• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by The Airframer

and Walmart on P. Anne looking for some purple camo without luck :lol: .

M&G Surplus, 2609 Granby Street, Norfolk.

Wylde man - buy it all up. You could become the only stocking dealer on the east coast (west coasters don't count - they've already got theirs) Sell on-line, make lots of money, buy lots of guns. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Wylde man - buy it all up. You could become the only stocking dealer on the east coast (west coasters don't count - they've already got theirs) Sell on-line, make lots of money, buy lots of guns. :lol:

Yep! They may become the thing to wear. I had some paisley pants around 67 or 68. I think I had a 31" waist then:uhoh:
Remember the code "Peace, Love & Rock N Roll" (Translation "Beer, Barfights N Wicked Wimmin"!

paisley_tall_01.jpg

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OMG - zee memories.

Had a pair of lime green chinos and a pair of yellow ones, topped 'em with an open collar white shirt and a blue blazer - waz cool.

Sported about Hampton Roads in my hot Pontiac - could do no wrong, although I must have tried. :uhoh:

Rev tone92

OC'd in walmart today as i always do to pick up some dinner and some other small things. Had a bit of a shock when i was approached by someone. (I'm assuming someone who frequents opencarry.org)

I've dealt with the "We don't like that kinda thing here" and the "Why would you need that" and the "Sir could you please leave that in your car" But this is the first time ANYONE has ever thanked me for carrying. I know it was one of you due to the fact that you mentioned opencarry.org and asked if i knew about the drawbacks of my holster :lol: I wanted to say how good it made me feel to know there are people out there that appreciate what it means to have a lawfully armed citizen around.

This was a new one for me. Threw me off guard really. But aside from that OC'd to Rita's outside Chesapeake square mall and OC'd to walmart. No problems. Quite the opposite actually. :cool:

45acpForMe

OC-ed to Atlantic Coast Tumbling for the 3rd of 4 times this week, Anna's in Poquoson, Hair on Fire, Q's bbq pit.

No issues.

I was a bit disappointed in that the people I talked to about Aurora, CO didn't seem to give much if any thought to armed citizenry being the solution to armed criminals. Oh well I continue to try to educate and advocate. :)

MSC 45ACP

LOL - I can't get that image out of my mind. I'd pay for such a picture of Wylde :lol: :lol:Think of the options!

Darn I've missed you folks! That's funny right there.
Travis, those pink camo-pants really go with your blond ponytail.
I'd pay the price of admission to see that!!!
Been to the public library and saw my ol' favorite unarmed security guard.
He was happy to see me and came over to talk.
I thought he was going to ask me to "cover up for the sake of the CHILDREN",
but he didn't. Instead, he was happy to let me know he had bought a Kimber and started OCing himself.
A CONVERT! I got a couple 'double-takes', but no fuzzy eyeballs or hostile looks. A couple kids looked interested
like they wanted to talk, but they had second thoughts when they talked to mom.

The Airframer

OC'd today all the way to a family re-union in Henderson, NC and back, stopping at a quick stop gas station and a mcdonalds between here and there. I went with my brother-in-law to pick up his new Taurus Judge from a nearby store. That thing is pretty sweet, I'd love to squeeze a few .45 long colt rounds and 410 shotgun shells through it.

Got back to VB and OC'd over to little ceasars on Holland and as I was walking out, some older guy told me "you don't need to defend that pizza like that! They have plenty more inside" I smiled and told him "its for the kids!" and walked out. I initially thought he was referring to my solid grip on the pizza box in my efforts to not drop it, on second thought, he was taking a stab at my freedom and I wish I would have said more to him. Wonder what he thought i meant about the kids!:shocker:

Headed over to Food Lion after the Little Ceasars "defensive" situation and had another encounter. As I was heading out by the eggs/cheese isle, some older dude at random speaks to me, "you let me forget the swiss cheese! its a good thing I remembered before I got to the driveway, she woulda killed me! HEY! Why you got a weapon?"

"I don't have a weapon, I have a tool. This is a tool in the hands of a LAC. You calling it a weapon is criminalizing my legal rights." He then went on to profess how he'd like to get his permit to carry but his wife would never condone and how he believes every human deserves the right to defend themselves. I of course informed him of a permit not being needed in VA and referred him to OCDO for legalities and questions and told him to have a nice night.

I don't know about yall but it's bad enough the gubment is constantly trying to take our rights, if my wife tried--she'd find herself lonely in a hurry!
2 encounters in one night! I bet the Colorado massacre and gun law gestapo in the news have the ill-informed public spooled up.

MagiK_SacK

OC'd yesterday and today with my neighbor while on the motorcycles. We went through Chesapeake, Pungo, Portsmouth, and into NC. No issues. Then cashier at a 711 in NC was even happy to see us OC.

The Airframer

OC'd today over to Home Depot on Lynnhaven and to the Walmart across the street without any issues. 2 of VB's finest were congregating out front as I entered, most likely responding to some unarmed shoplifter, they saw me but didn't bother. I did encounter a gentleman in produce at wallyworld OC'ing what appeared to be a 9mm of sorts, didn't get a chance to thank him as we both had our hands full of kids and shopping lists. Hopefully my often OC presence there led to the realization of others that it isn't illegal.

Wanted to OC during my 5 mile run today, just don't have any running shorts with belt loops and I'm not sure how much control i'd have while running--any suggestions?

45acpForMe

<snip> I bet the Colorado massacre and gun law gestapo in the news have the ill-informed public spooled up.

The people I talked to over the last few days vaguely were aware of the massacre and had little to no comment on it. I was a bit surprised and expected both anti and pro sides to make cases but mostly people live their lives oblivious much else. So I was a bit disappointed.

OC-ed to Atlantic Coast Tumbling, Food Lion, Kentucky Fried Chicken, The Surfrider, Kroger, LGC no issues.

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

OC'd today over to Home Depot on Lynnhaven and to the Walmart across the street without any issues. 2 of VB's finest were congregating out front as I entered, most likely responding to some unarmed shoplifter, they saw me but didn't bother. I did encounter a gentleman in produce at wallyworld OC'ing what appeared to be a 9mm of sorts, didn't get a chance to thank him as we both had our hands full of kids and shopping lists. Hopefully my often OC presence there led to the realization of others that it isn't illegal.

Wanted to OC during my 5 mile run today, just don't have any running shorts with belt loops and I'm not sure how much control i'd have while running--any suggestions?

You don't need belt loops, I just put my belt over my jogging shorts/bike shorts.

Also saw OC'er at walmart in Chesapeake. First time I spotted a OC'er I believe. I gave him card and hope he comes to VCDL event in Sep.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The people I talked to over the last few days vaguely were aware of the massacre and had little to no comment on it. I was a bit surprised and expected both anti and pro sides to make cases but mostly people live their lives oblivious much else. So I was a bit disappointed.

OC-ed to Atlantic Coast Tumbling, Food Lion, Kentucky Fried Chicken, The Surfrider, Kroger, LGC no issues.

I think that people have become jaded, immunized, used to it to some degree. It didn't happen to them, not in their backyard, and for that they are relieved. The press/media has over saturated the people's senses and hasn't promoted/endorsed the one satisfactory response - the Boy Scouts know it, we know it = Be Prepared, be forearmed.

The fence-sitters may be slow to respond, but they are getting the message in ever greater numbers each day. Gun sales and applications for permits seem to spike after such tragedies - they just don't write LTE and shout it from the rooftops.

wylde007

Travis, those pink camo-pants really go with your blond ponytail.
I'd pay the price of admission to see that!!!
Aw, shucks. But I don't have the right shoes OR purse.
OC'd today over to Home Depot on Lynnhaven and to the Walmart across the street without any issues.
We must be like two ships passing in the night. I was at the Depot Sunday, plus the Target on Independence and the Care-a-Lot on Indian River, but each trip was super-brief; in-and-out.

GreatDaneMan

Encountered more OCers @ my work at autoz0ne. Called out a CCer...his LCR under his tshirt was holding his shirt out a little to far. "Whatcha carryin?" He looked down and asked how I knew. Takes one to know one I replied. :D

Hadnt OC'd much lately at all. Allthough I might as well have been when I "concealed" my extended mag pt99 to magic_sack's baby shower. :banghead: Twice as hard as a 1911.

sparkman2

When I go out to run some errands, I try to make sure that I am dressed appropriately. Clean pants, shirt tucked in, Kimber Pro TLE on my side. Didn't have any issues until I went to drop the wife's car off for repairs. I noticed that some of the people, mainly customers, would look over at me, stare then go on about their business. I thought to my self, I am doing nothing wrong and people are entitled to their opinions. As time went on I kept getting this feeling that something wasn't right and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Then it hit me...my zipper was down on my pants. I turned around and corrected myself and went on about my business. The details are what get me every time. Way to impress the population huh? True story.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Encountered more OCers @ my work at autoz0ne. Called out a CCer...his LCR under his tshirt was holding his shirt out a little to far. "Whatcha carryin?" He looked down and asked how I knew. Takes one to know one I replied. :D
--snip--

Apply well known rejoinder: "Some people see - others observe" or "It takes one to know one."

Others may apply.

45acpForMe

When I go out to run some errands, I try to make sure that I am dressed appropriately. Clean pants, shirt tucked in, Kimber Pro TLE on my side. Didn't have any issues until I went to drop the wife's car off for repairs. I noticed that some of the people, mainly customers, would look over at me, stare then go on about their business. I thought to my self, I am doing nothing wrong and people are entitled to their opinions. As time went on I kept getting this feeling that something wasn't right and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Then it hit me...my zipper was down on my pants. I turned around and corrected myself and went on about my business. The details are what get me every time. Way to impress the population huh? True story.

In this case, concealment is the better part of discretion. :) :uhoh: It does give more meaning to Open Carry though. :)

MagiK_SacK

Hadnt OC'd much lately at all. Allthough I might as well have been when I "concealed" my extended mag pt99 to magic_sack's baby shower. :banghead: Twice as hard as a 1911.

It's all about the clothing ;)

OCd today to two Walmart's and target. No issues.

CoDash

OC VB Oceanfront

I've been carrying my 9mm SigPro with me, comfortably OCing for a few months now. I frequent the Food Lion at VB Blvd and Birdneck (rough area), the Lowe's at Vb Blvd and Great Neck area, the 7-11 at the 700 Block of VB Blvd (across from the second precinct), and around my apartments on 13th and 14th streets. No major issues. I am very courteous and kind whereever I go. I have been asked if I am a police officer while carrying. I simply reply with a 'no'. I don't want to be cute with the "its lighter than an LEO" or "No, are you a police officer?", I just go about my business, practicing my second amendment right, always smiling. I tried handing out a few of Ed's OC cards in Food Lion and 7-11, but I don't make it a point to push the issue.

I lurk these VA threads, and really appreciate what everyone is contributing here. As a teacher, I have learned a lot about where/when/how to carry legally. I plan on taking my gun with me to school, leaving it in a secure container while on school grounds, then after school continue practicing OC. I have had a few students that have seen me OC in public, again I don't try to push the OC issue on them, but I do let them know that it is perfectly legal for me to do.

I enjoy my right, and OCing has become almost second nature. I feel naked without it. I'm thinking about getting a .45, but I'm not sure what kind. I am looking for something that may be concealed if I wanted. Sig P220 compact?

If you guys/gals have any suggestions on what kind of .45 to try out, or any suggestions on how I should handle people/students that inquire about OC in public I'm all ears.

Thanks,
CoDash

Last edited: