Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: 8 Dead in Finland School Shooting THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071107/D8SOUDG80.html



    TUUSULA, Finland (AP) - An 18-year-old gunman killed eight people at a high school in southern Finland on Wednesday, then shot himself but survived, police said.
    Police said the gunman was taken to hospital with serious wounds and they had the situation "under control" after they surrounded Jokela High School in Tuusula, some 30 miles north of the capital, Helsinki.
    It was the first known school shooting in Finland, where gun ownership is fairly common by European standards, but shootings are rare.
    THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

    TUUSULA, Finland - An 18-year-old man opened fire at a high school in southern Finland on Wednesday, leaving at least seven people dead and 11 wounded, officials said.
    Officials did not say if the shooter was among the dead or wounded, but police said the situation was "under control" after they surrounded the high school in Tuusula, some 30 miles north of the capital, Helsinki.
    "It's at least seven dead," medical response leader Eero Hirvensalo told The Associated Press. One person was "severely injured" while 10 people had minor injuries, he said.
    It was the first known school shooting in Finland, where gun ownership is fairly common by European standards, but shootings are rare.
    A local official said earlier that students remained inside the school, but police did not say whether the gunman was holding hostages. Police also did not confirm the number of victims.



    Kim Kiuru, a teacher at the school, said the principal announced over the public address system just before noon that all students should remain in their classrooms.
    "I stayed in the corridor to listen to more instructions having locked my classroom door," Kiuru told the YLE radio station. "After that I saw the gunman running with what appeared to be a small-caliber handgun in his hand through the doors toward me after which I escaped to the corridor downstairs and ran in the opposite direction."
    Kiuru said he saw a woman's body as he fled the building.
    "Then my pupils shouted at me out of the windows to ask what they should do and I told them to jump out of the windows ... and all my pupils were saved," Kiuru said.
    More than 400 students, ages of 12 to 18, were enrolled at Jokela, said Heidi Hagman, assistant to the Tuusula municipality director.
    Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen described the situation as "extremely tragic" and said the government would hold an emergency meeting.




  2. #2
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071107/D8SOUDG80.html


    TUUSULA, Finland (AP) - An 18-year-old gunman killed eight people at a high school in southern Finland on Wednesday, then shot himself but survived, police said.
    Police said the gunman was taken to hospital with serious wounds and they had the situation "under control" after they surrounded Jokela High School in Tuusula, some 30 miles north of the capital, Helsinki.
    It was the first known school shooting in Finland, where gun ownership is fairly common by European standards, but shootings are rare.
    THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

    TUUSULA, Finland - An 18-year-old man opened fire at a high school in southern Finland on Wednesday, leaving at least seven people dead and 11 wounded, officials said.
    Officials did not say if the shooter was among the dead or wounded, but police said the situation was "under control" after they surrounded the high school in Tuusula, some 30 miles north of the capital, Helsinki.
    "It's at least seven dead," medical response leader Eero Hirvensalo told The Associated Press. One person was "severely injured" while 10 people had minor injuries, he said.
    It was the first known school shooting in Finland, where gun ownership is fairly common by European standards, but shootings are rare.
    A local official said earlier that students remained inside the school, but police did not say whether the gunman was holding hostages. Police also did not confirm the number of victims.

    Kim Kiuru, a teacher at the school, said the principal announced over the public address system just before noon that all students should remain in their classrooms.
    "I stayed in the corridor to listen to more instructions having locked my classroom door," Kiuru told the YLE radio station. "After that I saw the gunman running with what appeared to be a small-caliber handgun in his hand through the doors toward me after which I escaped to the corridor downstairs and ran in the opposite direction."
    Kiuru said he saw a woman's body as he fled the building.
    "Then my pupils shouted at me out of the windows to ask what they should do and I told them to jump out of the windows ... and all my pupils were saved," Kiuru said.
    More than 400 students, ages of 12 to 18, were enrolled at Jokela, said Heidi Hagman, assistant to the Tuusula municipality director.
    Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen described the situation as "extremely tragic" and said the government would hold an emergency meeting.


    Thanks to Doug for being our link to Google News.

    As Doug implies, this story represents an emergency.

    We gotta start spinning this story for our own side quick--BEFORE the antis and MMMers get hold of it.

    How's this for starters?:

    1. Tuusula proves that European gun bans never work!

    2. 8 students and faculty dead--all because Finland does not allow concealed carry on campus!

    3. See? The UN wants to ban all small armsthroughout the world, including Finland? The UN is to blame!

    4. If the UN cannot handle measly little Finland, how can it possibly ban guns in bigger countries!

    5. Where is Wayne LaPierre on this one? Enjoying his big fat salary while children are getting shot up!

    6. All these shootings in Finland--all due to N(egotiate) R(ights) A(way)'sCompromising!

    7. You know there was a time when people there were real Finns. Now they are Finks.

    8. Where is Sarah Brady on this one? Where are the Lie-Iners? Where are the MMMers!? Plotting strategy to disarms even more people?

    We gotta pick one or two themes and then go with it. If we act fast we can get in on today's news cycle. Hmmm, maybe blame Giulani somehow? (What's his nationality?)Or get a statement from Ron Paul? Oh, the possibilities are endless....

    Doug, whaddya think we should do?





  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,882

    Post imported post

    Ironic that in a nation with such a high suicide rate, this presumably motivated guy botches his own killing.

    -ljp

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Legba wrote:
    Ironic that in a nation with such a high suicide rate, this presumably motivated guy botches his own killing.

    -ljp
    Well, a pro-gun argument that I've always kept to myself is that guns make murders more humane to the victim... better to get shot in the chest and die in a few seconds than stabbed 75 times and die after an agonizingly long time. But, once again, not an argument I make in front of anti-gun people...

    There is a fairly high civilian gun ownership rate in Finland, though. Highest per capita in the world after the US and Yemen.

  5. #5
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Well, a pro-gun argument that I've always kept to myself is that guns make murders more humane to the victim... better to get shot in the chest and die in a few seconds than stabbed 75 times and die after an agonizingly long time. But, once again, not an argument I make in front of anti-gun people...
    Yep, keep that one under wraps.

    Not a good argument to admit authorship of, I think.You might even consider, not that you are forced to, to delete it from your post. It, um, loses something in the reading...

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Well, a pro-gun argument that I've always kept to myself is that guns make murders more humane to the victim... better to get shot in the chest and die in a few seconds than stabbed 75 times and die after an agonizingly long time. But, once again, not an argument I make in front of anti-gun people...
    Yep, keep that one under wraps.

    Not a good argument to admit authorship of, I think.You might even consider, not that you are forced to, to delete it from your post. It, um, loses something in the reading...
    Oh, I don't mind admitting authorship of it. As I said, I don't expect it to be received well, but quite frankly, if I were to be killed, I'd rather it be quick than slow. It's humanitarianism.

    ETA: And quite frankly, moving a post hopeless off-topic in 4 posts is ridiculous.

    On a more related note, Wikipedia (sorry) implies that Finland makes it very difficult to legally own a gun... interesting given the high rate of gun ownership. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Finland

  7. #7
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Well, a pro-gun argument that I've always kept to myself is that guns make murders more humane to the victim... better to get shot in the chest and die in a few seconds than stabbed 75 times and die after an agonizingly long time. But, once again, not an argument I make in front of anti-gun people...
    Yep, keep that one under wraps.

    Not a good argument to admit authorship of, I think.You might even consider, not that you are forced to, to delete it from your post. It, um, loses something in the reading...
    Oh, I don't mind admitting authorship of it. As I said, I don't expect it to be received well, but quite frankly, if I were to be killed, I'd rather it be quick than slow. It's humanitarianism.
    No, your argument is change-the-subjectism. (aka straw man)



  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    Wow Hank that was a pretty absurd and off topic post you had there. Your disdain for others around here really shows.

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

  10. #10
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    off topic you want to try again?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote: Maybe a better solution to solve mass shootings in schools is to ban video cameras.



  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    Or ban children.

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    Did you all notice the deed was done with a .22LR SIG Mosquito?

  14. #14
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    Here is a video from youtube, this guy TheAmazingAtheist is responding to Pekka-Eric Auvinen (aka NaturalSelector89, Natural Selector, Sturmgeist89 and Sturmgeist) the Finnish killer. Pekka was active on YT but his account and videos have since been deleted.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGscnCn9fNY

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    On a more related note, Wikipedia (sorry) implies that Finland makes it very difficult to legally own a gun... interesting given the high rate of gun ownership. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Finland
    Please don't apologize for using a convenient secondary source. There are few with the dedication and leasure to be conversant with primary sources so the secondaries give useful concise summaries for those that will eschew pre-digested vapid pablum. ETA: "Believe nothing you read or hear unless you validate it yourself or it fits your pre-existing world view." (Neal Boortz)

    I live in an Icelandic (the largest)/Norwegian community (Gemeinschaft) and had no idea of 'Gun politics in Finland'. So much to read, so little time - so much "vapid pablum" (a phrase from this AM's lamestream media).

    Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP *******

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mag-bayonettes!, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,407

    Post imported post

    nakedshoplifter wrote:
    Here is a video from youtube, this guy TheAmazingAtheist is responding to Pekka-Eric Auvinen (aka NaturalSelector89, Natural Selector, Sturmgeist89 and Sturmgeist) the Finnish killer. Pekka was active on YT but his account and videos have since been deleted.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGscnCn9fNY
    Flame wars are just as boring to hear as they are to read... > )

    It is however interesting to listen to this guy's downward spiral.
    -Unrequited

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    http://www.newsdaily.com/TopNews/UPI...ings-1stld.xml


    NORRISTOWN, Pa., Nov. 13 (UPI) -- A troubled American teenager communicated online with the Finnish teen responsible for shooting eight people at his school, a prosecutor confirmed Tuesday.

    But Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce Castor said Dillon Cossey, 14, of Plymouth Township, Pa., and Pekka-Eric Auvinen corresponded by instant messages, so the content cannot be retrieved, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported. Cossey pleaded guilty to planning a shootout at Plymouth Whitemarsh High School in an agreement requiring him to get psychiatric treatment.

    Cossey told his attorney he had been in touch with the Finnish teen, discussing video games and the 1999 Columbine school shootings in Colorado.

    Also Tuesday, the Internet teen networking site MySpace.com said it is cooperating with Finnish authorities investigating the recent school massacre. But the company said in a statement that it knows of no connection to Auvinen because a MySpace page, which has been taken down, proved to have been put up by an imposter.

    Auvinen fatally shot himself himself Nov. 7 after killing eight others at Tuusula High School in Jokela, Finland.

    Copyright 2007 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •