• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cuccinelli Wins by a Whisker

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Kenneth T. Cuccinelli II (R) 18,596

Janet S. Oleszek (D) 18,505

These numbers are 100% but not official. I don't no if it will be challenged.

So In Fairfax County we Gain a Seat in Peterson, retain Cuccinelli, but lose O'Brien. O'Brien was the only senate Sponsor of the "Albo Fees".

We got Vogel to replace Potts in The Western Part of Virginia and she is 100% Behind us.

We did great I think considering the Political Climate. Thanks again to Mayor Bloomberg for his tireless effort in helpng to re-shape the political landscape.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

50% +1 is enough to win so I guess we can call him old landslide now. Still I think there will be a recount so hang on yet.

TEX1N

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
I'm not sure they have counted absentee ballots yet.
Hopefully his 91 vote lead is enough to keep him ahead. Maybe there will be a lot of pro-gun military in those absentee ballots!

When do you think we will know?

ufcfanvt

imported post

I voted for Cucc and I'm very glad. Don't agree w/ him on everything, but I met him at the Chantilly gun show when I was volunteering at the VCDL booth.
It's hard not to vote for a politician who goes to Gun Shows these days.

VApatriot

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
VCDL President wrote:
I'm not sure they have counted absentee ballots yet.
Hopefully his 91 vote lead is enough to keep him ahead. Maybe there will be a lot of pro-gun military in those absentee ballots!

When do you think we will know?

I know of at least two absentee votes for Ken. In a race this close I know they will be a big help.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

I have now learned that the absentee ballots were included in the final total. So Cuccinelli has won, but there will be a recount without doubt and that could change the election, of course.

longwatch

imported post

Recount decision awaits in 37th Senate District

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Democrat Janet Oleszek will decide later this month whether to seek a recount in Tuesday's closest legislative race.
Complete but unofficial totals show Oleszek finishing 91 votes behind Republican Sen. Kenneth Cuccinelli out of 37,101 cast in the 37th Senate District. That's less than one-fourth of a percentage point, and entitles her to seek a recount at state expense.
An automatic canvass of the results in the 37th Senate District race won't finish until Friday.
The State Board of Elections certifies the results of Tueday's House and Senate races November 26. Candidates who trail by 1 percentage point or less have until December 6th to request a recount.
© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Repeater

imported post

From The Mason Conservative:

Last Man Standing

It seems as if Ken Cuccinelli has pulled of a miracle. We use to joke during the campaign that if we could save one of them, it would be Ken. And that attitude gives an insight into the kind of loyalty and respect Cuccinelli has built up among Republicans and conservatives. I truly, to this day, believe that the votes are there in Fairfax County for Republicans. He finds them. And the way he finds them is that, of all the candidates Republicans ran, he has the most moral clarity of everyone. In a way, he ran the least political race. He said, to paraphrase, "this is me, this is what I am and this is what I fight for. But remember, I've been there for you when you've needed me on your local concerns."

As it is, Cuccinelli has survived. Again. And it just made this election sooooo much easier to accept. So now that Ken is the last Republican senator in Fairfax, what is his future? Does Ken have a place with the upper-echelon of Republican leaders in Virignia?

Tomahawk

imported post

Repeater wrote:

Last Man Standing

It seems as if Ken Cuccinelli has pulled of a miracle. We use to joke during the campaign that if we could save one of them, it would be Ken. And that attitude gives an insight into the kind of loyalty and respect Cuccinelli has built up among Republicans and conservatives. I truly, to this day, believe that the votes are there in Fairfax County for Republicans. He finds them. And the way he finds them is that, of all the candidates Republicans ran, he has the most moral clarity of everyone. In a way, he ran the least political race. He said, to paraphrase, "this is me, this is what I am and this is what I fight for. But remember, I've been there for you when you've needed me on your local concerns."

As it is, Cuccinelli has survived. Again. And it just made this election sooooo much easier to accept. So now that Ken is the last Republican senator in Fairfax, what is his future? Does Ken have a place with the upper-echelon of Republican leaders in Virignia?
Well, let's be honest, now. Cucinelli did run attack ads agianst his opponent in which one of her remarks was taken out of context and played over and over to discredit her("I don't have specific plans.."). Now maybe she deserved it and maybe not, but that is not the high road and it does no one any good to pretend it is.

Good for him for winning.

Bulldog1967

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Repeater wrote:

Last Man Standing

Well, let's be honest, now. Cucinelli did run attack ads agianst his opponent in which one of her remarks was taken out of context and played over and over to discredit her ("I don't have specific plans.."). Now maybe she deserved it and maybe not, but that is not the high road and it does no one any good to pretend it is.

Good for him for winning.

Well, having worked in the industry doing both positive AND negative ads, let me tell you, running negative ads WORKS. if it didn't they wouldn't run them. Its that simple.

You can take the "high road" all you want, but if your campaign refuses to run negative ads, you will get buried.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
So In Fairfax County we Gain a Seat in Peterson, retain Cuccinelli, but lose O'Brien. O'Brien was the only senate Sponsor of the "Albo Fees".

We got Vogel to replace Potts in The Western Part of Virginia and she is 100% Behind us.
I think we should think of the election in terms of what it means to the Republican Senate caucus - that caucus just lost 2 anti-gun Senators, and gained 2 pro-gun Senators. The caucus should now be more pro-gun, and ready to move some bills, with some help from pro-gun DEMS Petersen, Deeds, and Reynolds, and Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling to break ties!

VApatriot

imported post

Mike wrote:
Virginiaplanter wrote:

I think we should think of the election in terms of what it means to the Republican Senate caucus - that caucus just lost 2 anti-gun Senators, and gained 2 pro-gun Senators. The caucus should now be more pro-gun, and ready to move some bills, with some help from pro-gun DEMS Petersen, Deeds, and Reynolds, and Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling to break ties!
If I am not mistaken, the only problem we may stillhave is that the Dems nowdecide who is put on what committees, right? Of course we really didn't get a lot of help with the Repubs picking either.

ufcfanvt

imported post

Check out the debates btwn the two on youtube. She really didn't have any specific plans on any issue, nor did she answer most of her questions directly.
She's also been quite happy to take his statements and votes out of context so I believe she deserved every attack she got. :D

Repeater

imported post

Mike wrote:
I agree, Mike.

This is a war, a civil war. This election outcome is also a long-term investment. Davis was so awful, she wasn't even a RINO; more of an apostate. And that's assuming she even believed in Reagan-style Republican principles to begin with. Perhaps a doubtful assumption.

Either the R Party stands for principle, or it stands for nothing.

longwatch

imported post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/14/AR2007111401215_pf.html

Oleszek to Seek Recount in Close Va. Legislative Race

By Chris L. Jenkins
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 14, 2007; 1:31 PM

The tightest legislative race of the year in Virginia, for a state Senate district in Fairfax County, is headed into overtime.
Trailing by a quarter of a percentage point in unofficial returns from the Nov. 6 election, Democrat Janet S. Oleszek announced today that she will seek a recount of more than 37,000 votes cast in her contest against Sen. Ken Cuccinelli II (R). Ninety-two votes separate the two candidates.
State law allows the Democrat to request a recount at state expense because of the narrow margin.
"This was a hard fought campaign and it's important that we see the process through. Every Fairfax resident should know that their vote was counted properly. So, we're following the necessary procedures to make sure that happens," Oleszek said in a statement.
In last week's election, Democrats took control of the Senate by gaining at least four seats. Their majority in the coming legislative session will be 21 seats out of 40 in chamber, or 22 if a recount shows that Oleszek prevailed. Republicans kept control of the House of Delegates.
Oleszek's campaign manager, Jonathan Murray, said today a formal recount request will be filed immediately after the state Board of Elections certifies the vote this month.
A Cuccinelli victory would enable Republicans to keep one Senate seat from Fairfax and help solidify the conservative bloc in the chamber. Cuccinelli has said he is confident that his lead will not be reversed.