• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DMV license issue question

VAopencarry

imported post

Spudstr wrote:
Called the help line. They said I still have to wait the 30 days regardless a REI or DUP, no DMV record to help nothing Just have to wait. Even though the law says a DMV record would work.. unless thats only for Duplicates and not re-issues due to address changes.
As mentioned above, they do not know jack down there. Probably the same person that once told me "We don't get into that legal stuff here" or "That must be a federal thing" Me: I am looking RIGHT AT IT IN THE VA CODE!!

I can't find a copy online but right on the State form it says, 30 days must have elapsed since the date of issue of an ORIGINAL or DUPLICATE license......

Virginiaplanter

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Here is the relevant Virginia code:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2C2
When the photo-identification presented to a dealer by the prospective purchaser is a driver's license or other photo-identification issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, and such identification form contains a date of issue, the dealer shall not, except for a renewed driver's license or other photo-identification issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, sell or otherwise transfer a firearm to the prospective purchaser until 30 days after the date of issue of an original or duplicate driver's license unless the prospective purchaser also presents a copy of his Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles driver's record showing that the original date of issue of the driver's license was more than 30 days prior to the attempted purchase.

The best people to call on this is the Virginia Firearms Transaction Center helpline.
(804) 674-2292

Longwatch is correct. The statute clealry states except for a renewed license.

Black's law dictionary states:

Issue: , n., The act of issuing, sending forth, emmitting or promulgating; the giving a things its first inception;

This is not your first license right as you moved within the state? Then it's not a first inception it's a renewal. The entire wording regarding DMV photo ID's was added in 1994

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?941+ful+CHAP0624

Under accepted rules of Statutory construction: "‘[T]he primary objective of statutory construction is to ascertain and give effect to legislative intent.'" Crews v. Commonwealth, 3 Va. App. 531, 535-36, 352 S.E.2d 1, 3 (1987) (quoting Turner v. Commonwealth, 226 Va. 456, 459, 309 S.E.2d 337, 338 (1983)). In interpreting statutes, "courts should give the fullest possible effect to the legislative intent embodied in the entire statutory enactment." Virginia Real Estate Bd. v. Clay, 9 Va. App. 152, 157, 384 S.E.2d 622, 625 (1989). [w]hile in the construction of statutes the constant endeavor of the courts is to ascertain and give effect to the intention of the legislature, that intention must be gathered from the words used, unless a literal construction would involve a manifest absurdity.’ "The Court has stated the related principle that "the plain, obvious, and rational meaning of a statute is always to be preferred to any curious, narrow, or strained construction." Statutes should not be interpreted in ways that produce absurd or irrational consequences."

It's a renewal , not an issue and there is no justification that the legislature meant anything other than this requirement be applied to a first time issue. It is clear that they did not write this wording to penalize people who comply with the law and renew their license. That would be an absured reading of the text.

VAopencarry

imported post

Take in your vehicle registration that has the prior address. The issue date will show you have lived in Virginia more than 60 days from the date it was issued.

I wanted topoint out this is why you never ask a cop about gun laws. We all know 229's comment makes logical sense but it is incorrect. We also know logic and gun laws are like oil and water.

I just called up Loudoun Guns Inc, and asked. They said it requires to have the new license for 30 days. I asked about gun shows.. he said well.. maybe because gun shows are more lenient I could probably purchase there.

I can't fukin believe this!!! More lenient at gun shows?, this from a gun dealer, jeeeez the anti's have everyone believing this crap.

Spud, you stated as 'new' license, is this what you asked or did you say re-issue?

Spudstr

imported post

Spud, you stated as 'new' license, is this what you asked or did you say re-issue?

I told him I moved from ashburn to reston and updated my license at the DMV. He hesitated about the gun show when I asked him and was unsure about it. I did ask him even if i went to the DMV and got a driving record and he still said no it did not matter.

So either A. they are playing it safe or b just unsure of the complete law.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think this is an excellent basis for a complaint, this stuff can only get corrected if we make some noise about it. Like roll call training after open carry incidents the can only change if they are shown they are wrong. I would suggest a letter to Donna Tate at the FTC CC Philip Van Cleave.

nickerj1

imported post

The primary form of identification shall consist of a valid photo-identification form issued by a governmental agency of the Commonwealth or of the prospective purchaser’s home state that denotes the purchaser’s name, sex, date of birth, and address. Where the primary form of identification is a photo-identification issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, the date of issuance must exceed sixty (60) days from the date of new issue or duplicate issue unless the prospective purchaser also presents a copy of his/her Department of Motor Vehicles driver's record showing that the original date of issue exceeds sixty (60) days.

longwatch wrote:
Here is the relevant Virginia code:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2C2
When the photo-identification presented to a dealer by the prospective purchaser is a driver's license or other photo-identification issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, and such identification form contains a date of issue, the dealer shall not, except for a renewed driver's license or other photo-identification issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, sell or otherwise transfer a firearm to the prospective purchaser until 30 days after the date of issue of an original or duplicate driver's license unless the prospective purchaser also presents a copy of his Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles driver's record showing that the original date of issue of the driver's license was more than 30 days prior to the attempted purchase.

The best people to call on this is the Virginia Firearms Transaction Center helpline.
(804) 674-2292

Any chance you have a VA issued ID that wasn't issued by the DMV? Then you don't have to worry about the issue dates.