• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry, Banks in grocery stores

Preston1911

imported post

are there any legal concerns with open carry as I walk by within feet of the entrance of the bank insideAlbertson's, BECU at Safeway and WaMu at the Fred Meyer's?

just_a_car

imported post

Nope, walk right in and set up an account at BECU if you haven't already. They have great service and better rates than just about any other bank.

Agent 47

imported post

.45 1911 wrote:
are there any legal concerns with open carry as I walk by within feet of the entrance of the bank insideAlbertson's, BECU at Safeway and WaMu at the Fred Meyer's?
There are no legal concerns with open carry goinginside of banks in grocery stores or elsewhere, I do it all the time.

nofoa

imported post

Maybe we should sticky a post with all the washington handgun laws. Also post those training materials, and other state statute clarifications.

Preston1911

imported post

thank you for the responses, my ignorance. for some reason I always thought that banks were off limits. I always leave my weapon in the car when going into the bank.

thanks guys.

Agent 47

imported post

A lot of people assume the same. A couple years ago I walked into the Washington mutual in Lake Stevens passing a Snohomish county deputy standing behind a bush about thirty feet from the entrance. Seeing him perked my attention but it wasn't until I walked into the branch and saw everyone behind the counter and one man standing at the tellers booth that the alarm bells really started ringing. I immediately turned and walked back out the door I had come in through seemingly without the man at the counter noticing that I had ever entered. I was immediately grabbed by a deputy who had taken up a position by the door and hustled to a patrol car they told me the silent alarm had been tripped and proceeded to grill me about what I had seen in the bank. I didn't think about it until later but they had watched me walk right into the middle of what was presumably a robbery and hadn't tried to stop me:banghead::uhoh:

Anyway, all that to say I never even think about going into a bank unless I am throughly armed. Same goes for convenience stores and ATM's

heresolong

imported post

Just shows how oblivious I am. I probably would have walked over and got in line without noticing anything unusual until the guy actually robbed me or something.

nathan

imported post

When I first got my CC license I CC'd into my bank and was so nervous that someone would notice. Hehe.. now i OC in banks all the time without fear.

compmanio365

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
A lot of people assume the same. A couple years ago I walked into the Washington mutual in Lake Stevens passing a Snohomish county deputy standing behind a bush about thirty feet from the entrance. Seeing him perked my attention but it wasn't until I walked into the branch and saw everyone behind the counter and one man standing at the tellers booth that the alarm bells really started ringing. I immediately turned and walked back out the door I had come in through seemingly without the man at the counter noticing that I had ever entered. I was immediately grabbed by a deputy who had taken up a position by the door and hustled to a patrol car they told me the silent alarm had been tripped and proceeded to grill me about what I had seen in the bank. I didn't think about it until later but they had watched me walk right into the middle of what was presumably a robbery and hadn't tried to stop me:banghead::uhoh:

Anyway, all that to say I never even think about going into a bank unless I am throughly armed. Same goes for convenience stores and ATM's
I don't understand why the deputy let you walk in in the first place. If they knew what was going on inside, why did they let you just walk in?

joeroket

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Agent 47 wrote:

I don't understand why the deputy let you walk in in the first place. If they knew what was going on inside, why did they let you just walk in?
Because they didnt know if the guy inside had already saw him. If the perp had seen him and the police notified him to not go in it could have caused the robbery to become a hostage situation when the perp realized the police were outside. Remember it was a silent alarm. The perp had no way of knowing that it was tripped. The police wanted to get the guy to come out of the bank where they had more control over the situation.

j2l3

imported post

nofoa wrote:
Maybe we should sticky a post with all the washington handgun laws. Also post those training materials, and other state statute clarifications.

Welcome nofoa! The items you ask for are found right here.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/5335.html

I have asked to have it made a "sticky" but the Moderators don't want to do that for some reason.