• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Esanders2008

Instead of no issues I think you meant to say 'didn't get caught' lol.

Nope. I have OC'd both places and every times have been seen (read: passed directly by and made eye contact with) by security. They say nothing. Well that isn't entirely true. One security guard complimented my Glock. ;)

It seems to be my understanding that Lynnhaven has a No Guns Allowed sign on some of their main doors? I just go in through a department store :D :banana::banana: I see no signs there!

And Greenbrier mall... Definitely no problems for me there.

YMMV

-Eddy

MagiK_SacK

Nope. I have OC'd both places and every times have been seen (read: passed directly by and made eye contact with) by security. They say nothing. Well that isn't entirely true. One security guard complimented my Glock. ;)

It seems to be my understanding that Lynnhaven has a No Guns Allowed sign on some of their main doors? I just go in through a department store :D :banana::banana: I see no signs there!

And Greenbrier mall... Definitely no problems for me there.

YMMV

-Eddy

http://www.greenbriermall.com/shop/greenbrier.nsf/codeofconduct

...snip...
"20. Carrying or displaying weapons of any kind except those carried by certified law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties."

I can't seem to find a cite for Lynnhaven Mall, but I know it is posted on the main doors. Just because it's not on the doors of the anchor stores does not make it a "loop hole". One or two security guards not recognizing the rules also does not mean it's not a rule.

Do what you want, it's your choice to make and I'm not trying to change that. I'm just saying be prepared to be asked to leave at some point.

Esanders2008

http://www.greenbriermall.com/shop/greenbrier.nsf/codeofconduct

...snip...
"20. Carrying or displaying weapons of any kind except those carried by certified law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties."

I can't seem to find a cite for Lynnhaven Mall, but I know it is posted on the main doors. Just because it's not on the doors of the anchor stores does not make it a "loop hole". One or two security guards not recognizing the rules also does not mean it's not a rule.

Do what you want, it's your choice to make and I'm not trying to change that. I'm just saying be prepared to be asked to leave at some point.

"This “Behavioral Code of Conduct” is not intended to deprive any person of their applicable civil rights or liberties under the law.
If you feel your rights are being violated, please notify the mall management office."

That is an interesting point that I wouldn't mind discussing with management.

Also: I guess I have just been lucky. :uhoh:

MagiK_SacK

Open Carry in Hampton Roads

"This “Behavioral Code of Conduct” is not intended to deprive any person of their applicable civil rights or liberties under the law.
If you feel your rights are being violated, please notify the mall management office."

Interesting point. I am genuinely interested to hear the outcome of that conversation if you ever have it. Please let us know.

ocholsteroc

Interesting.

CoDash

LEO Run In VB Oceanfront

Had a person trespassing at my apartments at the oceanfront tonight. So I called the non-emergency number, and the police got there in about 6 minutes. I was OCing my Sig Pro 2022. Both LEOs didn't even look at it. Both were very professional, and handled my situation. I think that VBPD are very well versed when it comes to OC laws. Thanks Guys. :D:D

Esanders2008

Had a person trespassing at my apartments at the oceanfront tonight. So I called the non-emergency number, and the police got there in about 6 minutes. I was OCing my Sig Pro 2022. Both LEOs didn't even look at it. Both were very professional, and handled my situation. I think that VBPD are very well versed when it comes to OC laws. Thanks Guys. :D:D

Yeah VBPD is pretty well versed. I called in a domestic dispute a week ago and, just for my own safety because I was outside, let the operator know that I was legally OCing. She made sure to make a note of it so I wouldn't find myself on the wrong side of things. Fortunately, I didn't have to interact with the police. :D

45acpForMe

York County just started uploading data to the following RAIDS website so you can see where crime is happening around you. I looked and you can see why I don't recommend people live in Newport News. I am a bit surprised that Hampton doesn't have anything so I am not sure if that is because it was a slow week or that they don't participate. The below picture is a map of the last weeks crimes which I included everything but driving violations.

http://www.raidsonline.com/

I also OC-ed to Anchor Pools and had a conversation with another customer. The interesting point was the woman working who was initially very surprised the first time she noticed I was carrying told the guy, "He carries in here all the time." which made me think that she has gotten very familiar/comfortable with OC. :)

crime.jpg

mpguy

Re: Open Carry in Hampton Roads

Out here now in down town Suffolk ocing at the main street festival. No problems thus far. Was stopped twice by patrons wanting to know my caliber of choice. No issues other wise.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The Airframer

OC'd to Grand China Buffet in Chesapeake yesterday and encountered another gentleman OCing what appeared to be an LC9 in a IWBH. Didn't get a chance to chat as I was on a business call when I saw him. If that was any of yall, I'm the dude with 4 kiddos and the smoking hot wife:D!

OC'd to walmart and to the Cheesecake Factory today. No issues.

Not been so active OCing lately because I was stuck on the flight deck the last couple weeks.

MagiK_SacK

OC'd yesterday to Fresh Crust Pizzeria off of Lynnhaven in Virginia Beach. It is withing walking distance so we decided to walk there and enjoy the great weather we have been having. While I was there I decided to thank them for being OC friendly. The waitress told my wife and I that at one point the owner was going to put up a sign but they were properly informed by a political group of some sort. Apparently the group meets there every* Saturday. When they were going to put up the sign one of the guys in the group educated them on the laws and urged them not to do so because a good number of the members OC and that would force them to pick a different meeting place. So the owner of the restaurant decided against putting up a sign! The waitress wasn't positive on the name of the group but I think I might have to check it out at some point just to see who it is.

Thought I would share that and see if any of y'all know anything about that.

Also I was trying to find a copy of VBPD Procedures and Policies just out of general interest, but google wasn't to friendly to me. Any off you guys out there know how I can find it?

*I'm not sure on weather or not it is every Saturday, but that's how often the waitress thinks it is.

Taylor95482

Edited to adhere to forum rules.

Been a while since I posted, but I've been OCing every day as usual when I'm not on base. I have yet to encounter a single issue other than a gentleman who informed me that I could get my CCW in this state. I told him, "I know, I have one.", and that was the extent of our conversation. I got a lot of dirty looks at Farm Fresh on Sunday but nobody wanted to speak up. Shame, I actually enjoy educating people on the laws that this great state offers.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

I'm just curious how often, if at all, any of you open carry a long gun? Excluding hunting season when you're out doing your thing.

Been a while since I posted, but I've been OCing every day as usual when I'm not on base. I have yet to encounter a single issue other than a gentleman who informed me that I could get my CCW in this state. I told him, "I know, I have one.", and that was the extent of our conversation. I got a lot of dirty looks at Farm Fresh on Sunday but nobody wanted to speak up. Shame, I actually enjoy educating people on the laws that this great state offers.

<panic> :uhoh: He mentioned a looooong guuuunn! </panic> :lol:

Forum rules say keep the discussion on handguns but many including me want to discuss long gun issues too. :)

For one, if you carry a long gun you better be OC-ing it since the CHP is a concealed HANDGUN permit only. I haven't seen anyone OC-ing a long gun but if the SHTF I believe it will be a common enough sight. :) ;-) :-(

I also have a ak47 pistol that I don't OC but would carry if the SHTF in a heartbeat. The common folk may panic if they see one of us carrying a long gun down the street. Not that it is illegal or anything though (other than some localities ordinances).

ETA: OC-ed to Taste Unlimited for lunch today and Food Lion yesterday. Trying to decide where to OC for dinner. :)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No panic induced, however the discussion of long gun carry is in violation of Forum Rules - been pointed out many times.

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.