• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have been asked to leave Tautog's for OC.

I spoke to the owner (Bill Gambrelle) and he is decidedly AGAINST firearms in his restaurants (he also owns Doc Taylor's next door) and unless he has somehow changed his stance, the reason you didn't have any problems is because they didn't see it.

This I can PERSONALLY guarantee. I was friends with the guy. I will never patronize his restaurants again.

With friends like that...............:uhoh:

The Airframer

OC'd tonight over to Outback Steakhouse on Laskin, they didn't mind me OCing but the food was less than pleasant. I'd of been happier with McDonald's and saved about 40 bucks at the same time:banghead:

No issues besides a couple of second glances.

GreatDaneMan

2nd time this month I spotted a OC'er. I was in walmart(chesapeake by NC line) longer than I should have, and spotted a OC'er. I told him about the picnic and hope he comes out, nice meeting you!

Ha, I oc'd at the same one today. 11:20ish am. Back of the store. ammo and cat supplies. Talked to the sporting goods man (older guy) about the store setup. He gave me a tour of changes, such as how the ammo cab is walk-up, the shotgun/rifle display rotates for walk ups... i like the layout.

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

Ha, I oc'd at the same one today. 11:20ish am. Back of the store. ammo and cat supplies. Talked to the sporting goods man (older guy) about the store setup. He gave me a tour of changes, such as how the ammo cab is walk-up, the shotgun/rifle display rotates for walk ups... i like the layout.

I wouldn't have met him if I wasn't talking to the store employee for so long. I was there from like 1:50-2:55 shopping for food.

Last edited:

The Airframer

OC'd to the Kemps River Cinema Cafe last night to go see The Campaign which has hilarious!

Saw 2 others OC'ing and asked if Cinema Cafe had ever given them grief over OC'ing there before as it was my first time there OC'ing, one said it was his first time too and his buddy was LEO and said that if they did, he'd just show them his badge and tell them to get over it.

They didn't have a problem with me or them, and thankfully because I refuse to be a fish in a barrel.

45acpForMe

Been OC-ing around a bit. Food Lion, Atlantic Coast Tumbling, Exxon, Plaza Azteca, Peninsula Town Center (Deliahs, Hollister, Bath & Bodyworks, Pink, Q's BBQ). The stores were for my daughter and a friend, Q's was for me. :)

No issues except at ACT last week my daughter started a new class so two parents were a bit surprised to see me OC-ing. They gasped at first but later in conversations about the olympics they seemed friendly.

Zak Kee

Long time no post on here!

I have been watching the forums on my phone but have been so busy with the baby that I haven't posted in probably 5 months or more. OC today, Hampton Target, Lowes, and Chick fil a on Mercury, no problems. THEN, tonight I went up to House of Video on Magruder/Hampton Highway next to Food Lion close to Langley AFB Base Housing, checked the door as always, no sign, went in and was talking to the lady that worked there behind the desk, asking her what good movies have come out and that are worth watching and a man that worked there informed me that I needed to leave immediately. He said, "I know it is your right to carry, but you might scare the children and other guests that may be here." I informed him that there was no sign on the door and asked if it was policy and he just replied something along the lines of I "needed to leave" again. I was very cordial and told him that I will be closing my account after I return the movies that I have out and will no longer be a patron of this establishment and will inform others of my disarming. He didn't have a name tag on and I did not even think to ask it, but would like to write a letter. I looked on their website, listed below and cannot find any information on the carry of firearms. How should I go about wording my letter? What should have I done different? I have never been told to leave before and was kind of caught off guard. Happy to be back on here, still have a lot of catching up to do!

http://houseofvideo.myvideostore.com/content/help/faq.html?client=houseofvideo

Zak

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

but you might scare the children and other guests that may be here
LOL! :cuss: idiots driving big SUV'S or VAN'S in the parking lot @ 30mph and cutting over 5 isles in the parking lot should scare you 100x more than a gun legally holstered.

Don't forget we are having a picnic in Sep 15 you should check out the sticky at the top of this forum

Last edited:

45acpForMe

I have been watching the forums on my phone but have been so busy with the baby that I haven't posted in probably 5 months or more. OC today, Hampton Target, Lowes, and Chick fil a on Mercury, no problems. THEN, tonight I went up to House of Video on Magruder/Hampton Highway next to Food Lion close to Langley AFB Base Housing, checked the door as always, no sign, went in and was talking to the lady that worked there behind the desk, asking her what good movies have come out and that are worth watching and a man that worked there informed me that I needed to leave immediately. He said, "I know it is your right to carry, but you might scare the children and other guests that may be here." I informed him that there was no sign on the door and asked if it was policy and he just replied something along the lines of I "needed to leave" again. I was very cordial and told him that I will be closing my account after I return the movies that I have out and will no longer be a patron of this establishment and will inform others of my disarming. He didn't have a name tag on and I did not even think to ask it, but would like to write a letter. I looked on their website, listed below and cannot find any information on the carry of firearms. How should I go about wording my letter? What should have I done different? I have never been told to leave before and was kind of caught off guard. Happy to be back on here, still have a lot of catching up to do!

Zak

We tend not to mention the lack of a sign at the door because next time you go there may very well be one. I know how it is to be caught off guard and have been in that store (briefly) without a problem. I would have asked if he was the manager or ask to speak to the manager. If he said that he was the manager I would have taken his name down so I could contact corporate with it. If he wasn't the manager I would have resisted his request to leave until he got the manager. It is such a small store that there might not have been a manager on duty so he may be the only authority. Write a letter to corporate and briefly describe your encounter asking what corporate policy is for the legally allowed carry of firearms. With luck they will say he had no authority to ask you to leave and will be "trained" in their policy correctly. If it goes like Quaker Steak and Lube the local business can define local policy and we are screwed.

I am flabbergasted that more businesses think creating a gun free zone somehow makes them safe! Scaring children and other customers is such a lame excuse seeing that we carry at McDonalds no problem and the kiddies with their happy meals don't go screaming out of the place. I ate lunch at taco bell this afternoon and a small girl that was around 7 years old got big eyes once she spotted my gun. I heard her mention something to her mom who simply either ignored me or told her that it was ok. Children will take their lead from their parent on how they react and decide whether it is safe or not. I wish I was a member so I could quit. :) I still miss QS&L chicken wings though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Zak

First and foremost, never imply the need for a sign.

Might have been good to ask him if he was an employee. Their records should be able to provide his name from those scheduled to work.

Zak Kee

First and foremost, never imply the need for a sign.

Might have been good to ask him if he was an employee. Their records should be able to provide his name from those scheduled to work.

He was putting movies up on the shelves, so I assume he was an employee. About the sign, I always see on these forums when something like this happens how we should never mention a sign, however, I was caught so off guard after talking to the other employee that I misspoke. Won't happen again though! Promise!]

Zak

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
He was putting movies up on the shelves, so I assume he was an employee. About the sign, I always see on these forums when something like this happens how we should never mention a sign, however, I was caught so off guard after talking to the other employee that I misspoke. Won't happen again though! Promise!]

Zak

Practice makes perfect - not a problem, we all live and learn.

That letter to corporate would be a good thing though.

45acpForMe

One other thing Zak Kee, when you return your other movies I would ask to speak with a manager. Hopefully it isn't the guy that asked you to leave. If it is someone different you can ask them about their policy.

Corporate would be the next step but we can always hope to solve it quickly and locally.

Zak Kee

One other thing Zak Kee, when you return your other movies I would ask to speak with a manager. Hopefully it isn't the guy that asked you to leave. If it is someone different you can ask them about their policy.

Corporate would be the next step but we can always hope to solve it quickly and locally.

Would you go in disarmed to speak with the manager? Because I would like to do so, especially being told "I know it is your right"...

45acpForMe

Would you go in disarmed to speak with the manager? Because I would like to do so, especially being told "I know it is your right"...

I wouldn't disarm. I don't think they could charge you with tresspassing unless you refused to leave assuming they asked you to leave again. Of course I am no lawyer! Either way (armed or not) hopefully you can find out the store policy.

When I went into QS&L I had my sidearm on and talked to the manager on duty for about 10 minutes.