• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

walmart the bad then the good

mrguppy

imported post

was up at walmart tonight with my ma. well she had to use the bathroom and asked if i could do the whole check out thing so that we could leave and not waste time. so i went back to the video section to check out. the employee back there(did not catch his name, had black hair that was a little long) told me that i could not open carry.
not the exact words but as close as i can remember

him: you know i retired from the sheriffs dept. up in maryland
me: (wondering what brought this up) ok
him: so what do you do
me: i am in between jobs at the moment
him: so your not a cop
me: no why
him: why do you have a gun then
me: personal protection.
him: you know we just had someone arrested because they wanted to carry a gun around town with them.
me: you do know that it is legal according to your corporate policy.
him: well we have a bank in here and it is apart of the store and that is why the took him away. they waited for him outside.
me: well it might have been something else then.
him: well you do what you want just remember i told you

i paid and left to go back up front. at that point i went to one of the managers to ask them about this. the lady that i talked to said that she did not know and went to ask another manager or he was one step up cuz he wore a dress shirt and dress pants. he then came over and told me dont worry that if i want to OC or CC in the store then i m more then welcome. he then went to say that he has had a problem with this guy and would deal with him later. at that point i had not told him who it was that i had the problem with. he then went to tell me that he was sorry and to have a good night. all in all the guy up front manager or someone high up took me by surprise. left feeling pretty good.

just a guy with a Glock

imported post

In Virginia it is not illegal to carry a firearm into a bank. Additionally there is no Federal Law (people often throw that out) prohibiting carrying a firearm into a bank. In some States Financial establishments are prohibited places, in Virginia you are OK.

mrguppy

imported post

just a guy, with a Glock wrote:
In Virginia it is not illegal to carry a firearm into a bank. Additionally there is no Federal Law (people often throw that out) prohibiting carrying a firearm into a bank. In some States Financial establishments are prohibited places, in Virginia you are OK.

that is what i have read also but this guy would not listen at all. i even offered to pull out the law saying that it was legal but him would not listen. good thing is that the manager was on my side.

Shovelhead

imported post

that is what i have read also but this guy would not listen at all. i even offered to pull out the law saying that it was legal but him would not listen. good thing is that the manager was on my side.

Sometimes you just have toremember that old saying:

"Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time, and annoys the pig"

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I'm glad to here the manager took your side. Unfortunately, the guy who challenged your right to OC seems to have the elitist attitude that pops up among LEOs every once in a while. It's not right, and I'm glad to see you stood your ground.

vrwmiller

imported post

mrguppy wrote:

He was retired sherrif's dept. in MD. Need we say more? ;)

vtme_grad98

imported post

mrguppy wrote:

You have learned one of the cardinal rules of OC. The most moronic statement you ever hear regarding it will generally be preceeded by the words "I used to be a cop".

mrguppy

imported post

Shovelhead wrote:

Sometimes you just have toremember that old saying:

"Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time, and annoys the pig"

:lol:

just a guy with a Glock

imported post

vtme_grad wrote:
mrguppy wrote:

You have learned one of the cardinal rules of OC. The most moronic statement you ever hear regarding it will generally be preceeded by the words "I used to be a cop".
I have to agree 100%, ever notice how a bunch of Walmart greeters, security cards, and nosy clowns with pocket protectors ALL USED TO BE COPS. If true there wouldn't be hardly any officers left to patrol, they would all be at Walmart. Same with alot of posters to this and other boards- all claiming to be ex-cops. I sometimes would like to say: "So what, the law is different in Every state. Besides you worked in DC that isn't even a State and never will be".A buddy ofmine was a county prosecutorfor a while right out of law school, and he once told memost cops have no clue with respect to the law. 12 hours of training in criminal laws just is not enough, and that's what many juristic ions get.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

I like how he put it in there that he was an ex leo as if that verifies that he was right. My reply when asked if I'm a cop is usually "no I have real job skill refueling nuclear submarines."

sccrref

imported post

mrguppy wrote:
forgot to say that this is the one off of nimo pkwy
I OC in there all the time. I have never had any issues what so ever. I might make it a point to specifically go to that department tonight. Always up for a trip to Wally World. Glad it turned out alright for you.

sccrref

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
I like how he put it in there that he was an ex leo as if that verifies that he was right. My reply when asked if I'm a cop is usually "no I have real job skill refueling nuclear submarines."
I think that I would have to respond to him " I can understand why you are an ex cop."

GMZ

imported post

sccrref wrote:
mrguppy wrote:
forgot to say that this is the one off of nimo pkwy
I OC in there all the time. I have never had any issues what so ever. I might make it a point to specifically go to that department tonight. Always up for a trip to Wally World. Glad it turned out alright for you.
Yes indeed, I may go there today matter of fact!

casullshooter

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
him: you know i retired from the sheriffs dept. up in maryland
I think he needs to go back to Maryland.
Long and correct name: Peoples Republic of Maryland
tongue.gif