• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cops writing cops..."Professional Courtesy?"

dng

State Researcher
imported post

This actually didn't surprise me a bit. I've heard it my whole life from LEOs. Right or wrong, it happens quite often.

massltca

imported post

I just took a look at this website and its outrageous!!!:cuss:Cops are obliged to follow the same laws as the rest of us. I cannot stand this attitude of entitlement. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:They don't deserve to get a break when they break the law.

occva

imported post

What a bunch of whining little pansies. ( The ones crying about not getting a pass. )These assholes should have to pay double for the ticket and the points on their insurance. ( Again, the ones crying. BOO HOO )

Last speeding ticket I got was 67 in a 65. That officer was truly a DICK as they like to call them. ( That officer (singular) was a DICK!!! )

Edited to not blanket all law enforcement

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Just remember, it is not wise, fair, or right to holdan entiregroup of people (no matter who or what they are) responsible for the actions or comments of a small group.

Relative to this topic: Not all LEOs are bad, so it is not right to issue blanket statements slandering all law enforcement.

SIGguy229

imported post

WOW...I've never heard such whining from IL, NY, NJ, MA--all states where POs are allegedly worshipped...because they are above the law.

Boo hoo....join the rest of us

LEO 229

imported post

Have I stopped cops and let them go?

The answerequals "have I stopped citizens and let them go"

Let me make it easy. YES! :p

Have I written cops? YES! :shock:

Have I let beautiful women go? YES! :D

Have I not let beautiful women? YES! :?

Just like a any other motorist.... I get to decide if I want to let you go or not. Attitude = Ticket!

Do some cops take great pride and brag about writing cops? Yes!! VA Troopers are known for this.

expvideo

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Have I stopped cops and let them go?

The answerequals "have I stopped citizens and let them go"

Let me make it easy. YES! :p

Have I written cops? YES! :shock:

Have I let beautiful women go? YES! :D

Have I not let beautiful women? YES! :?

Just like a any other motorist.... I get to decide if I want to let you go or not. Attitude = Ticket!

Do some cops take great pride and brag about writing cops? Yes!! VA Troopers are known for this.
I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but thank you for doing what you do. We need more honest cops like you. I'm starting to think VA might be a nice place to live.

Tomahawk

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
The best was that story you told us about the Jersey cops speeding home from Katrina who got stopped on I-81 in Virginia for doing like a buck or so, and got all P-O'd that they didn't get a pass. And yet, I have gotten a pass from the VSP.

Given my knowledge of Jersey cops and your statement about attitude = ticket, it all makes sense. And it earns cool points for the VSP.

vtme_grad98

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Well, at least the state troopers are consistent jackasses to everyone. Sadly, I doubt they'd hold fellow state troopers to the same standard. I see too many state troopers blantantly violate traffic laws (including reckless driving with no lights or sirens on the interstate) in order to get to their speed trap spot as fast as possible to believe that they really have any respect for the law, or the safety of their fellow citizens.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

What a ridiculous website... Are they angry because of the puny fines for most tickets, or the principle of it all? This is just cops wanting to hold themselves to a higher standard than civilians while off duty, sure they deserve a warning just like other citizens if it is a first offense, or its been a while, or if it was minor, but why spend time arguing about it.

I would like to see what would happen if one of these idiots tried to use this "cops 4 cops" argument in court to fight off the ticket.

massltca

imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Well, at least the state troopers are consistent jackasses to everyone. Sadly, I doubt they'd hold fellow state troopers to the same standard. I see too many state troopers blantantly violate traffic laws (including reckless driving with no lights or sirens on the interstate) in order to get to their speed trap spot as fast as possible to believe that they really have any respect for the law, or the safety of their fellow citizens.
I know what you mean, a Mass State trooper almost ran me of the road when I was getting off the highway and he cut off a tractor trailer too. Cops are definetly not the golden standard for good driving.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
...I get to decide if I want to let you go or not. Attitude = Ticket!...

Ok, I'm curious, how is this right? Why do 'warnings' even exist? Either you break a law or you don't. If you get caught, you should be punished, period. Cops shouldn't have the power to decide whether you deserve punishment or not, especially based on your attitude, which has NOTHING to do with committing a crime!

Now please don't start with the "well have YOU ever accidentally did something that was technically illegal?" crap. Yes, I have. I've purposefully broken the law, too. I deserved punishment for both, and lord knows I got it lol. If a law exists that keeps catching people doing something accidentally, well maybe the law needs to be changed.

Oh and I am soooooo tired of women getting off because they have big boobs (or some other attractive feature). Every other cute girl I meet talks about how they speed constantly and have gotten pulled over a lot but never got a ticket. That's absolute crap.

Anyway that site is absolutely crap, too. All I read was the part about the cop complaining that he got clocked doing 84 in a 65 and didn't understand why he got a ticket. WTF?!

Did anyone elsesee the American Ganster movie yet? This is the same crap. The one cop in the station that does the right thing gets screwed over by the other cops. Absolutely ridiculous.

/rant

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Re: The Public Speaks...
Posted: 10/9/07 4:52 am dep214, how did you ever get a badge with such execrable* language skills? Didn't they have a written exam?
You had at least 27 errors in only 94 words, dude--almost 30%! (Particularly stupid is using "know" in place of "no".)

gothikchile13 did answer you; you just didn't like the answer. And, if you truly didn't care what s/he thought, you wouldn't be posting replies; therefore you do care, at least a little; so you're wrong there too.

You said,
Quote:[line]we are going to take care of each other whether you like it or not.[line]​
But that's exactly the problem. At issue is the contention that police officers should be exempted from the same laws that everyone else must obey. When you took your oath to support/defend/enforce the law, was there a clause that said "except where such enforcement might hurt an officer's feelings"? Did you mentally add such a clause if there was not an explicit one?

I was glad to see your last sentence, though:
Quote:[line]well from now on all citizens will no longer get a pass.[line]​
Since you and your fellow officers are citizens too, this means that you and they will no longer get such a pass. Thanks for your commitment to fair and just enforcement; we need more police with that attitude!

(Now, go ahead and flame me the way you did gothikchile13. If you do, it will be amusing--and kind o' sad....)
-----------------------

*Go look it up. I'll even help you (isn't that nice of me?): dictionary.reference.com/.../execrable Edited by: Argent47 at: 10/9/07 4:53 am
Re: -

AbNo

imported post

Emailed the site owner...

"So.... what I've gathered is... people should become cops so they can get out of traffic tickets?

I mean, am I reading this correctly? It looks like that's what you are suggesting here.

Never mind standards of behavior, catching bad guys, keeping the public (at large) safe. Be a cop, speed for free!"

imperialism2024

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Emailed the site owner...

"So.... what I've gathered is... people should become cops so they can get out of traffic tickets?

I mean, am I reading this correctly? It looks like that's what you are suggesting here.

Never mind standards of behavior, catching bad guys, keeping the public (at large) safe. Be a cop, speed for free!"

That's just the tip of the iceberg, really. The getting-out-of-traffic-tickets is just a symptom of the larger disease of "L"EOs perpetuating themselves as a superior class of people.

The only way to treat the situation as anything other than an elitist disregard for the second-class, i.e. non-"L"EOs, is to argue that police officers have more driver "training" than is mandated by states for "civilian" drivers' licenses, and thus they are exempt from speeding. The only problem is that private "civilians" whose driver training meets or exceeds that of a police officer are not exempt from speeding persecution, er, prosecution.

I generally break down cops into three categories:
1) Those who genuinely want to enforce and uphold the law in the interest of ensuring justice.
2) Those who believe that being a cop is the best way to enforce their personal moral beliefs onto others
3) Those who want to appear superior to other people and get off on their ability to intimidate others.
And while all three groups may be susceptible to giving breaks to cops for speeding (and other crimes), the reasoning is vastly different for each.