• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

twoskinsonemanns

I'm thinking about getting a .45, but I'm not sure what kind. I am looking for something that may be concealed if I wanted.

I got my eye on the new XDS from Springfield.
It's a very small single stack (read very thin) 45.

I believe it's only 5+1 but for a CC it might be dang near perfect size and obtain that sacred .45

The Airframer

I got my eye on the new XDS from Springfield.

Excellent choice, although I dislike the split trigger safety in the XD series. I shot a Springfield Armory 1911 Trophy Match SS a few weeks back and fell in love with that thing. I'd almost trade my car for one and hitchhike to work everyday. Will be waiting on tax-return time for that new addition to the family.

OC'd yesterday to the 7 11 on Windsor Oaks, Walmart on P. Anne and Ikira Sushi on P. Anne, no issues. Had to actually use my CHP yesterday at the beach and CC in my little dude's diaper bag. I'm not proud of it but i didn't want to get it wet or leave it out. I wanted to go clean the car but it looks like the storm will do it for me.

45acpForMe

<snip> I'm thinking about getting a .45, but I'm not sure what kind. I am looking for something that may be concealed if I wanted. Sig P220 compact?

If you guys/gals have any suggestions on what kind of .45 to try out, or any suggestions on how I should handle people/students that inquire about OC in public I'm all ears.

I have a Sig P220 SAS Gen2 Compact in my pocket right now and it is my usual BUG/CC gun. I like it alot but I usually wear Khaki shorts that have big enough front pocket for it. There doesn't seem to be a pocket holster designed for it like other smaller guns so I found a Wild Bill holster for it that fits my pocket. I also have a Don Hume IWB holster that I use when I wear jeans.

I chose the Sig P220 since I have others and other holsters, magazines etc. The Compact is 6+1 but takes the 8 round mags of a normal P220. So my extra magazine is an 8-rounder. The SAS Gen2 has a nice melt treatment and night sites and the SRT trigger.

If I didn't have the other P220's I probably would have gone with the Kahr P45 or PM45 for size and weight. You might be able to find a propper pocket holster for them too. I prefer the Sig DA/SA trigger over the Kahr long DAO trigger. The Sig does shoot just as accurate and comfortable as the Carry version of the P220. I haven't shot the Kahr's in 45 but have a Kahr mk40 and it has some serious felt recoil. :)

220-Compact-SAS-detail-hero.jpg

The Airframer

OC'd at CarSpa on Northampton Blvd, Walmart on Military, Walmart on Phoenix Drive, and into the Chick-fil-A on Lynnhaven. That place was packed! It's good to see them allow me to exercise our Second Amendment as I supported Their exercise of the First. Great chicken I might add! :banana:

-No issues at any of the places, Walmart on Military has a really nice old lady at the ammo counter that loves to talk your ear off!

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
OC'd at CarSpa on Northampton Blvd, Walmart on Military, Walmart on Phoenix Drive, and into the Chick-fil-A on Lynnhaven. That place was packed! It's good to see them allow me to exercise our Second Amendment as I supported Their exercise of the First. Great chicken I might add! :banana:

Just got back from DC, so I wasn't carrying, but met the family at our local Chick-Fil-A for dinner. Couldn't park in the parking lot because the drive-thru line wrapped around the building, spilling out of their parking lot. Ordering line area was solid people, with the ordering lines spilling back into the dining area. But key to this thread, ran into our own Renegade OC'ing his HK. :cool:

45acpForMe

Just got back from DC, so I wasn't carrying, but met the family at our local Chick-Fil-A for dinner. Couldn't park in the parking lot because the drive-thru line wrapped around the building, spilling out of their parking lot. Ordering line area was solid people, with the ordering lines spilling back into the dining area. But key to this thread, ran into our own Renegade OC'ing his HK. :cool:

I had breakfast and lunch from Chick Filet. Surprisingly ours wasn't that busy but were slow as if it was. :)

wylde007

Encountered more OCers @ my work at autoz0ne. Called out a CCer...his LCR under his tshirt was holding his shirt out a little to far. "Whatcha carryin?" He looked down and asked how I knew. Takes one to know one I replied. :D
I got 'busted' this week in Hatteras.

I was working a mini-festival running sound and by noon I was soaking wet with sweat. I leaned over to plug in a cable for the first act's guitar and he looked at me and said "Packing heat, huh?" I replied "Well, yeah, always. You could tell, huh?"

He said it was hard to miss with the drenched white tee and me bending and leaning so frequently to hook up the gear.

He was the only person who said anything all day though.

The Airframer

hard to miss with the drenched white tee and me bending and leaning so frequently to hook up the gear.

That sucks! Why not carry out loud and not leave any room to question?

OC'd to Grand China Buffet (even though USA is leading in the Olympics), and 7-11 on Windsor Oaks today. No problems, just a little guy-- likely around 3, told his daddy as I sat down from getting another plate at the buffet, "daddy, that boy has a gun". Daddy replied, "That is acceptable, its his right." Go daddy! Get you one!

What a great day in Hampton Roads and great job Gabby Douglas!!!"

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

OC'd to Grand China Buffet (even though USA is leading in the Olympics), and 7-11 on Windsor Oaks today. No problems, just a little guy-- likely around 3, told his daddy as I sat down from getting another plate at the buffet, "daddy, that boy has a gun". Daddy replied, "That is acceptable, its his right." Go daddy! Get you one!

What a great day in Hampton Roads and great job Gabby Douglas!!!"

"Carry out loud" - love it! Sure beats whispering or worse muttering.

Gabby Douglas got it done. Been looking and looking for videos (full version) and can not find - I missed it live. Help - anybody?

wylde007

I covered up in this instance as a courtesy to the event promoter who knows I carry and doesn't care - in fact he fully supports it.

He has never ASKED me to cover, don't get me wrong. I just felt it was the better option in this situation.

And it turns out I should have just carried openly. So, yeah. :cry:

The Airframer

OC'd to the Cheesecake Factory and they are OC friendly. I ate more than I should have too. Some Nancy-looking soccer mom sitting nearby was eyeballing me:shocker: but said nothing.

Just got back from taking my wonderful wife to Applebee's down Lynnhaven and OC'd there without any issues. Sat strong side out and didn't even catch a stink-eye.

Last edited:

RandyVA

If you guys/gals have any suggestions on what kind of .45 to try out, or any suggestions on how I should handle people/students that inquire about OC in public I'm all ears.

Glock 30sf... I carry it everywhere, people typically either really hate it or they really love it. Depends on your preference... you should go to a local range and rent a bunch of 45s and see which one you like best.

Was OC'ing in the greenbrier officemax today and I saw someone else OC'ing, then I realized it was a guy I work with. It was cool. Great minds think alike I guess, lol.

RandyVA

OC'd to the Cheesecake Factory and they are OC friendly. I ate more than I should have too. Some Nancy-looking soccer mom sitting nearby was eyeballing me:shocker: but said nothing.

I've OC'd there a couple of times and I've seen a few other people OC'ing there. Its hard not to eat more than you are supposed to there. Its just so good.

2a4all

Surfrider in Poquoson

Mrs 2a4all & I finally had a chance to followup on 45acpForMe's recommendation and tried this establishment. I was expecting something a bit more like The County Grill, but was pleasantly surprised. The place is really nice, and the food was excellent.

No one seemed to mind (or notice) my sidearm.

Thanks, Jim.

45acpForMe

Mrs 2a4all & I finally had a chance to followup on 45acpForMe's recommendation and tried this establishment. I was expecting something a bit more like The County Grill, but was pleasantly surprised. The place is really nice, and the food was excellent.

No one seemed to mind (or notice) my sidearm.

Thanks, Jim.

No problem. If they were only a little cheaper! I treated myself to a dinner there last week and with tip the bill came to $34 for just me! I will have to restrain myself to their crab cake sandwiches and avoid the dinners in the future. :-(

I took my daughter to Plaza Azteca for lunch today and OC-ed my BUG since my daughter had my keys and was rearing to go in the car before I had properly donned my normal OC gun from the gun cabinet. :) It was a bit weird OC-ing such a small gun but it definitely was lighter on my belt and didn't bump into as many things as usual. :) Once we got home I got my FNP-45 on and we went to Atlantic Coast Tumbling. No issues.

ForceofWill

OC'd on the motorcycle yesterday on a little cruise down to Blue Pete's a little past Pungo. Met the owner several times while there carrying, not even a mention. Great place to eat and carry.

MagiK_SacK

OC'd this weekend to Tautog's near the strip, and while walking down the strip. I normally stay away from the strip but it was the wife and I's anniversary on Friday. Every year we go to Tautog's since that was where we had our reception. No issues that night.

OC'd to Lowes on Saturday and Sunday with no issues.

wylde007

OC'd this weekend to Tautog's near the strip, and while walking down the strip. I normally stay away from the strip but it was the wife and I's anniversary on Friday. Every year we go to Tautog's since that was where we had our reception. No issues that night.
I have been asked to leave Tautog's for OC.

I spoke to the owner (Bill Gambrelle) and he is decidedly AGAINST firearms in his restaurants (he also owns Doc Taylor's next door) and unless he has somehow changed his stance, the reason you didn't have any problems is because they didn't see it.

This I can PERSONALLY guarantee. I was friends with the guy. I will never patronize his restaurants again.