• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How often have you been stopped?

Misguided Child

imported post

Ok, new guy here. I just learned last week from the guys at Sams' that OC was legal. So I've been reading all the info I can on this forum and decided I should probably get a holster with better retention then the IWB holsters I use for CC. So while I was at work I called Sams and asked the guy on the phone if he had any suggestions.

His reply was "You mean INSIDE the city limits?" "Huh, You can try that, it's legal, but expect to get stopped by every Police officer in town."

So, my question is how often have you been stopped while OC'ing?

Once a day? week? month? Considering the actual days you were carrying.

From my reading here it would seem to be rare, just occasional stories.

And does anybody know a local source for 8mm Mauser hunting loads with 190 gr. bullets?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
Ok, new guy here. I just learned last week from the guys at Sams' that OC was legal. So I've been reading all the info I can on this forum and decided I should probably get a holster with better retention then the IWB holsters I use for CC. So while I was at work I called Sams and asked the guy on the phone if he had any suggestions.

His reply was "You mean INSIDE the city limits?" "Huh, You can try that, it's legal, but expect to get stopped by every Police officer in town."

And does anybody know a local source for 8mm Mauser hunting loads with 190 gr. bullets?
Formal stop once out of probably 20 times or so. Had a cop just say "howdy" once in Seattle. Have walked by about a dozen cops or more OCing, mainly in Seattle. All in all pretty safe bet you won't get hassled.

For the mauser perhaps handloading would be the way to go. You can get a Lee Anniversery kit for around $89 and a set of dies probably for about $30 or so. Am planning to buy this same kit and start rolling my own.

Steve

Cue-Ball

imported post

I've never been stopped, even on the waterfront in Seattle. I think that having any sort of run in with the law is rare, and getting rarer as the departments become educated about the legality of openly carrying (thanks, Lonnie!).

Can't help you with the 8mm. Sorry.

gregma

imported post

I have also yet to be stopped. The incidents are getting rarer and rarer, however you still have to realize that there are LEOs out there who are either ignorant, or just dont care and will harass you. This will normally be no more than a couple of times before they are given a talk to by IA. But the chance is still there.
We are winning the battle of informing about the legality of OCing, however the war is still not won.

expvideo

imported post

I was stopped once and it was a scary experience, but I've had more cops ignore me than stop me. I OCed at the 4th of July parade in Carnation, and walked past the entire carnation/duvall police department. They stared and kept an eye on me for only a minute, but never said a thing. After that they ignored me completely.

Generally, I have no problems with the police. I carry training bulletins and I am very fluent in the law. The one time I was hassled, I was threatened and they wanted any reason they could find to arrest me (because I was seriously making them mad and not respecting their opinion on open carryas if it were law like they wanted), but I knew the law and they went as far as they could to find a reason to arrest me, and still were't able to. The one guy wanted to hit me and it was obvious. I walked away free and unarmed. I was never disarmed.

Knowing the law is a great shield from false arrest. Don't act suspicious and don't act like what you are doing is anything wrong or something to be ashamed of, and you'll be fine.

G27

imported post

Never been stopped, and I know the cops have seen it. You have nothing really to worry about as long as you verse yourself in the law and know what to do if something does happen.

compmanio365

imported post

By LEO, I've only been talked to once. Look further down the forum for that story, it was by Tacoma PD. But I was already "stopped" and was sitting down in fact. :D

Now private citizens are a different story. I've been stopped by private citizens asking about my sidearm quite a few times, some positivie encounters, some not so positive. It goes with the territory, and I treat every one of these encounters as a learning experience.

Agent 47

imported post

Misguided Child wrote:

I was listening in on the other side of that conversation, LOL. It was Howard, Lets just say he and Leroy don't quite "Get" the whole open carry thing. They are a bit old school and neither one of them have any actual experience in OC so as such they can't seem to get their heads around the fact that I don't get taken down at gunpointon every corner. I had one bad experience with OC, it was several years ago involving Tulalip tribal police and two officers got fired over it so it turned out ok.