• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

8 Dead in Finland School Shooting THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071107/D8SOUDG80.html

[font="Verdana,Sans-serif"][font="Verdana,Sans-serif"]

[font="Verdana,Sans-serif"] TUUSULA, Finland (AP) - An 18-year-old gunman killed eight people at a high school in southern Finland on Wednesday, then shot himself but survived, police said.
Police said the gunman was taken to hospital with serious wounds and they had the situation "under control" after they surrounded Jokela High School in Tuusula, some 30 miles north of the capital, Helsinki.
It was the first known school shooting in Finland, where gun ownership is fairly common by European standards, but shootings are rare.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
[/font]
TUUSULA, Finland - An 18-year-old man opened fire at a high school in southern Finland on Wednesday, leaving at least seven people dead and 11 wounded, officials said.
Officials did not say if the shooter was among the dead or wounded, but police said the situation was "under control" after they surrounded the high school in Tuusula, some 30 miles north of the capital, Helsinki.
"It's at least seven dead," medical response leader Eero Hirvensalo told The Associated Press. One person was "severely injured" while 10 people had minor injuries, he said.
It was the first known school shooting in Finland, where gun ownership is fairly common by European standards, but shootings are rare.
A local official said earlier that students remained inside the school, but police did not say whether the gunman was holding hostages. Police also did not confirm the number of victims.
[/font]

Kim Kiuru, a teacher at the school, said the principal announced over the public address system just before noon that all students should remain in their classrooms.
"I stayed in the corridor to listen to more instructions having locked my classroom door," Kiuru told the YLE radio station. "After that I saw the gunman running with what appeared to be a small-caliber handgun in his hand through the doors toward me after which I escaped to the corridor downstairs and ran in the opposite direction."
Kiuru said he saw a woman's body as he fled the building.
"Then my pupils shouted at me out of the windows to ask what they should do and I told them to jump out of the windows ... and all my pupils were saved," Kiuru said.
More than 400 students, ages of 12 to 18, were enrolled at Jokela, said Heidi Hagman, assistant to the Tuusula municipality director.
Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen described the situation as "extremely tragic" and said the government would hold an emergency meeting.

[/font]

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071107/D8SOUDG80.html
[font=Verdana,Sans-serif][font=Verdana,Sans-serif]

[font=Verdana,Sans-serif]TUUSULA, Finland (AP) - An 18-year-old gunman killed eight people at a high school in southern Finland on Wednesday, then shot himself but survived, police said.
Police said the gunman was taken to hospital with serious wounds and they had the situation "under control" after they surrounded Jokela High School in Tuusula, some 30 miles north of the capital, Helsinki.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
[/font]
TUUSULA, Finland - An 18-year-old man opened fire at a high school in southern Finland on Wednesday, leaving at least seven people dead and 11 wounded, officials said.
Officials did not say if the shooter was among the dead or wounded, but police said the situation was "under control" after they surrounded the high school in Tuusula, some 30 miles north of the capital, Helsinki.
"It's at least seven dead," medical response leader Eero Hirvensalo told The Associated Press. One person was "severely injured" while 10 people had minor injuries, he said.
A local official said earlier that students remained inside the school, but police did not say whether the gunman was holding hostages. Police also did not confirm the number of victims.
[/font]
Kim Kiuru, a teacher at the school, said the principal announced over the public address system just before noon that all students should remain in their classrooms.
"I stayed in the corridor to listen to more instructions having locked my classroom door," Kiuru told the YLE radio station. "After that I saw the gunman running with what appeared to be a small-caliber handgun in his hand through the doors toward me after which I escaped to the corridor downstairs and ran in the opposite direction."
Kiuru said he saw a woman's body as he fled the building.
"Then my pupils shouted at me out of the windows to ask what they should do and I told them to jump out of the windows ... and all my pupils were saved," Kiuru said.
More than 400 students, ages of 12 to 18, were enrolled at Jokela, said Heidi Hagman, assistant to the Tuusula municipality director.
Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen described the situation as "extremely tragic" and said the government would hold an emergency meeting.
[/font]

Thanks to Doug for being our link to Google News. :)

As Doug implies, this story represents an emergency.

We gotta start spinning this story for our own side quick--BEFORE the antis and MMMers get hold of it.

How's this for starters?:

1. Tuusula proves that European gun bans never work!

2. 8 students and faculty dead--all because Finland does not allow concealed carry on campus!

3. See? The UN wants to ban all small armsthroughout the world, including Finland? The UN is to blame!

4. If the UN cannot handle measly little Finland, how can it possibly ban guns in bigger countries!

5. Where is Wayne LaPierre on this one? Enjoying his big fat salary while children are getting shot up!

6. All these shootings in Finland--all due to N(egotiate) R(ights) A(way)'sCompromising!

7. You know there was a time when people there were real Finns. Now they are Finks.

8. Where is Sarah Brady on this one? Where are the Lie-Iners? Where are the MMMers!? Plotting strategy to disarms even more people?

We gotta pick one or two themes and then go with it. If we act fast we can get in on today's news cycle. Hmmm, maybe blame Giulani somehow? (What's his nationality?)Or get a statement from Ron Paul? Oh, the possibilities are endless....

Doug, whaddya think we should do?

Legba

imported post

Ironic that in a nation with such a high suicide rate, this presumably motivated guy botches his own killing.

-ljp

imperialism2024

imported post

Legba wrote:
Ironic that in a nation with such a high suicide rate, this presumably motivated guy botches his own killing.

-ljp

Well, a pro-gun argument that I've always kept to myself is that guns make murders more humane to the victim... better to get shot in the chest and die in a few seconds than stabbed 75 times and die after an agonizingly long time. But, once again, not an argument I make in front of anti-gun people...

There is a fairly high civilian gun ownership rate in Finland, though. Highest per capita in the world after the US and Yemen.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Well, a pro-gun argument that I've always kept to myself is that guns make murders more humane to the victim... better to get shot in the chest and die in a few seconds than stabbed 75 times and die after an agonizingly long time. But, once again, not an argument I make in front of anti-gun people...

Yep, keep that one under wraps.

Not a good argument to admit authorship of, I think.You might even consider, not that you are forced to, to delete it from your post. It, um, loses something in the reading...

imperialism2024

imported post

HankT wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

Not a good argument to admit authorship of, I think.You might even consider, not that you are forced to, to delete it from your post. It, um, loses something in the reading...
Oh, I don't mind admitting authorship of it. As I said, I don't expect it to be received well, but quite frankly, if I were to be killed, I'd rather it be quick than slow. It's humanitarianism. :lol:

ETA: And quite frankly, moving a post hopeless off-topic in 4 posts is ridiculous.

On a more related note, Wikipedia (sorry) implies that Finland makes it very difficult to legally own a gun... interesting given the high rate of gun ownership. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Finland

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
HankT wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

Oh, I don't mind admitting authorship of it. As I said, I don't expect it to be received well, but quite frankly, if I were to be killed, I'd rather it be quick than slow. It's humanitarianism. :lol:

No, your argument is change-the-subjectism. (aka straw man)

;)

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Wow Hank that was a pretty absurd and off topic post you had there. Your disdain for others around here really shows.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
On a more related note, Wikipedia (sorry) implies that Finland makes it very difficult to legally own a gun... interesting given the high rate of gun ownership. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Finland

Please don't apologize for using a convenient secondary source. There are few with the dedication and leasure to be conversant with primary sources so the secondaries give useful concise summaries for those that will eschew pre-digested vapid pablum. ETA: "Believe nothing you read or hear unless you validate it yourself or it fits your pre-existing world view." (Neal Boortz)

I live in an Icelandic (the largest)/Norwegian community (Gemeinschaft) and had no idea of 'Gun politics in Finland'. So much to read, so little time - so much "vapid pablum" (a phrase from this AM's lamestream media).

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

unrequited

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Here is a video from youtube, this guy TheAmazingAtheist is responding to Pekka-Eric Auvinen (aka NaturalSelector89, Natural Selector, Sturmgeist89 and Sturmgeist) the Finnish killer. Pekka was active on YT but his account and videos have since been deleted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGscnCn9fNY
Flame wars are just as boring to hear as they are to read... > )

It is however interesting to listen to this guy's downward spiral.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

http://www.newsdaily.com/TopNews/UPI-1-20071113-23060900-bc-us-schoolshootings-1stld.xml

NORRISTOWN, Pa., Nov. 13 (UPI) -- A troubled American teenager communicated online with the Finnish teen responsible for shooting eight people at his school, a prosecutor confirmed Tuesday.

But Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce Castor said Dillon Cossey, 14, of Plymouth Township, Pa., and Pekka-Eric Auvinen corresponded by instant messages, so the content cannot be retrieved, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported. Cossey pleaded guilty to planning a shootout at Plymouth Whitemarsh High School in an agreement requiring him to get psychiatric treatment.

Cossey told his attorney he had been in touch with the Finnish teen, discussing video games and the 1999 Columbine school shootings in Colorado.

Also Tuesday, the Internet teen networking site MySpace.com said it is cooperating with Finnish authorities investigating the recent school massacre. But the company said in a statement that it knows of no connection to Auvinen because a MySpace page, which has been taken down, proved to have been put up by an imposter.

Auvinen fatally shot himself himself Nov. 7 after killing eight others at Tuusula High School in Jokela, Finland.

Copyright 2007 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.