• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Feel like straightening out some anti-gun propaganda?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=385422&Category=14&subCategoryID=

I think of the state our country is in whenever I recall John Ireland’s stinging lines from “Red River”: “You know, there are only two things more beautiful than a good gun: a Swiss watch or a woman from anywhere.”

One would think that far too many of us believe that there is, actually, nothing more beautiful than a good gun, or they have discovered that, as the great totalitarian Mao Zedong once said, “Power comes from the barrel of a gun.”

That power has transformed too many communities into slaughterhouses. Here in New York City, which is unique in many ways, there is commonality with many other cities forced to deal with the burden of gun violence.

KILLINGS ABOUND

At the end of last week, two people were killed in their Bronx home by an unknown assailant who shot them and a third person in the head. The previous weekend brought the killing of an unarmed citizen by an off-duty police officer who seems to have been suffering from road rage.

We should all recall when three college students were killed, execution-style, in Newark, N.J., not long after a mad student killed 32 people at Virginia Tech. Don’t forget that street gangs have murdered thousands upon thousands since 9/11. Far too many believe that power comes from the barrel of a gun.

An inconvenient number are members of the National Rifle Association, which should probably be mounting a defense of the rapper T.I., who was recently arrested for buying three machine guns and silencers. The rapper surely wanted to do his hunting quietly.

The power of the NRA lobby has buckled the knees of most in Washington, D.C., and zipped the lips of presidential candidates, who dread being targeted by those who sometimes seem to want to send the country back to those good old days of gunfights like the one at the O.K. Corral.

The ever-brilliant and serious Diane Weathers joined the Brady campaign against gun violence while she was editor of Essence magazine in 2000. Weathers, who stage-managed the “Taking the Music Back” campaign against misogyny in popular music, was appalled by ongoing levels of gun violence that are addressed by almost no one in a high position, for fear of bringing down the wrath of the NRA.

TOO LITTLE DEBATE

“The biggest problem,” says Weathers, “is that there is no debate of national consequence. No one uses the term ‘gun control’ anymore because it has been reduced to a four-letter word by the NRA, which seems to think that they cannot give in on waiting periods, better ways of tracing the owners of weapons used in crimes, or any of the developments in forensics that could parallel what DNA has done for effective law enforcement. We desperately need a good, high-profile debate so that the public can see how it is being misled by those who claim to have their liberty at heart.”

COMPARE HIGHWAY SAFETY

I think Weathers is correct, but what we actually have before us is a confusion about the nature of rights. The NRA always couches its argument as a defense of our American rights as opposed to governmental control. But there is a reason why highways are engineered as well as they can be. The driver has the right to travel as safely as possible.

Citizens of America should have as much of a right to safety from gun violence as possible. But they probably will not understand the issue until the talk takes up more space in our political life.

Stanley Crouch’s e-mail address is:

scrouch@edit.nydailynews.com

Legba

imported post

Mao was describing political power, particularly,as coming from the barrel of a gun, and not just "street cred."

As for me, I have been victimized by crime directly, and I'm firmly convinced that people are better off taking as much responsibility for their own security as they can, including gun ownership and the responsibilities that attend it. JMO.

-ljp

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

It’s not the gun that's the problem. Take guns out of the mix and then it will be knives that are the problem. Ban knives and it will be baseball bats.

It’s not the object that is the problem. It’s the lack of respect for human life.

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments"
(Matthew 22:36-40).

Therefore, when you remove the two greatest commandments from society, you have no respect for life or the value for life.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

color of law wrote:
It’s not the gun that's the problem. Take guns out of the mix and then it will be knives that are the problem. Ban knives and it will be baseball bats.
Exactly! Thereare severalgood pro gun comments on this story. Thanks to anyone who left a comment.

Joe Sixpack

imported post

"It’s not the gun that's the problem. Take guns out of the mix and then it will be knives that are the problem. Ban knives and it will be baseball bats.

It’s not the object that is the problem. It’s the lack of respect for human life."

i could'nt agree more, actually i dont know if it is true but i read somewhere once that more deaths are attributed to fist fights then gun shots each year, and there are several time more deaths from stabbings.

lets face it human body is an amazing organism but it's also fragile not preticularly hard to kill.

no matter what killings will still continue either from lack of respect for life or simple heat of the moment man slaughter..

it's just the way the world is and while no one likes it, it's a fact of life, imo all the statistics i've seen do not seem rampant or out of control but i suppose the anti's will never be happy untill the number is 0, which can not happen unless there are no guns and then the criminals will just make their own or spring up a underground black market.

it's sort of like with terrorism.. everyone was freaked out but it's a fact of life and the only way to avoid it is to lock everyone up in prisons.. but most would agree that sort of safety is not worth your every freedom..

i dont want to see people die in terrorist attacks.. but people can't beblind to the fact that it has and will happen again.. it's not a matter of everyone doing their job.. it's not a matter of IF but WHEN.. anyone who can't come to terms with that will probably suffer the most.

as they always say "freedom is'nt free", most people think that means sending men and women off to die on some distant land so you can choke down your cheese burger.. it's just words.. untill it's your own blood that may be spilt to continue freedom.

we can not degrade the very freedoms our soldiers fight and pay for with their lives by blindly giving them up in the name of fear for safety.. to do so i feel is a great disrespect to the soldiers both past and present.

my 2 cents