• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Packing at a concert in B'ham Alabama... need some advice.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Okay, so I am going to Birmingham tomorrow to a Hank Williams III concert at the Zydeco. I have decided that I'm not going to OC because I don't have any experience with the BPD, and I don't want to "incite panic." My problem is, that I do not feel comfortable not packing because there is a lot of crime in Birmingham, not to mention that, while I will be stone sober, there will probably be a lot of drugs and alcohol being passed around this place. It's going to be rather mobbish as it's a standing room only concert.

The advice I seek is whether or not my method of CC (IWB in an Uncle Mike's sidekick in the 3 o'clock position witha shirt and sweater pulled over it) is secure enough to carry into a crowd like this without worrying about it being pulled out. I've already inspected this method quite thoroughly and it conceals very effectively... no printing whatsoever with the sweater.

Basically, would this be acceptable for you if you were in the same situation???

Like I said, I'm going tomorrow, so any advice tonight would be GREATLY appreciated.

Moderator: Please don't move this to the Bama thread as more people frequent the GD thread and the more diverse the responses the better off I think I'll be.

THANKS!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If'n I were you, I'd try it also without the sweater. At a SRO concert, it can get hot in a hurry, what with the lights, the people, the movement.

It'll be secure if you feel it's secure. If you're comfortable with the understanding that in a crush someone could be pushed up against you, and that person might have the suspicion what he just felt is a gun, and he wants to challenge, etc. That's a mighty lot of "if" strung in a row.

But I'm no expert on 'bama law, so whether it meets the law is not my forte. I'd think it'd be secure, though.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

An expert I am not, but I do know the laws and know that there is nothing illegal about it.

I think I am probably going to wear a button up shirt over the gun. That should be enough to keep me from getting too hot.

Like you said, Tess, there jsut seems to be so many "ifs" that I can't feel 100% about it. Situational awareness usual causes people to avoid what I am going to be doing when they are packing, but hey, what's the point of carrying a gun if it causes you to avoid things you enjoy right?

I think you are right though. I don't think there will be any problems with it being knocked out or anything. I do wish my SERPA wasn't so damn big and hard to conceal though... then I would have no worries at all.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
Okay, so I am going to Birmingham tomorrow to a Hank Williams III concert at the Zydeco. I have decided that I'm not going to OC because I don't have any experience with the BPD, and I don't want to "incite panic." My problem is, that I do not feel comfortable not packing because there is a lot of crime in Birmingham, not to mention that, while I will be stone sober, there will probably be a lot of drugs and alcohol being passed around this place. It's going to be rather mobbish as it's a standing room only concert.

The advice I seek is whether or not my method of CC (IWB in an Uncle Mike's sidekick in the 3 o'clock position witha shirt and sweater pulled over it) is secure enough to carry into a crowd like this without worrying about it being pulled out. I've already inspected this method quite thoroughly and it conceals very effectively... no printing whatsoever with the sweater.

Basically, would this be acceptable for you if you were in the same situation???

Like I said, I'm going tomorrow, so any advice tonight would be GREATLY appreciated.

Hmm, I don't know.... but based on your history and especially this event:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum59/5052.html

I'd just recommend you leave the gun at home tomorrow. It's gonna be packed, drinking and drugging going on.....probably some antis around....

Maybe leave the pistola at home, enjoy the music and have a good oletime not having to worryat allabout somebody making you.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, I considered leaving it... but I realized that I wasn't comfortable with that. I'm a country boy. When I go to big cities like this, I always feel paranoid, especially at night.

I think I might just pack the BUG though. I can just drop that in my pocket and no one would be the wiser. It's the simplest solution that keeps me armed, and makes it near impossible for it be discovered/accidentally knocked out (my pants pocket zips over the gun).

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
An expert I am not, but I do know the laws and know that there is nothing illegal about it.

I think I am probably going to wear a button up shirt over the gun. That should be enough to keep me from getting too hot.

Like you said, Tess, there jsut seems to be so many "ifs" that I can't feel 100% about it. Situational awareness usual causes people to avoid what I am going to be doing when they are packing, but hey, what's the point of carrying a gun if it causes you to avoid things you enjoy right?

I think you are right though. I don't think there will be any problems with it being knocked out or anything. I do wish my SERPA wasn't so damn big and hard to conceal though... then I would have no worries at all.
Ouch. Yeah, I think a Serpa would be waaay too much. I carry my 1911 OC in the Serpa, and it carries the frame further away from the body than I'm really comfortable with.

But an Uncle Mike's IWB. I reckon you'll be fine. Mentally prepare some "what if" situations, and enjoy Hank Jr. (I liked his father; don't care for him - but it beats what some folks listen to <grin>).

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Tess wrote:
. Mentally prepare some "what if" situations, and enjoy Hank Jr. (I liked his father; don't care for him - but it beats what some folks listen to <grin>;).

It's actually Hank Williams the Third. He does progressive country and he stepped over into the metal scene some years back. I think this is going to be mainly his country stuff though.

If you want an idea of the kind of music that'll be played, the name of the opening act, "Nashville Pussy" ought to be a good indicator....lol

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
HankT making friends yet again...

Yeah. I tried to emulate his own tactics and look him up on Myspace as he so shamefully did to me in a thread a while back and add him as a friend, but alas, I could not find him. Oh well. Even though HankT is obviously against my right to carry a weapon, I find his opinions no more relevant than mine, so I just sit back and revel in the fact that at least someone out there's life is pathetic enough that they have the time/desireto stalk me online....

Besides, for those of us who generally stay out of it, the threads that this guy creates with his shameless prodding and manipulation can be pretty entertaining.

So, Kudos to HankT for annoying the hell out of us in a way only you can. Send LEO229 my best at the next convention you two hold in your basement.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
unrequited wrote:
HankT making friends yet again...

Yeah. I tried to emulate his own tactics and look him up on Myspace as he so shamefully did to me in a thread a while back and add him as a friend, but alas, I could not find him. Oh well. Even though HankT is obviously against my right to carry a weapon, I find his opinions no more relevant than mine, so I just sit back and revel in the fact that at least someone out there's life is pathetic enough that they have the time/desireto stalk me online....
Stalking? Pathetic? Hmmm, you mean that unrequited is stalking....

unrequited wrote:
crap... I'll be in Jersey for xgiving. *shudder* Maybe I'll stop by Hank's and we'll do our own anti-protest.

...that camera footage looks BEAUTIFUL.
...and BobCav?

....and nakedshoplifter?

...and Hawflyer?

Aww, come on. You're not getting, um, paranoid tonite are ya?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
HankT wrote:
Aww, come on. You're not getting, um, paranoid tonite are ya?
Should I be?????......:what::what::what::what::what:

Not unless Bob starts keeping track of your logins.....;)

Or NSL logs your visits to vaguninfo......;);)

Or unrequited starts asking you what the weather is like where you live....;););)

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

OK this discussion is off topic. Please refrain from the personal stuff and stick to the question at hand.

imperialism2024

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
Yeah, I considered leaving it... but I realized that I wasn't comfortable with that. I'm a country boy. When I go to big cities like this, I always feel paranoid, especially at night.

I think I might just pack the BUG though. I can just drop that in my pocket and no one would be the wiser. It's the simplest solution that keeps me armed, and makes it near impossible for it be discovered/accidentally knocked out (my pants pocket zips over the gun).
It would be ridiculous to not bring it along. Regardless of the fact that a person cannot pick and choose when he will be attacked and how your choice to carry a gun should not be based on how "safe" the situation feels, you have already stated why you feel you need protection. While CCing is probably a good idea in this situation, you just need to be as careful as you can. Just my two cents, of course...

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Well, I made it through the concert in one piece. First off, I had an absolute blast... Nasville Pussy, Hank III and the Damn Band/Assjack, and Reverand Horton Heat... all were great. The moshing got prettycrazy, and I moved the pistol from 3 o clock where I didn't feel completely in control of it to 1 o clock and had no more problems from there on out.

Never really even felt nervous amongst the metal heads and hellbillies at the concert... wasn't until we were leaving town and we stopped for gas at 3 AM on the way home when some dude came up asking for cash and wouldn't leave that I went to condition orange.

All in all, a good trip to the big city by a couple of country boys. One I'd be willing to make again to see Hank III.