• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

The Airframer

OC'd today over to Great Clips on VB Boulevard to get my mop chopped, over to Walmart on Phoenix Drive and then over to Home Depot on Lynnhaven for some weedeater strang.

No problems at any of the places, no one seemed to notice.

GreatDaneMan

OC'd 3 handguns concealed 1(too small for holster), and had a pistol grip tactical shotgun on my back.

Superior pawn & gun (the old A&P)... interesting range, very different from the original superior.

And OC'd Target @ Princess anne with my friend that open carried for his first time. He forgot he had it outside his shirt until his hand bumped it. Hes been concealing for the last few years.

Edit:
Found a guy outside gun range sporting a p226 OC. Talked to him about his lowrider fleetwood and mentioned he should come up here, he OC's everywhere and he got 3 handguns in one month when he turned 21 thanks to everyone effort in January.

Last edited:

The Airframer

OC'd 3 handguns concealed 1(too small for holster), and had a pistol grip tactical shotgun on my back.

Superior pawn & gun (the old A&P)... interesting range, very different from the original superior.

And OC'd Target

Bet you got some funny looks @ Target with 3 OC's and a shotgun on your back! LOL!

I'm so glad the new Superior G&R doesn't have that stupid "NO LOADED FIREARMS" sign!

GreatDaneMan

Bet you got some funny looks @ Target with 3 OC's and a shotgun on your back! LOL!

I'm so glad the new Superior G&R doesn't have that stupid "NO LOADED FIREARMS" sign!

Oh, the shotgun was hidden in the trunk at target and while on the road. Lots of smugglers holds in my car. Allthough the holster for that shotgun i can actually put on my hip on belt, back, leg, mount in car etc. Its pretty slick.

Stopped for a stranded motorist tonight. Guy and his 2 young kids. Had the 9mm on my side..he was pushing his car and his kid steering. Gave him a jumpstart and since i was driving the mobile tool shed i checked his voltages running/idle/3krpm/rest and diagnosed it as charging problem, checked his fuses and links and confirmed the alt was bad. Offered to replace it for 260 when shop is gonna charge 650.

Last edited:

The Airframer

Oh, the shotgun was hidden in the trunk at target and while on the road. Lots of smugglers holds in my car. Allthough the holster for that shotgun i can actually put on my hip on belt, back, leg, mount in car etc. Its pretty slick.

Stopped for a stranded motorist tonight. Guy and his 2 young kids. Had the 9mm on my side..he was pushing his car and his kid steering. Gave him a jumpstart and since i was driving the mobile tool shed i checked his voltages running/idle/3krpm/rest and diagnosed it as charging problem, checked his fuses and links and confirmed the alt was bad. Offered to replace it for 260 when shop is gonna charge 650.

MWAHAHAH!

Glad the shotty didn't accompany you. I completely support OC but discourage over-doing it!

I help stranded folks provided i have the time and I am OC'ing. Good on you and I am sure the favor will come back to you in time.

Attachments

• holster2.jpg
    holster2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 121

Zak Kee

I help stranded folks provided i have the time and I am OC'ing.

Same here, I definitely do not stop unless I am carrying. Too many crazy people out here in Hampton Roads!

On another note, bout to go up to the House of Video here next to Langley Base Housing and talk to the manager about the rights that they do allow in the store. Hopefully he lets me use my first amendment rights! I got the sick kid with me today, so my ole kid (1911) on one hip and my six month old on my other! I will let y'all know how it goes! Wish me luck.

Zak Kee

Well, went into House of Video to talk to the manager about their firearm policy and what do you know... it's the same guy that removed me from the store the other night. I got it all on my handy recorder just in case he went south about it. Right off the bat I asked to speak to the manager on duty and he said it was he. I asked what corporate policy was on firearms in the store and he said he could find out. He then stepped around from behind the counter and noticed my firearm and said "you even have the hammer back." I replied that it is not a wrench, I do not have the intentions of throwing it at someone. He then said that people are already dying in movie theaters and he doesn't need it in his store too. Before I could reply, he told me to get out. I tried to get his name and he said get out again, in which I told him that's fine I will be calling corporate. After I stepped out, I called the store asking for his name and he said "is this mister gun?" I laughed and said, "well yes it is, or Mr. Kee." I asked him again for his name, which is, Boaz Butcher, I asked him how to spell his first name and he kept replying how it sounded till he finally spelled it out. He informed me that he would never like me back in the store and I told him that is fine, I will frequent another competing establishment. I called the head office and it was just a voicemail that I had to leave my message on. I left a message and told them I would like to speak to someone about me being removed from one of their stores today for following the law and I would like to speak to someone about that matter. He kept referring to me as "young man" while on the phone which kept getting irritating.

If anyone else would like to visit the store, or not :D, here is the info!

House Of Video (Yorktown)
2900 Hampton Highway, Unit I
Yorktown, VA 23693
Telephone: 757-867-8266
Hours: Open 11am-10pm Sun - Thurs, 10am-11pm Fri & Sat

**UPDATES***

My wife, who is active duty Navy out of Oceana, and of course Pro 2A, stopped by the same video store in uniform to rent a movie and attempt to get the head of this areas name and phone number to complain to. Upon entering the store and seeing what movies came out the week she was asked by an employee, "excuse me ma'am, I don't mean to pry but does your husband have an open carry permit." She replied, "in Virginia you do not need a permit to open carry anywhere that does not have it posted on the door, just to conceal, which he does have." (She was in uniform, right out of work, with no firearm on her.) He said, "ok, your Samantha?" and she replied "yes" and the employee walked back to the back room and got the manager in which I had the altercation with. The manager came out of the back room and looked at my wife and then walked back into the room and grabbed the register drawer with money and walked back to the front to put in the register. The manager, without saying anything else, said to my wife, "if he comes back in here he is going to be arrested, we called the sheriffs office." He continued, with something along the lines of 'common sense dictates that you don't come back into the store you were kicked out of before.' After that he continued about how common sense says that you shouldn't have your gun on you with a baby, my wife replied with a "so my baby does not deserve protection?" He told my wife that if I come back in here again that she will be banned from the store as well. She asked how she would be banned from me being there and he told her that since we are both on the same account. She told him that he (I) am being punished for exercising his constitutional rights, and was cut off by the manager who said "don't talk to me about constitutional rights, I went to high school too." My wife of course laid into him about insulting her intelligence when she protects his freedoms and has completed college, not just high school." He then said that he called the sheriffs office and that all they said he has to do is put a sign on the door to keep people like me from coming in. He did in fact put a printed out sign on the door. He has a restriction on my account to where I can't check anything out apparently and would not allow my wife to check anything out under our joint account and would only let her check out a movie under a guest type account in which we could only check out for a day at a time. My wife questioned his authority with the company and asked if the owner knows he is restricting people from coming in the store.

My question is, since there are other stores operating under the same name, will it be trespassing if I go into a different store after being banned from one? Because he said, "I don't want you back in this store." Does that mean all? And does he have that power? Might be a question for User...

Sorry this was so long, but wanted y'all to have all the details, not just sketchy information that is usually questionable from some new members here on their experiences.

-ZAK

Last edited:

The Airframer

OC'd throughout my entire wild goose chase for weedeater starter parts to Home Depot & walmart on lynnhaven, Sears on Independence, Taylor's Hardware on Lynnhaven Drive that referred me to Aldridge and Chambers (closed by the time i got there).

Didn't have any problems any of the locations except not finding my daggum parts:banghead:! Looks like I'll have to resort to the amazon/online wait.

sparkman2

OC'd throughout my entire wild goose chase for weedeater starter parts to Home Depot & walmart on lynnhaven, Sears on Independence, Taylor's Hardware on Lynnhaven Drive that referred me to Aldridge and Chambers (closed by the time i got there).

Didn't have any problems any of the locations except not finding my daggum parts:banghead:! Looks like I'll have to resort to the amazon/online wait.

Looks like it is time for a STIHL!!!
Locally made...world renowned.

Last edited:

The Airframer

Looks like it is time for a STIHL!!!
Locally made...world renowned.

Hindsight is 20/20! If I knew that when I needed a weedeater when I got orders here, I would've spent the little extra to buy American (and local) equipment! You best believe that when my Poulan is on its last leg, I will invest in one!

Oc'd yesterday over to Aldridge and Chambers in search of my treasured starter assembly, CPU said "we got it" lady came back from the back with a sob story. She saw my OC and didn't think twice or mention it, almost like it was expected and as normal as those big ugly smart phones so many sheeple holster. She referred me to the Sears service center on Witchduck, OC'd there and got some ugly looks but no encounters. No luck finding it there either. "We can order it for you (for $10 more than you can order it yourself) plus $8 S&H... Thanks, but No thanks.

Ordered online, will see it tomorrow hopefully. I'm just worried about what or who I may find once I do clear cut the jungle in my backyard:uhoh:.

45acpForMe

<snip> My wife questioned his authority with the company and asked if the owner knows he is restricting people from coming in the store.

My question is, since there are other stores operating under the same name, will it be trespassing if I go into a different store after being banned from one? Because he said, "I don't want you back in this store." Does that mean all? And does he have that power? Might be a question for User...

Sorry this was so long, but wanted y'all to have all the details, not just sketchy information that is usually questionable from some new members here on their experiences.

-ZAK

I went to their website and sent an email via their "contact us" website.

On this page it lists a different manager for that store and has the district manager listed too:

House Of Video (Yorktown) 2900 Hampton Hwy, Unit I Yorktown, Va, 23693 Manager: Sherrita Powell (757)867-8266

http://houseofvideo.com/important numbers.htm

District manager Renate Griffin Customers Fast Response Hotline 1-877-554-0139 Toll Free/Fax

I am not sure how they would handle other locations but I would never (will never) give that store business before they reverse the store policy and reprimand that manager. You might contact the district manager and explain your encounter emphasizing how rude the manager was.

If they allow independant stores to decide their policy you can choose to investigate other stores. If all stores are anti I wouldn't give them any business and would switch to Netflix or Redbox.

ETA: OC-ed yesterday to Vinny's, China Ocean, Royal Farms, Farm Fresh and a few days ago Olive Garden.

Last edited:

nilla

Zak,
why are you insisting on giving this business your money?
is it cheaper than redbox/blockbuster or netflix/hulu?
or do you really enjoy thier selection?

it sounds to me that you have been warned against returning (at least arnmed), and they don't want your business.
you can present your opinions and views to them, but you can't force it upon them and make them see your side and agree with you.

please make an effort show them how respectable and respectful you and the rest of us OC'ers are.
at most i'd mail them recipts from thier competition, to show them how much of your money they are missing out on.

45acpForMe

I got a response from the web contact site and they simply replied, "No guns, just like a bank."

I replied:

Suntrust welcomes law abiding carry of firearms. Funny, they don't get robbed as much as the firearm free banks.

In a time of economic challenges I am not sure why you want to turn away business from law abiding paying customers.

So I wouldn't give them any (more) business.

Nilla, he was trying to find out if it was a corporate policy or if that manager was simply anti. Sometimes employees spout off non-existent policies only to be found out after researching the issue and pushing it up the chain. Since my email was from their corporate website I think it is fair to say they don't deserve our business.

IOP

oced to BJs & taco bell on va beach blvd then to fish safari on lynnhaven pkwy to get my birthday present a new frontier armory lower. it was only $15 ffl transfer fee now i just need to get an upper.

Justine

OC Today in Norfolk and Virginia Beach

OC in Norfolk at Mongolian Bar-B-Q off of N. Military Highway with no problem, stopped at GI Joe's down the street to pick up a new knife, and stopped off at Napa Auto Parts store off Holland Road in Virginia Beach on my way home with no problems from owners or customers in any establishment.

Regum

OC'd at today's Out in the Park Event in Norfolk at Town Point Park. Got to do a little edumacating to a few interested individuals; and the local LE, of which there were many, made no comments and were very polite in general. No issues, the whole day. Fun event.

~Ultima Ratio Regum

ocholsteroc

OC in Norfolk at Mongolian Bar-B-Q off of N. Military Highway with no problem, stopped at GI Joe's down the street to pick up a new knife, and stopped off at Napa Auto Parts store off Holland Road in Virginia Beach on my way home with no problems from owners or customers in any establishment.

When I read the line "Napa Auto Parts" I literally thought it said Ninja Auto Parts..

Welcome, also we are having a dinner very soon. Magic is supposed to make one at hoosters or something soon IIRC. Please join us when we do have a dinner.

The Airframer

OC'd over to Autozone on Indian River last night to pick up an alternator for my neighbor, and to walmart just now.

No issues at either place, although, while waiting in check-out, I did see a dude wearing this shirt that grabbed my attention-- it had a white background with a pattern throughout the entirety that consisted of AK's, AR's, pistols, knives, grenades, and brass knuckles, but this dude wasn't OCing anything, not even an iphone. I really wanted to ask him that if he really wanted to make a fashion statement, why not OC something like this instead of wearing that stupid ugly shirt around:question: I suppose my manners wouldn't allow me.

45acpForMe

OC-ed to Plaza Azteca in Grafton for lunch with my daughter. We have been there several times before but got several looks from a bus boy.

OC-ed to Poppeye's for dinner (yes my stomache is going to regret today) with no issues.

OC-ed to drop off and pick up my daughter from a back yard party. No problems from the owner who is going shooting with me tomorrow but I always wonder what the Mom's and other kiddies think. :) Hopefully it will make them think.

OC-ed to Atlantic Coast Tumbling no issues.

The other day around dusk, a neighbor stopped me before I went into my house after getting home. He wanted to talk about Aurora Colorado and his frustration with people pushing gun control (the bad kind, not "use both hands"). It was refreshing to talk (in person) to someone that had similar views to people here online about that incident since most I tried to talk with were oblivious right after it happened. We chatted for a while and I answered a few of his gun questions then gave him one of Ed's cards to point him here and to VCDL. It was a great discussion although standing in grass the whole time my legs got chewed up from all the bugs!

The Airframer

Postive Encounter

OC'd today to the Grand China Buffet on N Battlefield for lunch with my wife and kids then over to the nearby walmart a few blocks away for some back to school/hunting season supplies. We enjoyed our meal and once I paid at the counter, some man called me out, "Excuse me". I turned and he immediately introduced himself as David and thanked me for exercising our Second Amendment. I told him my name, shook his hand, thanked him for his appreciation, and concluded the conversation by referring him to OCDO for all the details of OC since he seemed interested. He had never heard of OCDO. Hope to see you carrying David!

While at the nearby Walmart afterwards, I passed by the ammo counter with my wife trailing me with the kids. After my passing, my wife overheard some man getting keys cut say to his buddy: "I guess its OK to make a fashion statement at Walmart these days." Well key guy-- you are right and that fashion statement is clear: ITS PERFECTLY LEGAL TO OC IN VA. All you had to do was ask.