• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just recently bought my first Glock. (17 Gen 4).. OC'd to wal-mart off Lynnhaven and Princess Anne. I was looking for some 9mm and all they had was *Federal Classic 115g Hollowpoints*.. Never heard of it and it was 15.xx for a box of 50. Can I shoot this stuff like some normal FMJ orrrr?

Must admit that is a little disturbing. You bought a gun which you are OCing and don't know what various ammos are or how they will function in your pistol? Please get more instruction.

FMJ = full metal jacket. Generally feeds best, but is considered lowest in terms of a good defensive round.

115 g Federal Classic HP - low grade defensive round, but adequate. At the price above, they rival the cost of FMJ. No reason to not use them at the range and for defensive carry if that is what fits your budget for now.

Will your gun feed them well and consistently w/o a FTF? Have you run 2-300 rounds of your carry ammo through your gun to make sure it is broken in and has no problems with the ammo selected? If not then you do not know if you have a reliable combination and are betting your life on an unknown.

Last edited:

utyszkij

Must admit that is a little disturbing. You bought a gun which you are OCing and don't know what various ammos are or how they will function in your pistol? Please get more instruction.

FMJ = full metal jacket. Generally feeds best, but is considered lowest in terms of a good defensive round.

115 g Federal Classic HP - low grade defensive round, but adequate. At the price above, they rival the cost of FMJ. No reason to not use them at the range and for defensive carry if that is what fits your budget for now.

Will your gun feed them well and consistently w/o a FTF? Have you run 2-300 rounds of your carry ammo through your gun to make sure it is broken in and has no problems with the ammo selected? If not then you do not know if you have a reliable combination and are betting your life on an unknown.

Assumptions are even more disturbing... Although I didn't make myself as clear as I could have, play nice.

I will never know how various ammo will work in my pistol without shooting it first.. If I lose $15 finding out, so be it.
I run 124g Hydra-shok as my defensive ammo. I was shopping for some practice brass and that's all Wal-Mart had, Federal Classic hollowpoints..never said it was going to be my personal defense round I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences firing said round. At $15 a box for 50 it's still cheaper than my local gun range I just didn't know if I could run it like *FMJ* ... full metal jacket yes I know thank you sir.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just recently bought my first Glock. (17 Gen 4).. OC'd to wal-mart off Lynnhaven and Princess Anne. I was looking for some 9mm and all they had was *Federal Classic 115g Hollowpoints*.. Never heard of it and it was 15.xx for a box of 50. Can I shoot this stuff like some normal FMJ orrrr?
Must admit that is a [highlight]little[/highlight] disturbing. You bought a gun which you are OCing and don't know what various ammos are or how they will function in your pistol? Please get more instruction.

Assumptions are even more disturbing... Although I didn't make myself as clear as I could have, play nice.

I will never know how various ammo will work in my pistol without shooting it first.. If I lose $15 finding out, so be it.
I run 124g Hydra-shok as my defensive ammo. I was shopping for some practice brass and that's all Wal-Mart had, Federal Classic hollowpoints..never said it was going to be my personal defense round I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences firing said round. At $15 a box for 50 it's still cheaper than my local gun range I just didn't know if I could run it like *FMJ* ... full metal jacket yes I know thank you sir.

I was responding to the information you provided. I was NOT trying to be insulting.

"Can" means are you able to shoot it like FMJ - well maybe, but only you can determine that for your gun. Some guns don't like certain ammo = failure to feed, different point of aim, etc., etc. Having never heard of Federal 115g HP is almost like saying one has never heard of Winchester white box ammo. That would indicate to most others a certain lack of relatively common knowledge.

Again though - I was Not trying to be insulting. I said it was a "little" disturbing. I may come across as grouchy late at night, first thing in the morning, or any time in between :lol: - I'll buy you a cup of coffee next time I'm down that way to make up for it.

I did indicated that there was "No reason to not use them at the range" - at that price they probably beat any price other than reloading.

If you ever decide to look at other defensive ammo, check out Federal HST. It is several generations improved over Hydro-Shok and I believe designed by the same man. Superior expansion, weight retention, and very reasonably priced - you should pay about $25/box of fifty.

45acpForMe

Couldn't OC this weekend seeing as how I was at Portsmouth Naval Hospital all weekend. Our newest family member, Kayleigh, decided it was time to be born. Luckily she waited till the weekend after the NN OC picnic. We will be taking a walk tomorrow, I can get back to OCing then.View attachment 9266

Congratulations!!! Now you get to be the over-protective Dad for your daughter like me. :) Most guys my daughters meet know I carry but they are surprised when they find out my daughters shoot (well) too. :) Hopefully she sleeps through the night soon. ;-)

I haven't seen Federal hollowpoints at Walmart just Winchester. You can shoot it just the same and your Glock should eat them up fine. I occassionally stop by the Walmart sporting goods counter if I am in-store for some other reason but usually just buy 1000 rounds online every now and then. The price isn't necessarily better than Walmart (sometimes it is) but you save yourself the hassle of checking back over and over again to see if they have them in stock. Check out http://www.ammoengine.com/

utyszkij

No hard feelings. I was just used to purchasing ammo from the local gun range (PMC, WWB) and recently thought I could save some coin by shopping around for ammo elsewhere. I'm currently looking into your recommendation of Federal HST, I appreciate it. Coffee!? :D Maybe sometime and good morning!

papa bear

OC-ed to Atlantic Coast Tumbling and Chipotle at Patrick Henry Mall. No issues.

At Chipotle I was sitting/eating right next to the exit/entrance to the mall when a NN Police officer (with his takeout dinner in his hand) stopped by and asked if I planned to go into the mall. I responded that no, I knew they didn't like guns in there. With a smile he went on his happy way. I took it as a friendly warning to avoid trouble/hassle and nothing else. A prior (year or two) visit at Chipotle when I saw two NN Police officers eating dinner I handed them some OC-info cards and asked their opinion on OC-ers. They both supported OC and toward the end of that short conversation also reminded me that the mall management didn't allow OC.

All in all a good OC day!

i have been wondering if we should use the term of "they are against self defense there", instead of they are unfriendly to guns. basically because people are unfriendly to guns. or, maybe "they are friendly to crime/criminals"

Couldn't OC this weekend seeing as how I was at Portsmouth Naval Hospital all weekend. Our newest family member, Kayleigh, decided it was time to be born. Luckily she waited till the weekend after the NN OC picnic. We will be taking a walk tomorrow, I can get back to OCing then.View attachment 9266

Congratulations

Wal-Mart has Hollow points? barring the .22 which seem all to be hollow points.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Open Carry in Hampton Roads

Congratulations now enjoy they grow fast and time flies.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

MagiK_SacK

Open Carry in Hampton Roads

Thank you, everybody, for the congratulations. No I have not picked out a training gun for her yet, but I have a few in mind. Hopefully with good training she will be a better shot than me!

OC'd today to subway and on a family walk around the neighborhood.

nilla

the wife got hassled by a school employee in the cafeteria for wearing a holster when she went to sign out and pick up the kids from school.
the lady asked her 'what is that holster for?' and when she replied that it was for a gun, the question posed was 'well, are you a dectective?'
then she walked away and talked with one of the teachers. don't know what was said, but i'm sure it wasn't pointing out and complimenting her blouse. ...

not sure what if anything will come of this. i really don't think the school can do a darned thing about us carrying a piece of leather around.
i just don't want to be hassled by the school for doing nothing wrong.
we would just stay in the car and legally Conceal, but for the kids saftey and accountability; parents gotta go in and physically sign the kids out.

papa bear

the wife got hassled by a school employee in the cafeteria for wearing a holster when she went to sign out and pick up the kids from school.
the lady asked her 'what is that holster for?' and when she replied that it was for a gun, the question posed was 'well, are you a dectective?'
then she walked away and talked with one of the teachers. don't know what was said, but i'm sure it wasn't pointing out and complimenting her blouse. ...

not sure what if anything will come of this. i really don't think the school can do a darned thing about us carrying a piece of leather around.
i just don't want to be hassled by the school for doing nothing wrong.
we would just stay in the car and legally Conceal, but for the kids saftey and accountability; parents gotta go in and physically sign the kids out.

actually i do this all the time since i go to eat lunch with my granddaughter. didn't really sound like the lunch lady was complaining, maybe that is just the way it sounded. i have had a few good comments about carry while at school

But Seriously, they have hollow points at the wal-mart there?

The Airframer

the lady asked her 'what is that holster for?'
...we would just stay in the car and legally Conceal, but for the kids saftey and accountability; parents gotta go in and physically sign the kids out.

 K-12 school grounds (§18.2-308.1)
* CHP holders exempted if carrying concealed
while in a vehicle (§18.2-308.1)
* Individuals with/without a CHP may secure a
handgun in container/compartment while in a
vehicle
(§18.2-308.1 & §18.2-308.B.10)

They most likely suspected your wife of leaving her carry unattended in her car, on school grounds after seeing the empty holster. I conceal when I drop off/pick up the kids but I do not get out of the car. I understand that this is when you are in violation, even when the handgun is in a "container/compartment"

Congratulations on the new baby-girl Magik_Sack!

wylde007

They most likely suspected your wife of leaving her carry unattended in her car, on school grounds after seeing the empty holster.
Yes but you skip right over the section that reads:

(vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container, or a knife having a metal blade, in or upon a motor vehicle, or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle.

"closed container" being the operative. Not "secure". Not "locked".

The section from which you are citing (vii) reads "possesses a concealed handgun". That could mean in the vehicle or on the person. Since the preceding paragraph insists that as long as the firearm is UNLOADED and in a CLOSED CONTAINER, then it reasons that the following paragraph refers to firearms of the loaded variety, and generally ON ONES PERSON.

So the wife could legally have an unloaded firearm in a closed container, having stopped outside of school property, unloaded the firearm, stowed it and then entered the property without violating the law as written.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes but you skip right over the section that reads:

(vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container, or a knife having a metal blade, in or upon a motor vehicle, or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle.

"closed container" being the operative. Not "secure". Not "locked".

The section from which you are citing (vii) reads "possesses a concealed handgun". That could mean in the vehicle or on the person. Since the preceding paragraph insists that as long as the firearm is UNLOADED and in a CLOSED CONTAINER, then it reasons that the following paragraph refers to firearms of the loaded variety, and generally ON ONES PERSON.

So the wife could legally have an unloaded firearm in a closed container, having stopped outside of school property, unloaded the firearm, stowed it and then entered the property without violating the law as written.

That is decidedly correct and very pertinent.

nilla

it was at home (for those who are curious) and not in a vehicle on school property.
i wouldn't prefer to go thru a hokey-pokey dance of fetching one's kids from skewl, especially since we so close.
" you put your right foot in, you draw the pistol out. you don't want to be in a jail put in, so then you take all the rounds out. you do the hokey-pokey then you hide it in the golve box. that's what its all about!"

thanks for sorting thru that, guys.
good to know we have the option to navigate thru the laws. by how quickly this was answered, im guessing this has come up before.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
it was at home (for those who are curious) and not in a vehicle on school property.
i wouldn't prefer to go thru a hokey-pokey dance of fetching one's kids from skewl, especially since we so close.
" you put your right foot in, you draw the pistol out. you don't want to be in a jail put in, so then you take all the rounds out. you do the hokey-pokey then you hide it in the golve box. that's what its all about!"

thanks for sorting thru that, guys.
good to know we have the option to navigate thru the laws. by how quickly this was answered, im guessing this has come up before.

Twice at least. :lol:

BTW - I like your hokey-pokey routine. May steal it.
icon14.png

Last edited:

2a4all

 K-12 school grounds (§18.2-308.1)
* CHP holders exempted if carrying concealed
while in a vehicle (§18.2-308.1)
* Individuals with/without a CHP may secure a
handgun in container/compartment while in a
vehicle
(§18.2-308.1 & §18.2-308.B.10)

They most likely suspected your wife of leaving her carry unattended in her car, on school grounds after seeing the empty holster. I conceal when I drop off/pick up the kids but I do not get out of the car. I understand that this is when you are in violation, even when the handgun is in a "container/compartment"

Congratulations on the new baby-girl Magik_Sack!
This statute refers to a condition when no CHP is required. As long as the handgun is not on your person, you may exit the vehicle. However, you cannot transfer the handgun between your person and such a container or compartment while on school grounds.

Last edited:

The Airframer

This statute refers to a condition when no CHP is required. As long as the handgun is not on your person, you may exit the vehicle. However, you cannot transfer the handgun between your person and such a container or compartment while on school grounds.

I appreciate all the clarity folks!

It has always seemed like a touchy carry area to me and I usually don't on school grounds unless dropping off/pinking up the kiddos at school is a via point to somewhere other than home. So I can either: Carry concealed on school grounds and not get out of the car or unload the gun and secure it in a container off of school grounds to be able to get out of my car while on school grounds and still be within the law.

2a4all

I appreciate all the clarity folks!

It has always seemed like a touchy carry area to me and I usually don't on school grounds unless dropping off/pinking up the kiddos at school is a via point to somewhere other than home. So I can either: Carry concealed on school grounds and not get out of the car or unload the gun and secure it in a container off of school grounds to be able to get out of my car while on school grounds and still be within the law.
If it's secured in a container, it may be un/loaded (18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited C.(vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container. was rendered null by 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry; penalty B.10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel; because this clause was incorporated into 18.2-308.1) You just can't take the container with you if you exit the vehicle.

2a4all

I was OCing around the house (as usual) when this happened.

I recently renewed my NRA membership, and I got the renewal "perks" package in the mail today. The package contained an official NRA ball cap. I'm not a hat person, but while I opened the rest of my mail, I wore the hat.

When I finished, I went back into the den still wearing the hat where my wife was along with the dog. As I entered, the dog alerted and began to snarl and growl at me as though I were an intruder. It took me several minutes to get her calmed down. I figured it was the hat, so I took it off to let her sniff it. She really gave it the once over, and eventually ignored it.

The renewal package also included free life and firearms insurance, but nothing addressing being attacked by your own dog.

I have worn my GSL button many times, and the dog has never blinked an eye.

Membership in my gun club requires NRA membership.