• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Adkins1986

Just bought a Sig P229 and looking forward to OC-ing throughout Hampton Roads. First handgun I've bought and it was definitely a good choice.

Esanders2008

Just bought a Sig P229 and looking forward to OC-ing throughout Hampton Roads. First handgun I've bought and it was definitely a good choice.

Congrats and welcome to OCDO! Be sure to also check out VCDL for important information. I'm sure you will find a lot of resources and information here on our forum, and don't be shy about asking questions if you don't understand something. Also, if you are able, you should come out to Applebees this friday for a small OC dinner. Details can be found on that thread which is also on the first page of the VA sub forum.

Again, welcome!

Taylor95482

Had sort of a bad OC experience a few days ago, but I've pretty much shrugged it off as another's ignorance and now it sort of makes me laugh. I was at Farm Fresh in Hampton, the one near Verizon. I was wearing shorts and a flannel type shirt with the sleeves rolled up on my forearms, and of course, my Glock 20 on my right hip. Anyway, I'm in the meat section and I hear "excuse me", and had the following conversation.

I turn around and some dude asks me the age old question, "are you a cop?".

I say no and look at him expectantly, and he goes, "Well I'm new to this state (OBVIOUS clue that he was about to spout some nonsense), but I'm pretty sure you can't just openly carry a gun out in public".

Me: "I sure can, Virginia is an open carry state".

Him: "Hm. I'll have to look into that. Why don't you just conceal it though, are you aware that it makes people nervous?"

Me: "Sir you are literally the second person to ever approach me regarding my firearm in over six months, and I open carry every single day. The community at large around here has no problem with it." (This is 100% true, btw, the people of Virginia have been wonderful about this)

Him: "Well how come you don't conceal it, you probably don't even have a permit for that either?"

Me: "I don't need a permit to carry openly. I do have a permit to carry concealed but I choose not to."

He started to mumble something and I interrupted and said "Are you detaining me, am I free to go?" :lol:

I got a confused look and before he answered I turned around and walked off. I guess that was a bit of a smartass comment but I couldn't help myself. I wish I had thought to turn on my audio recorder but since he was obviously not LEO the thought didn't even cross my mind. This is as word for word as I can remember it.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip-- I wish I had thought to turn on my audio recorder but since he was obviously not LEO the thought didn't even cross my mind. This is as word for word as I can remember it.

Hint, hint. Big Hint!

Always, always have your digital recorder on when you are out and about. You likely will never have time to turn it on otherwise.

mpguy

Re: Open Carry in Hampton Roads

The audio recorder is definitely a great tool. Y'all have any recommendations on one?

I have a question to add with this. Wasn't there a android app recommended for that use? Can't seem to dig it up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The audio recorder is definitely a great tool. Y'all have any recommendations on one?

My choice:
http://www.abt.com/product/53627/Sony-ICDPX312.html?camptype=cpcgoogleFeedPro&gclid=COTMzIzYwLMCFQMFnQodcDwAMA

Records all day for several days w/o changing batteries (1000 ma rechargeable) - direct down load to PC. I actually carry it in my front jeans pocket, w/noise canceling feature the audio is quite clear. I paid a little less a year ago, but $59.00 is still a great deal.

skew12

My choice:
http://www.abt.com/product/53627/Sony-ICDPX312.html?camptype=cpcgoogleFeedPro&gclid=COTMzIzYwLMCFQMFnQodcDwAMA

Records all day for several days w/o changing batteries (1000 ma rechargeable) - direct down load to PC. I actually carry it in my front jeans pocket, w/noise canceling feature the audio is quite clear. I paid a little less a year ago, but $59.00 is still a great deal.

Thanks ill be picking one up!

mpg9999

Haven't done too much OC'ing lately, just Chipotle and Wawas.

Sorry to go off topic, but can anyone recommend a gun smith in the Hampton Roads area who can mount a scope for me? Feel free to PM me so it doesn't clog up the thread with OT discussions. Thanks.

45acpForMe

Sorry to go off topic, but can anyone recommend a gun smith in the Hampton Roads area who can mount a scope for me? Feel free to PM me so it doesn't clog up the thread with OT discussions. Thanks.

I have used Mario in the past and he is good. Not cheap but good. Mario: 850-3770.

It depends on what he has in his queue as to how fast he can work on something. It took him two days to install a trigger and night sights on two different guns for my because I was 4th or 5th in line. :) He is in Hampton/Fox Hill area.

OC-ed around Peninsula Town Center yesterday and to Chipotle. A woman in line asked me how I got my OC license.?.? I told her about VA being an OC state and handed her a card. She told me that she has her CHP but everywhere she went was either anti like movie theaters or asked her to cover it up. Our conversation was short but hopefully she can do some more research.

Last edited:

mpguy

Re: Open Carry in Hampton Roads

I've heard good thing's about Revolver Armorer
http://www.revolverarmorer.com/

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

AFCop

OC'd at Patrick Henry Mall tonight then at the Food Lion on Big Bethal Rd by the DQ. Even got the mgr to hook us up with a MVP card. Couple of stares but otherwise uneventful, listened to karaoke in the food court at the mall and passed a couple security folks with not much more then a glance. I imagine I didn't look to intimidating withy 3 y/o son on one hand and my 2 y/o daughter on the other. Saved $20 bucks at Food Lion thanks to that little card.

2a4all

OC'd at Patrick Henry Mall tonight then at the Food Lion on Big Bethal Rd by the DQ. Even got the mgr to hook us up with a MVP card. Couple of stares but otherwise uneventful, listened to karaoke in the food court at the mall and passed a couple security folks with not much more then a glance. I imagine I didn't look to intimidating withy 3 y/o son on one hand and my 2 y/o daughter on the other. Saved $20 bucks at Food Lion thanks to that little card.
Patrick Henry Mall has a "No Weapons" policy. It's not posted at every entrance, but they do enforce it. They will ask you to leave, which you must do immediately, or face a trespassing charge. Dick's Sporting Goods, one of their anchor stores with outside access, permits open carry, but they don't speak for the rest of the mall.

45acpForMe

Patrick Henry Mall has a "No Weapons" policy. It's not posted at every entrance, but they do enforce it. They will ask you to leave, which you must do immediately, or face a trespassing charge. Dick's Sporting Goods, one of their anchor stores with outside access, permits open carry, but they don't speak for the rest of the mall.

If you enter via the "store/restaurant" entrance you can OC at Baileys, Chipotle, JC Penney, Dicks and probably others. If you go into the mall propper you will be asked to leave if they notice you.

OC-ed to The County Grill last night for my daughters banquet. No issues (in a room of 25 cheerleaders and 50 parents).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If you enter via the "store/restaurant" entrance you can OC at Baileys, Chipotle, JC Penney, Dicks and probably others. If you go into the mall propper you will be asked to leave if they notice you.

OC-ed to The County Grill last night for my daughters banquet. No issues (in a room of 25 cheerleaders and 50 parents).

Each cheerleader has two (2) parents? How unique these days. ; )

AFCop

We entered thru the entrance by Old Navy next to the food court, never saw a no guns sign however I couldn't miss their no smoking signs. Some people saw but no one said anything... And Allied Barton must not hire observant guards then....

DJEEPER

So I heard :p