• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

wylde007

imported post

Wawa on Saturday morning before a Civil 3D seminar I was attending. A young man came up to me as I was getting a donut for the missus and said "You know you're not concealed right now?"

My response: "Absolutely" (with emphasis!)

He just kinda gave me a :? and then walked away. I didn't really have time to offer him any education.

Crash7795

imported post

Brother and I OCed in a party of 5 to Broken Egg Bistro in Chesapeake on Sunday. Forgot it was Mother's Day, didn't call ahead. We ended up standing in the parking lot for about 30 minutes, kind of milling around, but well back from the line at the door. I know we got noticed, including two LEO types, but no one said anything.

Walking into the restaurant and working our way to the back, brother got some :what:from folks sitting at Glock level on his strong side. Since he carries on the opposite side from me, those folks didn't see mine. I didn't see anyone gawking at me. Waitstaff either didn't notice or didn't care. Complete non-event.

Awesome food, too!

Crash7795

imported post

Oh, I nearly forgot. Headed north on 17 Sunday afternoon, just over the bridge at Yorktown, got passed by a guy on a green sportsbike, wearing a white tshirt and a green helmet with a mohawk on it. That's what got my initial attention, but after closer inspection, I saw he had what looked like a polymer-frame pistol tucked in his belt on his right hip. I don't suppose that was anyone from here?

Crash7795

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Tucked in a belt? I sure hope it was in a holster. :what:

That's a great way to scratch up a pistol when it hits the pavement at 60+ mph...
Didn't see a holster outside the belt, doesn't mean there wasn't one inside the belt. I didn't fully catch the view until after he'd already passed me, because of the traffic pattern coming off the toll plaza.

DocDaddy

imported post

OC'ed to Lowe's on Holland Road several times over the last 2 weeks and nary a word, even had some lenghty discussions about house/deck projects with some of the staff, just a glance was all.

rdbro83

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
OC'd today while shopping with family. First stop: Very busy McDonalds on Jefferson Ave in Newport News and Denbigh. A tour bus with Tennessee tags pulled in and disgorged its passengers. I was seated strong side out and several people saw me but no :shock:eek:r comments. Next stop: Patrick Henry Mall. Went in through Borders. Shopped in there for about 30 minutes and didn't see any :shock:either. Asked an employee for a certain book and he led me to the section. I don't think he even noticed my sidearm, even in a BLACK thumb-break holster worn over tan shorts and light green t-shirt. Went into the mall and walked all over for another 45 minutes. My wife saw another guy with a holster, but it was EMPTY. :uhoh: I asked her where she had seen him, because I had been looking in another direction. She said he was going the other way and he hadn't seen me, either. The rest of the trip was a non-event. Passed several mall security cops (all unarmed) and no reaction. I will continue to OC rather than CC. Gotta support the Movement!
i totally agree with you on the uneducated citizens here in virginia that dont even know their constitutional rights. its just a shame in my opinion,..

havent really heard too much from people in Williamsburg area so i'll share my experiences that i had today...
went with a realtor today to look at some property no issues there, grabbed a bite to eat at the happy buffet on merrimac trail off 143 no looks there either:)
and i always OC in the farm fresh in norge, they all know me there so never an issue
plus all the james city count LEO's know me fairly well as a security officer at the local outlets

sickntired

imported post

You can carry in a place of worship as long as religious services are not being conducted. This is what the code of VA says:

§ 18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.
If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

sickntired wrote:
You can carry in a place of worship as long as religious services are not being conducted. This is what the code of VA says:

§ 18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.
If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

I firmly believe I can rationalize the above bold & underlinedstatement with one short answer: "Google CHURCH SHOOTINGS" That should suffice...

2a4all

imported post

OC'd to a Neighborhood Watch Coalition meeting at the NNPD Headquarters tonight. Nice facility.

Only comment was from my neighborhood resource officer during an after-meeting conversation, when she said "I noticed you wore your gun tonight. I was going to say something when you first arrived, but I know you can legally carry, so it's OK."

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I've been debating OC or CC when I go to a neighborhood watch meeting. The last one was at the elementary school and I didn't carry at all. I kept my mouth shut about carrying at all and about my previous employment. I just wanted to see the "lay of the land" and see what the neighbors are up to.

NavyVA

imported post

Early Sunday morning at about 03:30 was my first OCing experience. I went to get a cup of coffee and some cigarettes at Wawa on Ferrell Parkway. Little nervous first time when I saw VBSO move out of my view when getting coffee, but we gave each other a courteous head nod acknowledgment, made me feel more confident.

Yesterday was NFCU ATM Salem Rd, Food Lion Ferrell Parkway, and Little Caesars on Providence Rd and Military Highway. No worries.

When / where's the next OC dinning out on the southside? I'd like to meet up.

sccrref

imported post

NavyVA wrote:
Early Sunday morning at about 03:30 was my first OCing experience. I went to get a cup of coffee and some cigarettes at Wawa on Ferrell Parkway. Little nervous first time when I saw VBSO move out of my view when getting coffee, but we gave each other a courteous head nod acknowledgment, made me feel more confident.

Yesterday was NFCU ATM Salem Rd, Food Lion Ferrell Parkway, and Little Caesars on Providence Rd and Military Highway. No worries.

When / where's the next OC dinning out on the southside? I'd like to meet up.
Check out the Hampton Roads OC dining out thread. The 14th and it is on the southside if my initial scan is correct.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

14th is in Yorktown, right on Rt 17 (actually about a 1/2 block off 17 in the Grafton area) If you want directions, its on the threadnear the top of the page.

Someone want to start a thread for one at the end of the month on the Southside?

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Last weekend,

OC Usual Haunts, Winfrees (admirals cigs and to browse inventory), Yorktown WalMart (this timewe where not ac-ousted), Red Lobster, Gamestop, Ulta (Admiral needed some makeuppy things), Owens Marina Restaurant Poquoson, Poquoson FarmFresh, West Marine (Multiple Times, although it almost doesn't count because I'm of first name basis with all the employees)

Whatmakes all this notable is that the Admiral isnow Carrying OC! Its time for the venerable dancing banana...:celebrate

For those of you who don't know... "Admiral" = Wife

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Over the past 2 weeks, I have been to (and some on several occasions....):

Wally-Word
Wendy's
McDonalds
Krogers
Food Lion
Rite Aid
Hall-Mark
Verizon Store
A small fishing shop on Northampton Blvd in VB (I forgot the name, sorry!)
Dicks Sporting Goods
Seven Eleven
WaWa Gas Stations
Exxon Gas Stations
Barnes and Noble
Best Buy
and several others....

Get the occasional :shock:, but not much else.

On some occasions you get the teenager or kid that looks to their parent and says "That man has a gun!" quietly. The parent's response is always "Maybe he's an officer...."

Not much other than that. :D

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Freeflight wrote:
Last weekend,

OC Usual Haunts, Winfrees (admirals cigs and to browse inventory), Yorktown WalMart (this timewe where not ac-ousted), Red Lobster, Gamestop, Ulta (Admiral needed some makeuppy things), Owens Marina Restaurant Poquoson, Poquoson FarmFresh, West Marine (Multiple Times, although it almost doesn't count because I'm of first name basis with all the employees)

Whatmakes all this notable is that the Admiral isnow Carrying OC! Its time for the venerable dancing banana...:celebrate

For those of you who don't know... "Admiral" = Wife

I like that... The Admiral. I know this because you are the CAPTAIN of your vessel and your WIFE is the ADMIRAL!

I think I'll call my young Padawan 18-year-old new OCer The Ensign...
In keeping with Naval Tradition.