• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

wylde007

I can only recommend to stay AWAY from Wing King. "Mediocre" would be a compliment.

A.J. Gators has good wings and last I checked were carry-friendly (or at least carry-ambivalent, which is still a win in my book).

scouser

Yeah, first name is fine. OCed in Olive Garden (military and VA BCH BLVD) and Target (Military HWY) with no issues tonight. Good point about the time, carry condition 1 at work, so its not a comfort issue, just a "I have my kids with me issue," but then i guess thats more of a reason to carry with one in the chamber, right :D.

Definitely !

Whenever I take my 2 year old son out anywhere I'm carrying loaded (ie, if I point the gun and pull the trigger it goes bang). Sometimes I'll OC, sometimes I'll CC, sometimes I'll do both at the same time, it all depends on how I feel, what I'm wearing and where I'm going. But I'll always carry in a condition that makes the tool I'm wearing a firearm and not just a club.

We all hope we never have to use that tool, but wouldn't you rather be ready to protect your kids than have to fumble around loading first? I'm sure you know the answer, one day your kids might just have to thank you for being ready.

45acpForMe

Yeah, first name is fine. OCed in Olive Garden (military and VA BCH BLVD) and Target (Military HWY) with no issues tonight. Good point about the time, carry condition 1 at work, so its not a comfort issue, just a "I have my kids with me issue," but then i guess thats more of a reason to carry with one in the chamber, right :D.

In a real life threatening situation your hands will be busy pushing/pulling/carrying your children to safety at the same time you will be trying to draw your gun. You will not have time nor free hands to rack your slide. I was guilty of leaving the chamber empty for a week or two when I first started carrying but modern firearms have safeties (internal and external) that will protect from an unintended discharge. A propper holster and safety practices are required and your brain is the biggest safety. I would recommend a retention holster too which stops children and/or bad guys from grabbing your gun. If you get knocked down you want your gun to be on you not sliding away from you on the ground or worse in the hands of your attacker.

45acpForMe

So I don't have time to read the ENTIRE thread, but has anyone had experience OCing at Macarthur Mall in Norfolk?

I haven't carried there but remember several other members OC-ing there.

It is one of the few malls that people have OC-ed and I have seen few if any requests to leave the mall. So they could ask you to leave and if they do ask you to leave, simply leave and don't ask where is the sign that says you can't OC.

Last edited:

Esanders2008

I haven't carried there but remember several other members OC-ing there.

It is one of the few malls that people have OC-ed and I have seen few if any requests to leave the mall. So they could ask you to leave and if they do ask you to leave, simply leave and don't ask where is the sign that says you can't OC.

Yeah I feel it is always best to comply with those requests. ;) I just wish I could make people understand that creating these well-defined unarmed victim zones isn't the best course of action.

GreatDaneMan

OC here/there lots of gas stations buying beer(car repair fuel!). OC'd three mobile car repairs this week. One customer/new friend is former marine/leo . Spent 10 minutes fixing his car and two hours shooting the sh**...well...not literally. Told him about this site and VCDL...seemed very interested, gave him User's card too.

Almost OC'ed into my work by accident, lol.

Anyway....off to my vacation. Ill be Ocing Richmond, Gordonsville, Harrisonburg, Cass WV, Seneca WV..

Last edited:

Justine

OC while grocery shopping at Farm Fresh off Holland Road without any issues, as well as Wal Mart off Lynnhaven and Sabre Road. Saw a No Guns sign at the Navy Federal off Sabre and Lynnhaven, so I went through the drive through teller.

Lately I've been OC everywhere except work, school, and if I need to go on a military base for anything, and so far, I've had no issues. :D

Esanders2008

OC'd yesterday at the Battlefield Blvd Walmart and the Indian River Rd Starbucks. No problems in either. A little old lady did give me an approving look in WM though :D

45acpForMe

OC-ed to Japan Samurai yesterday for lunch and had a "gun" conversation with the owners son (our waiter). He had shot some in the past and was interested in getting a pistol (Glock) so I suggested he rent a few at the Marksman and see which felt better in his hand.

OC-ed in Food Lion yesterday and heard comments from three different groups in the store while shopping. I heard the word gun in all of them but couldn't make out much more except for one that a husband responded to his wife, "...and if you bother him he will shoot you with it too!" No one went running away in fear although an elderly man (part of a couple) stopped shopping and kept a close eye on me until I passed him and went down a new aisle.

OC-ed to Chili's last night for dinner (yes I am eating out alot) and had no issues.

Esanders2008

SNIP "...and if you bother him he will shoot you with it too!" No one went running away in fear although an elderly man (part of a couple) stopped shopping and kept a close eye on me until I passed him and went down a new aisle.

OC-ed to Chili's last night for dinner (yes I am eating out alot) and had no issues.

1: :banghead::banghead::banghead:

2: I'm glad Chili's is OC friendly; I like to eat there too!

wylde007

I OC'ed while running sound at 24th Street Park last night. Had a couple of fellows stop and tell me they admired my sidearm. One of the members of the band and his father and I talked guns and motorcycles for a bit.

Lots of families with children. Lots of young couples just "hanging out". The only time I saw the police was when I was loading in and then when I went to Wawa on the Blvd (next to Lowe's) for an after-show hoagie. Three of them were in there chatting and sipping coffee. We exchanged nods and that was the extent of the interaction... just the way it should be.

Epicyon

Hey everyone.

I know I don't post here really at all, but I am active locally with the VCDL and I've met several of the members from here at shows and the picnics.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up about the Autozone on 17 next to WaWa over in the Yorktown/Grafton area. A friend of mine works there and I told him that I would be in today to pick a few things up. As soon as I came through the door my friend and the manager started asking me about my gun and if I was carrying.

The first thing he said when I walked in was, " Hey man, she's going to call the cops on you."

I figured he was joking around, so I said, "Sure. Call them." At this point, I had no idea why she would be calling the police. Well, he apparently told her that I carry a gun, knowing their store policy.

She told me, "We've had a problem with people who come in here carrying guns and robbing the store, so we've been asking them to go put them in their cars."

I didn't have my gun on me today, and I went ahead just got what I needed and left. I decided to not say anything at the time or cause a scene because I didn't want to potentially cost my friend his job.

I'm pretty sure that Autozone's corporate policy is that they follow whatever the state law is. I'm going to make contact with them at the corporate level and then contact the local manager. I'm believe the lady I was speaking to was an assistant manager.

Aside from the fact that I apparently have a friend telling people my private business, and that needs to be addressed, there are a couple of other things I don't like about this. It seems to me that the lady I spoke to, thinks that all people with firearms are criminals and that's just not O.K. Since they have this policy in place they apparently also think that someone who is coming to rob them will just say, " Well gee, I didn't know your store policy. I'll take my gun and rob someone else." Of course they are a private business and they can do what they want, but there are some facts I feel like they are lacking.

I'll let you guys know what I find out and if anything comes of this. In the mean time, I wanted to let you know that you may want to skip this place for now, unless you want an argument.

- Daniel

paramedic70002

Epicyon, your story about that manager made my head hurt!

Apparently she believes that gun in holster = gun in hand?

I think I would have asked her if any or all those robberies involved holstered guns, and/or why the employees just didn't tell the robbers that guns were not allowed in the store like SHE was telling YOU. Perhaps employees are actually able to tell the difference between an armed robber and a law abiding citizen after all? :shocker:

45acpForMe

OC-ed to the Olive Garden last night for a long 45 minute wait for a table. The waitress was good and we got our food quickly though so it evened out a bit.

OC-ed to Subway today and will be stocking up on school lunch supplies later at Farm Fresh and Food Lion. :)