• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Lolcanoe

The biggest googly eyes from a lady in front of me waiting to check out at Big Bethel Farm Fresh, it was hard holding in the laughter. Either I've got a sexy sidearm, or she thought it was going to bite her or something. Besides that, no issues.

ryan7068

New kid on the block

Respectfully to you sir....i may be new and this is just my thought on the situation:

I recently realized that my afterwork hang out where i grab a beer and a taco is not OC friendly. I even know the owner personally. When he asked me not to Carry period OC or CC one night when grabbing dinner...I said i could appreciate his right to say no and I told him that half of his buisiness from me would go down the drain. PS i only have a beer there right after work while not oc or cc. But i do frequent there. Anyway, sometimes you have to give up what you want for what you feel is truely right or strongly about. Good to hear your account though. Thanx

big_bake

Never, never ask for a sign. The gentleman that spoke to your friend was at that point the representative of the company and perfectly entitled to ask him to leave. I too will not spend my money when my right to self-defense is abrogated and would not have stayed that night.

Contacting the manager may work out, but if it does not just politely inform him that not only has he lost you as a customer, but all of your friends and acquaintances too.

So if the clerk had just felt uncomfortable about my friend OC'ing, he is able to ask him to leave? I still have not sought out the company policies at this point, so I do not want to keep going on my assumptions.

I will continue to do business there because I have never personally had a problem. I like the food and it is within walking distance from my house. Once I see something set in writing I may change my mind on the whole situation.

CovenantTF

Quiet and Loud

I don't post much but I listen often.

Getting dressed means the gun goes on. OC-Keltec PF9, extra mag(I have CHP when req'd)

Everyday, everyway.

Foxhill, King St., Little Back River,ABC, DMV, no problem in Hampton.

7-11, pharmacy, grocery stores, restaurants no problem in Poquoson.

Usual response is -nothing-. LEO: small talk, nothing else.

As it should be.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot
The gentleman that spoke to your friend was at that point the representative of the company and perfectly entitled to ask him to leave.
So if the clerk had just felt uncomfortable about my friend OC'ing, he is able to ask him to leave? I still have not sought out the company policies at this point, so I do not want to keep going on my assumptions.

I will continue to do business there because I have never personally had a problem. I like the food and it is within walking distance from my house. Once I see something set in writing I may change my mind on the whole situation.

Correct.

The "clerk" being a representative of the company, LE could charge someone with Trespass at their direction under those circumstances.

Personally, I would eat sand, before going back w/o getting it resolved.
I really like the home style meals at Cracker Barrel, but we have been told no OC there, even though the mgr. locally does not object personally. With that, Cracker Barrel made my (our) black list.

wylde007

I said i could appreciate his right to say no and I told him that half of his business from me would go down the drain.
So you still plan on patronizing the establishment sometimes?

That does not come off as much of a threat.
PS i only have a beer there right after work while not oc or cc.
Some people here think it is bad form to drink and carry. I am not one of them.
But i do frequent there.
Find a new place to frequent.

45acpForMe

I don't post much but I listen often...... Usual response is -nothing-. LEO: small talk, nothing else.

As it should be.

Welcome CovenantTF! I lurked for about six months before I joined and started posting.

There is an OC dinner next Wednesday if you want to join us. So far it is a small group of 5-6 people. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-Dinner-BD-Mongolian-Grill-Hampton-6-8-11-7pm

I have OC-ed to some of the usual places, Food Lion, Farm Fresh, LGC and the UPS store no issues. An elderly lady at Food Lion (by the tomatoes) stated "You're guarding your gold aren't you!?" I said yes mam and quoted Sir Edmund Burke about all it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing. She and her husband smiled and kept about their business.

ryan7068

I love mexican food!

I absolutely do plan on patronizing there when the opportunity presents itself. While I do agree that it is important to stand my ground when I know I am in the right, I also believe it is important to respect others right to decline your presence due to you carrying a firearm. While I wish it wasn't the case at this particular resteraunt, I have no need and no agenda to push when it is already entirely convenient for me to go there when I am alread disarmed due to my occupation. I go to a college that doesn't allow firearms as well, that doesn't mean I am going to quit going to college or completely strain my finances to go to a different school. Part of talking well is listening well. Just because some find OCing 100% of the time convenient, doesn't mean everyone does. I do what I can, when I can. I hope you can say the same. Thanx : ) It wasn't a threat, It was a fact. When I do drink, I would never carry due to the fact that I love to drink and one is never enough. I hear what your sayin wylde but its not gonna change and I was just tryin to responde to big_bake in how to react to a proprieter in a legal fasion. BTW wylde thanks for the recomendation, i got a Nanovault 200. I just got it via UPS and its solid.

Last edited:

Lincoln7

OC'd to the Greek Festival in Newport News this evening where there were a lot of police officers patrolling the grounds. I was there for about about 15 minutes with my girlfriend in line to get food when a NN police officer (Hodgins, Hodgkins, or something) comes up and quietly says to me 'I know it is your constitutional right to carry a firearm however this is private property and the owner asks that you leave it in your car". I was polite and was dressed professionally, and because my girlfriend was so excited to come here and there was such a strong police presence, I did comply. It was held on church grounds and knew the owners had that right when I entered. I was not very thrilled but, although police have no constitutional obligation to protect me, I remained faithful that, if necessary, they would. Upon my return the same officer thanked me for my cooperation.

Later I OC'd to the Smithfield car cruise in at Charlie Daniels Racing LLC shop in my '73 240z. The cars and weather were beautiful and no one said anything and were all smiles. It was a great turnout.

CovenantTF

Ryan

At least try to persuade the owner to modify his opinion. I understand, I think, with your school restrictions that you aren't usually carrying anyway. Present the owner with hard facts, not news media drivel. It's safer in the establishment if responsible people are armed.
Great to see you here.

CTF

Lolcanoe

WTF man?

Carried to Annas on warwick. I walked inside and a guy at the counter saw my strong side and absolutely wouldn't shut up about it. I just smiled at the cashier the whole time while placing my order and waiting for the food. "Ah what's the world coming to when you gotta carry a gun around? Why is global warming happening? blahblahblah." I get up to grab my order then the guy says "If the guns is leaving, I'm leaving too! blahblahcriedsomemoreblahblah." I get to the door which is about 2 steps away from the register, open it and hold it for him after I step outside. He didn't follow me, and I would have liked for someone to carry my pizza :(

Then I head next door to the comic store, go upstairs, eat and head back downstairs to nose around a bit. I'm looking at a book when another guy comes up and asks "Why are you armed ALL the time?" I asked him why people had smoke alarms. "So when people are sleeping, they can be woken up to get out of the house." I told him it was the same principle, but I'm not asleep. He shook his head and walked off. He comes back by a second later and tells me that a man's most dangerous weapon is between his ears. And I wholeheartedly agreed with him. Then he left.

I guess the moral is to make sure that someone will hold your pizza if they're going to leave with you, and buy smoke alarms that work when you're awake too.

6L6GC

Wounded Warrior Car Show

in addition to all the usual places I carry, I open carried at the Wounded Warrior Car Show at the Pep Boys on Warwick Blvd. in Newport News. I and Mark Spruill ran a VCDL table there at the request of the show's organizer, Mr. J Beebe. We had a great time interacting with the crowd. No issues with the open carry at the event or inside the store.

MSC 45ACP

The biggest googly eyes from a lady in front of me waiting to check out at Big Bethel Farm Fresh, it was hard holding in the laughter. Either I've got a sexy sidearm, or she thought it was going to bite her or something. Besides that, no issues.

I've had people behind me at the grocery store and WalMart actually change lines when they noticed the Kimber on my left hip. I just smile and ask my children "Did I forget to shower today or forget deodorant?"

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
My usual circuit: Grafton Rite Aid (they know me by name there now!), True Value, Radio Shack, SunTrust bank, Food Lion, Roses, LGC. Never any problems. Yawn!

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
Been Ocing alot around Windsor and Suffolk no problems anywhere. Did get a funny look at Firehouse Subs in Suffolk,Guy kinda looked like he may have been an off duty LEO. Girls at great clips liked the idea of OCing when i took my son to get his hair cut. Havent really been out to town much been busy trying to get my food plots for the deer, while it was a little cooler for a few days.