• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My late cat had the same hat phobia. It's as if having a hat turned me into a different person. I'd take the hat off and her experssion would change to , "Oh, it's you."

Tunnel vision - people tend to suffer from it too :D

kord

But Seriously, they have hollow points at the wal-mart there?

Yes most of the walmart's in the area carry a very limited selection/stock of 9mm hp.

As far as a good place (cheap) place to buy ammo the Armory at 5313 Indian River Road Virginia Beach, VA 23464 (757) 424-1617 has about the lowest prices. I can usually find Aguila for around 10 bucks a box. But I prefer to buy ammo at the SGK gun shows or order it.

paramedic70002

I was OCing around the house (as usual) when this happened.

I recently renewed my NRA membership, and I got the renewal "perks" package in the mail today. The package contained an official NRA ball cap. I'm not a hat person, but while I opened the rest of my mail, I wore the hat.

When I finished, I went back into the den still wearing the hat where my wife was along with the dog. As I entered, the dog alerted and began to snarl and growl at me as though I were an intruder. It took me several minutes to get her calmed down. I figured it was the hat, so I took it off to let her sniff it. She really gave it the once over, and eventually ignored it.

The renewal package also included free life and firearms insurance, but nothing addressing being attacked by your own dog.

I have worn my GSL button many times, and the dog has never blinked an eye.

Membership in my gun club requires NRA membership.

The first cool day we had last fall, I came out of my room wearing a coat and hat, the dogs were not impressed with my fashion sense one bit. Once I took off the hat, they were cool.

Esanders2008

So I have been OCing this weekend as I usually do:

Walmart
Royal Thai Cuisine in Chesapeake
Wawa
Food Lion
and I took a nice long walk with the wife :)

Only interesting encounter I had was when I went to Wawa. There was a "gentleman" there who very loudly said "Yo dawg I like yo' Glock! I got myself a Glock Fo-Tay myself at da crib. BAP BAP BAP" (as he makes a finger gun and does some weird dance) :rolleyes:
Interesting, as I never call my Glock "nine" :p

DJEEPER

Been carrying everywhere lately.

Last weekend I went camping on the Mah-hur trail in the GWNF. OC'ed my AR15 pistol strapped to the side of my alice pack and had my XDm40 on the shoulder holster. Went squirrel hunting with the .22 conversion in the AR pistol... but didnt get anything :( I ate beans and weenies that night.

Been open carrying around town, at the bike shop, subway in grafton, etc etc. No incidents.

Last night i was OC'ing in the ABC store in grafton and had a gentleman approach me about obtaining his chp. I explained the hoops he had to jump through and how he can use his DD214 as his certification to bypass the class. He was very appreciative.

Today at work in Dicks Sporting Goods, I was not OC'ing (CC :p ) but managed to gather a small crowd of 3 with a conversation about VCDL, Open carry and OCDO. One of the gentlemen had an empty shoulder holster and I commented "Hey! Why dont you have your sidearm on you? (jokingly serious)" He said he was going into the mall so he couldnt. I just made sure he knew that in Dicks Sporting Goods he was very openly welcomed to carry, as it makes me feel safer.

I didnt have any cards so i scribbled this site down for them to find. I invited them to come out to the future OC Dinner we will have sometime soon i hope. I hope they come!

45acpForMe

OC-ed to Chipotle and Dicks Sporting Goods Friday. Today Food Lion, walked around PTC (Deliahs, Hollister, Claires, Target), Olive Garden. No issues.

I stopped by the sporting goods area in Dicks but didn't see you DJEEPER. You must have been working at the bike shop that day. :) As far as squirrel hunting, I only plan to eat squirrel if the SHTF and I have to. So which is better for hunting squirrels, a shotgun with birdshot or a .22LR? I guess if you are a good shot the 22LR stops you from biting down on lead shot!

images

DJEEPER

you pretty much got the bullseye on that one. You can use bird shot, but you will have to pick out the pellets. 22 is pretty quick and easy. 1 round and they usually go through and through.

I got some interesting looks from other hikers with my AR pistol on the side of my alice pack, but nothing negative :)

DDD8A859-5F92-405C-AD0F-66E022C6BEB3-238-000000142215511E_zpsd8221a9b.jpg

ocholsteroc

OC-ed to Chipotle and Dicks Sporting Goods Friday. Today Food Lion, walked around PTC (Deliahs, Hollister, Claires, Target), Olive Garden. No issues.

I stopped by the sporting goods area in Dicks but didn't see you DJEEPER. You must have been working at the bike shop that day. :) As far as squirrel hunting, I only plan to eat squirrel if the SHTF and I have to. So which is better for hunting squirrels, a shotgun with birdshot or a .22LR? I guess if you are a good shot the 22LR stops you from biting down on lead shot!

images

a shotgun if you can't aim, or other wise get a $100-$150 pellet gun and 1000 pellets. Btw, was at walmart today and saw an OC'er there. Went to hand a card and my wallet wasn't in my pocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ran to a manager who handed me my wallet back to me(he picked it up) so if it wasn't for the OC'er getting a card, I would have walked off and not notice it missing till later. Curse tight pants lol... Moral of story, open carry by someone else saved me a trip back to walmart(and time) for looking for my wallet. Because I would have not reached for my OC cards to give to him.

Last edited:

papa bear

I have worn my GSL button many times, and the dog has never blinked an eye.

Membership in my gun club requires NRA membership.

why don't they require membership in the VCDL, hell of a lot better org., and they do more for the gun clubs in VA

Justine

Hampton Roads to Culpeper weekend OC

Drove up to Culpeper to do some camping/shooting out on my friend's property just outside of Culpeper, VA. I OC all the way up, making gas station stops and food stops (only really needed to stop once on the way up) with no issues. Walked around Wal-Mart and bought ammo in Culpeper (saw a group in ghillie suits there as well).

On the return trip I had a blow out just outside of Fredericksburg and OC in to Firestone to have a new tire put on my truck, no issues.

OC when picking my dogs up from PetsMart Pet Hotel, again no issues..

Had a great weekend of shooting small caliber and large caliber rifles, as well as my sidearm. My next step is to find someone to take me hunting... I've never been and I'd like to see if I'd be any good (BTW... I outshot every man in our group with the rifles :banana:)

2a4all

I said: "Membership in my gun club requires NRA membership."

Papa bear said "why don't they require membership in the VCDL, hell of a lot better org., and they do more for the gun clubs in VA"
Probably has to with being established when PVC was still a toddler. The NRA was the only game in town, and many (if not all) of the founders were members, and of course, their (great/grand) kids joined too. Would've been unpatriotic not to.

Fast forward to modern times, many are members of VCDL.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by papa bear

I said: "Membership in my gun club requires NRA membership."

Papa bear said "why don't they require membership in the VCDL, hell of a lot better org., and they do more for the gun clubs in VA"
Probably has to with being established when PVC was still a toddler. The NRA was the only game in town, and many (if not all) of the founders were members, and of course, their (great/grand) kids joined too. Would've been unpatriotic not to.

Fast forward to modern times, many are members of VCDL.

Think that the NRA provides low cost insurance to ranges and gun clubs in return for all members belonging to the NRA. At least that is what I have heard.

The Airframer

OC'd today over to the Armory for some ammo and mags and then over to Walmart on P. Anne for some fair-weather boots for hunting season and to get a head-start on santa shopping.

No issues in either place.

Did see a couple of folks and the employees OCing at The Armory and one of VBPD's finest OCing at Walmart dealing with some lady off to the side out front. I know the five-O saw me because I had to walk past him again to return my cart, he said nothing. I'm glad they are well versed in gun laws here. Gotta love VA!:banana:

wylde007

and one of VBPD's finest OCing at Walmart dealing with some lady off to the side out front.
It's not generally considered "OC" when a uniformed officer of the law is doing it. I mean, they ALL do it. It's just that nobody gets all nancy-pants around them like they do around Joe Citizen.

Which is strange, because you are 7x more likely to be killed by a cop than by a terrorist.

And how do you know he was one of VBPD's finest? He may have been one of VBPD's mediocre-est... :lol:

The Airframer

It's not generally considered "OC" when a uniformed officer of the law is doing it. I mean, they ALL do it. It's just that nobody gets all nancy-pants around them like they do around Joe Citizen.

Which is strange, because you are 7x more likely to be killed by a cop than by a terrorist.

And how do you know he was one of VBPD's finest? He may have been one of VBPD's mediocre-est... :lol:

:lol: He didn't harass me or shoot at me after he saw me armed and I give him that much credit! And BTW, I get all nancy-pants around them especially after that one-way shootout with unarmed citizens up in NYC that ended up in 9 sheeple injured:uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gentleman (ladies too) open carry of AR and AK style pistols is considered off topic here - not the mere mention of them, but the promoting of carrying etc.

As with long guns, there is the concern regarding trigger protection and muzzle control - we look to normalize the open carry in a holster of traditional semi-autos and/or revolvers. Absolutely not against that type of handgun - just not here. The only sub-forum in which approval would be merited would be General Discussion.

Appreciate your understanding.

Esanders2008

Gentleman (ladies too) open carry of AR and AK style pistols is considered off topic here - not the mere mention of them, but the promoting of carrying etc.

As with long guns, there is the concern regarding trigger protection and muzzle control - we look to normalize the open carry in a holster of traditional semi-autos and/or revolvers. Absolutely not against that type of handgun - just not here. The only sub-forum in which approval would be merited would be General Discussion.

Appreciate your understanding.

so there is nothing stopping me from OCing a long gun (other than the cumbersome size) right?

i'm saying that i'm gonna strap on an AR, an AK and a pump action mossy and go waltzing thru wally world. ... but it is nice to know that i can

See above.