• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Story on KOMO about bus driver with firearm on bus

joshmmm

imported post

They make a huge leap that the pot was hers. She is driving a school bus! Perhaps one of the kids left it there? If they find her fingerprints on it, fine, but, until then, we have no proof or reason to believe the pot was hers whatsoever. In fact, it would seem that the police likely searched around her seat immediately upon her arrest--the fact that it took a subsequent search makes it seem likely she had no idea it was on the bus and was, in fact, left by a student. (time will make this information available, though I doubt we'll see a news story and we'll probably have to do some digging...)

j2l3

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
You really want someone who is intoxicated and armed driving a school bus?
First off, you're making quite a leap by saying that she was intoxicated. I can have a six pack in my back seat. That doesn't mean I'm drunk. Nothing in the story indicates that she was impaired in any way. (edit: she was intoxicated when they arrested her, but there's no proof that she was while she was driving).

Secondly, I have absolutely no problem with her being armed, just as I have no problem with you being armed. She has as much right to self defense as anyone else.

The Seattle Times has a little more information on this arrest:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004001227_bus08m.html

A school-bus driver who was hailed as a hero six years ago when she was credited with saving the lives of 22 children has been arrested after authorities said they found marijuana and a loaded handgun on her bus.

Cheryl Mooring, 52, of Spanaway, Pierce County, was arrested Tuesday afternoon just before picking up children at the end of the school day, said county sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer. He said her blood-alcohol content in a breath test was 0.114 percent — above the state's legal limit of 0.08 percent.

The arrest came after Bethel School District officials received a phone call from someone reporting that the longtime bus driver had a gun in the vehicle, according to court papers filed Wednesday in Pierce County Superior Court. The tipster, identified in court papers as someone who lives with Mooring, said the bus driver downed several glasses of wine and grabbed a gun before leaving the house. The tipster said Mooring appeared to be upset, court papers said.

District officials found Mooring parked in her bus outside a district facility that houses a program for special-needs students, said Mark Wenzel, district spokesman

School officials found a loaded .44-caliber handgun wrapped in a sock underneath Mooring's seat. The gun was loaded with six bullets, including a highly lethal hollow-point, court papers said.

Deputies later found several packaged baggies of marijuana and a glass pipe stashed in the bus first-aid kit, court documents said.

Mooring told investigators that the gun was hers but that she didn't know why it was there, according to court papers. She suggested it may have been "planted," court papers said.

Mooring was booked into the Pierce County Jail for investigation of drug possession, unlawful possession of a firearm and possession of a firearm on school property. She was not arrested for investigation of drunken driving because she wasn't driving when deputies found her, Troyer said.

Wenzel said Mooring has been placed on unpaid administrative leave. She has been a bus driver in the district for 16 years and has had a "clean record."

"We do random drug testing of 10 bus drivers every month. We cycle through the whole department every 16 months," Wenzel said. "She was thought of well. We're shocked."

Mooring was honored by the State Patrol and the Bethel School District for quick thinking after a Ford Bronco smashed head-on into her bus Jan. 8, 2001. The Bronco driver was killed.

One of Mooring's legs was pinned beneath the dashboard of the burning bus and her vision was impaired by smoke, but she pulled herself free, felt her way through the bus and counted the children by touch. She led all 22 to safety.

Jennifer Sullivan: 206-464-8294 or jensullivan@seattletimes.com

joshmmm

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
The Seattle Times has a little more information on this arrest:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004001227_bus08m.html
county sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer. He said her blood-alcohol content in a breath test was 0.114 percent — above the state's legal limit of 0.08 percent.

Assuming she has a CDL, the alcohol limit is .04 no matter what vehicle (even her personal car). Not all buses require a CDL, she could have been driving a short bus--but most districts require a CDL regardless of whether the law would for that particular bus. I have a friend who works at a school and is going through the CDL process so he can help out on field trips or if a driver is sick. (small school, he is the director of IT).

compmanio365

imported post

including a highly lethal hollow-point
Oh gods! Not the HIGHLY LETHAL hollow point bullet! Well, this just proves that only police should be allowed to carry just lethal instruments of death.......</sarcasm>

Puhleeease....see what I mean about liberal media? :quirky

BluesBear

imported post

including a highly lethal hollow-point

:cuss:
It's NOT lethaluntil it is fired AND it hits someone. While harmlessly resting inside the cylinder (or flying through open air only to rest in an inanimate backstop) it isno more nor no less dangerous than any of it's five non-hollow pointed brethren.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

David Boardman
Executive Editor
(206) 464-2205

This man is the executive editor of the Seattle Times. His email is dboardman@seattletimes.com I suggest emailing or phoning him about allowing that ridiculous and biased statement about hollowpoints through. The Times has a statewide audience. Media is market driven. News belongs on the news page and opinions belong on the opinion page. The opinion page is ofter geared towards the primary audience of a newspaper, but often will contain dissenting viewpoints in an interest to provide balaned views. If you let a newspaper know you want news without sensationalism and opinons only on the op ed page, someone will read or listen to your message.

Steve

BluesBear

imported post

School officials found a loaded .44-caliber handgun wrapped in a sock underneath Mooring's seat. The gun was loaded with six bullets, including a highly lethal hollow-point, court papers said.
So much for saying it was to protect the students. Hidden in a sock[suP]?[/suP] under the seat doesn't really allow easy access in an emergency.

Did the court papers really say, "loaded with six bullets, including a highly lethal hollow-point"? Or did they embelish/editorialize a bit?

heresolong

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
What school is this, is it in Blaine? Used to live up that way and I don't remember there being a trap team.......something new they've added in the last few years?
Meridian HS. And I don't know how old it is as I am new there.

GunnyG

imported post

Let me be the first to suggest that she claims PTSD stemming from the accident, and was self medicating for fear of losing her job if she sought psychiatric care on a L&I claim.