• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pulled over last Monday

AbNo

imported post

I just want to say, first of all, that my home state did away with vehicle inspections TWENTY YEARS AGO, as we found them too crude and barbaric.

Second of all, the Harrisonburg DMV needs to tell people when a vehicle tax isn't paid at the DMV, like it is in Virginia Beach.

Third, you can skip this next paragraph, I just found it an amusing anecdote.

I was driving home from a friend's house Monday afternoon, waiting at a stop sign for an H'burg cop to go by, when he stares at me from his car, clearly says into his cell phone "I gotta go.", turns beside me, makes an illegal u-turn BEHIND me, and pulls me over a couple of blocks later.

Anyway, Ofc. LEO (can't remember his name) notices the 1911 on the passenger's seat.

He starts with "Do you have a permit for that?"

"No permit needed for open carry."

"Oh, ok..." (Yes, he said that...)

He takes my ID, change of address card, registration, and goes back to his car.

And we wait. And wait. And wait...

Wait a little more.

Finally, his backup arrives. He is some soft-faced guy with a forced scowl, standing at the LEO standard spot on the passenger side, about 10-15 feet back. Intimidating glares are lost on this guy, even though he's obviously been on the force for a while...

Eventually... After waiting what seemed to be 10-15 minutes AFTER Ofc. Scowly has been standing there.... "Mr. [AbNo], can you come over here?"

Apparently, I'm about 5 months behind on my inspection, and Harrisonburg doesn't automatically add your vehicle tax on at the DMV, so I was also lacking a sticker (which I now have...).

I got a couple of questions about whether or not I was planning on getting a permit at some point. I told him yeah, someday. If I'd thought about it, I'd have told him I wouldn't be able to afford it now.

He then made the comment that it wasn't too common for people to "be driving around like that." I simply shrugged and was off.

I'll tell you one thing, it took EVERY BIT of my will power not to laugh at Scowly Mc.GrumpyPants and his "Grr, I am MEAN!" look.

I'm sure it's not what he was intending, it IS what I was getting out of it.

Or, maybe H'burg PD is just used to dealing with silly little JMU kids drinkning underage, I don't know...

Either way, a neutral encounter. Though if I see GrumpyPants anytime soon, I might ask him if he does children's parties.

I can't help it, he looked so silly! Like a boy in a grown man's body TRYING to look tough.

just a guy with a Glock

imported post

LOL, after my incident with Virginia State Police I purchases a $29.00 single use video recorder for my vehicle. I named it Parker, after the Trooper. You know what to name yours.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

AbNo wrote:

Wait a little more.

Apparently, I'm about 5 months behind on my inspection, and Harrisonburg doesn't automatically add your vehicle tax on at the DMV, so I was also lacking a sticker (which I now have...).

So did the cop stop you because you didn't have the appropriate, current, sticker?

Did you get a citation/ticket for your alleged offences?

vrwmiller

imported post

What inspection are you referring to? Is this the safety inspection? Emission inspection? I believe that either of these offenses are compliance offenses. In other words, take your new inspection receipt and results and proof of payment with you to court and the citation will be dismissed.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it was a safety inspection because that sticker is much larger than the stickers on the plate (which identify that an emissions inspected was performed within the last 3 years, if you're in an area that requires emissions inspections). If that is the case, I wonder how you could not have been aware that your inspection was up. Unless, of course, you didn't even have this sticker.

Vehicle taxes are not administered or handled by the DMV, only registration fees. Vehicle (or personal property taxes) are administered by your local municipality.

Welcome to VA. Glad that the presence of the firearm did not lead the LEO into inappropriate reactions. Another good thing is that you were not physically disarmed, apart from being told to exit the vehicle.

AbNo

imported post

Yeah, "safety" inspection. There's that word again.

I don't really spend a lot of time look at the bottom center of my windshield while driving, so I didn't really notice it.

Oh, and Miller, in Virginia Beach, they do take your vehicle taxes at the DMV, and that's where I lived in VA first.

Repeater

imported post

AbNo wrote:

Wait a little more.
During this time, did he ever ask for consent to search?

Or after you were free to leave?

AbNo

imported post

*facepalm*

I was pulled over, while driving, for a clearly expired vehicle inspection, and an apparent lack of city sticker.

And no, he never searched, or asked to search.

Hell, he never came back to my car after the first time.

vrwmiller

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Yeah, "safety" inspection. There's that word again.

I don't really spend a lot of time look at the bottom center of my windshield while driving, so I didn't really notice it.

Oh, and Miller, in Virginia Beach, they do take your vehicle taxes at the DMV, and that's where I lived in VA first.
I stand corrected, then. I was not aware that DMV offices in other areas of the state took personal property tax payments. My payments, in Prince William and Manassas City, have always been made to the municipality and not the DMV.

BTW, you will notice the sticker now! ;)

just a guy with a Glock

imported post

Thanks, that's what I get for posting late at night and skipping spell check. Seriously though every vehicle should have one. You have two models to choose from, 30 minutes or 60 minutes both around $30.00 and one model has a built in usb so you can hook up and down load to ytube before the cop drives away. Blackman with a gun ball caps should come with one built in.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DrMark wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
What inspection are you referring to? Is this the safety inspection? Emission inspection?
Are there localities in Virginia that require an emission inspection?
Yes, north of the Rappahanock. Just took one of my cars through. Cost about $40. Have to have the emissions done before I can get the registration renewed.

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

Hey, at least you weren't pulled over in Haymarket. They probably would've charged you with about 10 things, then thrown a hissy fit in court when the Public Defender tried to throw out the most ridiculous. He made sure I got a $200 fine, even though I explained I was speeding because of a medical emergency, and the Public Defender thought it should be thrown out.

I'm pretty sure Ofc. Scowly is just used to frowning at drunken kids who are too scared to notice that he looks like a doof. That was Officer Doofy's usual m.o.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Harrisonburg didn't used to be like that. I was born and raised on that side of the mountain and it was gun country. JMU has a lot to do with Harrisonburg being gun unfriendly, and after Massanutten was built, the Yankees (no offense to anyone):shock: started moving in, folowed by the Mexicans, followed by the spruce yuppies. They all wanted to move to the mountains but didn't like the local customs.....so they changed them.:cuss:Except the Mexicans. They wanted to sell Meth and work at the poultry plants!:cuss:

I just want to say, first of all, that my home state did away with
That single expression has caused most of the bad changes in the area and while I happen to agree with you about inspections, I can't start to tell you how much I hate to hear those words in MY HOME STATE!

A few month ago I went back for a dinner Bridgewater gave to honor my father who resigned as town attorney, They had a power point presentation showing how the town has progressed over the years. It made me sick. It hasn't progressed, it's become a sanctuary for transients and immigrants. Many of whom teach at The college, most want changes to the laws so it will be like where they came from and very few, who are native Virginians. I moved there in 53 and left in 73. Between 73 and now, most of the area has become just a distant suburb of Maryland.

On Sunday mornings, you used to see a line, several miles long, of Mennonites in buggies going to church on route 11. Most of them have cars and electricity now.

When I was in high school, you got an excused absence on the opening day of deer season if you had a hunting license and since most of us hunted in the morning before school too, we could leave our rifles in the principals office if we didn't want to leave it in the car.

My high school math teacher owned a bar on main street (Hburg was the nearest city to us) called the elbow room. He wasn't picky about ID's so on Friday and Saturday nights, most of the Junior and Senior class was there. ON Tuesday nights the Inn down the street had NICKEL NIGHT (beer for a 0.05) so most of the Junior and Senior class of TA was there.

In short, interstate 81 ruined the valley. I hate to go back anymore.:cuss:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

peter nap wrote:
My high school math teacher owned a bar on main street (Hburg was the nearest city to us) called the elbow room. He wasn't picky about ID's so on Friday and Saturday nights, most of the Junior and Senior class was there. ON Tuesday nights the Inn down the street had NICKEL NIGHT (beer for a 0.05) so most of the Junior and Senior class of TA was there.
Ahhh, the good ole dayshz....
toast.gif

vrwmiller

imported post

DrMark wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
What inspection are you referring to? Is this the safety inspection? Emission inspection?
Yes. Most, if not all, northern VA counties are required to have emissions inspections done every 3 years.

AbNo

imported post

I'll agree with you on JMU ruining this place, Peter.

I've been here barely a year and a half, and I can tell the difference between the locals, and the frat boys and sorostitutes.

'ell, a buddy of mine from around here that graduated from and works for JMU complains that JMU pretty much dictates H'burg policy without giving anything back to the city.

Unless you count red conical blossoms all up and down 11 and Port Republic.

292688342OFygDF_th.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

'ell, a buddy of mine from around here that graduated from and works for JMU complains that JMU pretty much dictates H'burg policy without giving anything back to the city.

It's not just Harrisonburg. It's the whole area. JMU was Madison College when I was in High School and was an all girls school. Used to go there to pick up women. The grey stone buildings were the only ones there until I was a senior in High school and they built the NOW OLD, student union building.

I hunted quail on Port Republic road when I didn't feel like going to the mountains. I rember buying a 6.5 Italian Carcano at the A&N store for 15.00 with NO PAPERWORK!

I trapped for a living for two years before meeting my wife and moving to Hanover.

Going to Harrisonburg was going to the big city for me.

I have a farm now in extereme southern Va that I hope to retire on. There is no interstate near it and my nearest neighbor is a mile away. Hopefully it will stay rural until I go to my reward.

I was born in Shenandoah County in the same house my father was born in. It is now a bed and breakfast.

I'm rapidly running out of country!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
DrMark wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
Yes. Most, if not all, northern VA counties are required to have emissions inspections done every 3 years.
It's every two years.