are a few people down here on the southside, so if you would like to try your hand at OC'ing there to see if the same situation occurs. I believe that this one clerk was acting on his own accord, and this probably doesn't reflect the company. I would send an email from their website, but they require too much personal info. They don't need my number or mailing address to receive an email.

Never, never ask for a sign. The gentleman that spoke to your friend was at that point the representative of the company and perfectly entitled to ask him to leave. I too will not spend my money when my right to self-defense is abrogated and would not have stayed that night.

Contacting the manager may work out, but if it does not just politely inform him that not only has he lost you as a customer, but all of your friends and acquaintances too.